Which comic book characters have their own comics?

Oh, no, I’m calling BS on that one. The assistant editors’ month issues are excluded on the grounds of being goofy.

But speaking of the Hulk, that reminds me of an incident in which one Hulk mag was placed within the continuity of another but in a different format. There was a b&w mag called IIRC “Rampaging Hulk” which included an alien named Bereet, who later turned up in the regular Hulk comic as a “movie director.” The Hulk stories from Rampaging were revealed to be “movies” she’d created.

In the current run of She Hulk she goes to the archives to research a case she is working on, and it turns out the archives are comic books.

Expanding on the previous post, the “longboxes” (as the archives are called) are approved by the Comics Code Authority, therefore are government approved, and are therefore admissible as evidence in court. Seems kinda iffy logic considering only the FF have public identities for the most part, and now that Marvel is self censored, I guess that rule only applies to comics printed before 2001(?).

Tom Strong has his own comic book.

Alan Moore’s sexy and voluptuous heroine of Indigo City, the Cobweb, was also the “star” of some Tijuana Bibles. When she met the heroic Greyshirt, he admitted to her that he was a big fan, and had kept a collection of those naughty little Cobweb comics for most of his life. Needless to say, they hit it off pretty well after that. This all took place in Moore’s Tomorrow Stories, by the way.

There was also the unbelievably ill-conceived team-up between Spider-Man and the original cast of Saturday Night Live, which occurs during a taping of the later which is being guest-hosted by Stan Lee who, within the continuity of the comic, is still primarily famous for being a publisher of super-hero comics, The Avengers in particular.

As the redoubtable editor of Gone and Forgotten so often says, this is exactly why I hate comics.

On a few occasions, Chris Claremont wrote himself into the pages of various X-books, usually with what he plainly hoped would be hilarious results. Doesn’t X-men Annual 7 involve the Impossible Man raiding the old Marvel Park Avenue offices for example?

There was certainly an Excalibur Annual (maybe just a special edition) that featured Mojo’s X-Baby clones of the X-men bumping into Claremont and a bunch of other writers and editors by the side of the road in Scotland. I think Kitty Pryde & the X-Babies borrow their car or something, stranding them (I forget the fine detail). The other writers then all glare at Claremeont and say that this is all his fault.

I loved the X-men comics as a teenager but even back then, I dreaded Chris Claremont’s attempts to be funny.

Whoops - followed the link and posted without paying attention the age of the thread.

Sorry!

Weren’t the Hellcat comics in the OP about the original Hellcat, aka Patsy Walker’s mother, aka the author of those comic books? It’s been YEARS since I read that storyline, so I’m not absolutely certain.

The Thing had a meeting with the staff of Marvel Team-Up, a comic which prominantly featured him teaming with other Marvel heroes. He objected to the way the staff portrayed his fight with a 5th-rate villain, making it appear that the Thing had a great deal of difficulty winning, & the writers/artists/editors told him it was “for dramatic effect”.

Ben subequently got “all dramatic” on them, forcing the Staff to eat their own comic.
:smiley:

Oh, & the Supers in The Incredibles all had their own comics, in the Glory Days era. Merchandising, too.

Since this thread first happened, I’ve become aware of and read Marvels Comics - a handful of one-shots from 2000 that are supposed to be issues of the in-universe comics about the Marvel heroes. Interresting idea (the Cap issue was taken from the era that Steve was drawing - IIRC, Rick Jones was the writer, but the books weren’t mine, so I no longer have), but if they were actually what’s selling in the Marvel U, no wonder the Mutant books don’t sell, and I’m not talking about the fact that most of the Marvel universe hates mutants. X-Men was 9 kinds of horrible. Not only for the obvious anti-mutant sentiment in the book, and the libellous portrayal of the X-Men, but the non-mutants who were lumped in as Evil Mutants were ridiculous - Dr Strange was the head of an evil mutant cult, and murdered the current Iron Man (who was just a faceless Stark Industries employee, not Stark himself, of course). Fantastic Four was supposed to be authorised, and was actually one of the better 616 FF stories I’ve read. Spider-man reads like JJ Jameson was sponsoring it, untill the last few pages, where it takes an interesting turn that I’d like to have seen more of. I can’t remember any other details, offhand.

That issue also had one of his licenced heroes dropping in to ask about his royalties (the publisher fed him a line of BS about poor sales and claimed that the T-shirts, etc, were covered by a “promotional items” clause) and a confrontation with a local heroine angry about the comic’s insunuations of a lesbian relationship with her partner (the publisher brazens it out and points out that supers can testify in masked ID only in criminal matters, not civil lawsuits).

Toonopedia says no, as does Wikipedia.

AH! That’s right! The comics were about Patsy, not Hellcat. My brain scrambled everything around there…

Ozymandias in Watchmen had his own cartoon show.

And the original Silk Spectre appeared in a certain publication…

“Where the Action Is,” reprinted in the Astro City: Local Heroes collection (I re-read that last night :wink: ).

It’s also interesting to note that “Where the Action Is” mentions the existence of fictional comic-book heroes as well, such as Batman and The Atom.

And technically speaking, “Action” has a number of pissed-off superheroes, as well as two villains, if you include the farting gnat. :wink: