Which Does The Most Damage To A Person Presenting A Threat To You?

The Knee IS the most effective of all those moves assuming you can pull them off with accuracy. However, for your average untrained monkey, I’d recommend driving the elbow up into the jaw/ chin of the attacker. It only takes a little practice to master this technique and is about as devastating as you can get without learning some significant moves.

You do this by stepping forward while making a motion like you are throwing something over your shoulder. Now do it with your arm tightly together, and while keeping your hand closed.

For those who panic and don’t have the option of running, cross both arms covering your face and neck, wait for your attacker to get close and rush them hard. Unless there is a massive discrepancy of size they will not be able to stand against you. Then run, making as much noise as humanly possible. Sounding like a rabid chimp on PCP helps.

Yeah, hitting the knee hard and then running is the way to go if you can. He shouldn’t be able to pursue effectively.

It wasn’t on the list, but my college roommate took several different martial arts, and he said all of the instructors said that in a serious life-or-death fight, always open with the kick to the 'nads, then do your fancy martial arts moves afterwards if you feel like.

Punching in the stomach. It’s a rather vast area, so a lesser risk to miss the target.

And it’s soft, so you don’t hurt your hand.

Eye poke or ear clap. Both very painful.

From the options given I would kick’em in the knee. I’m only 5’ tall so going for the face doesn’t appeal to me.

Damage-wise I suppose the nose option is the best but head-butting is ridiculous and stupid. I’m not saying it can’t be done just…I mean Christ, just learn to throw a punch. :slight_smile:

Elbow strikes are great but I tend to view them as more of a ground maneuver.

If I get attacked I’m going to work my low center of gravity and maybe pull my knife. Seems like one of those situations that defies a specific answer.

An eye clap is even more painful…but not very easy.

Why leave out fists or wrestling moves? Both seem to be more instinctive, natural reactions. If I’m in a situation where physical violence is necessary, I’m much more likely to either punch the guy, or shoot in for the leg, float over and hook a choke to end the fight than I am to be trying some sort of half-assed martial arts technique as seen on Kung Fu Theatre.

Hand to hand combat sucks, so I picked Run. If you practice enough with HtH to make it worthwhile, I suspect your answer will be similar to pravnik’s. I hope you have your criminal defense lawyer on speed-dial. For everyone else, get out of Dodge. And do consider the possibility of flight ahead of time. IOW, by the time you’ve pounded a dozen shots with the local motorcycle gang and decide to discuss politics or gender relations, it’s probably too late to run.

If you reasonably believe you or a loved one are at imminent risk of loss of life or serious bodily harm and you/they can’t leave, then follow Rand Rover’s advice, and use a firearm to stop the threat. And if you choose to carry, please practice ahead of time: you can’t count on the gun being a talisman that magically keeps away bad guys. Definitely have your lawyer on speed-dial.

Perhaps it’s living in Texas and being middle aged, but I am surprised by how blithely people consider violence to be a solution to problems, that IMHO, don’t require violence to solve.

All quite true, but I will cheat and say “a combination of blows”. For instance, I taught the slap to the ears as the set-up for a head butt and knee lift. If you do the ear pop right, it shocks the assailant into temporary immobility, and you therefore slide your hands around to the back of his neck and then head butt, and follow with a knee kick to the groin. Then you run like hell, of course.

Regards,
Shodan

If we can add our own options to the poll, then gun is good. Swords, knives, grenades, lasers and smart bombs are other options. A bodyguard would be good, or an attack dog, or a robot if we go beyond simply weapons. Then there’s magic, turn the guy into a toad, then kick him. Spontaneous combustion is a good idea too.

Since I forgot to click the *Other *box that **Quasi **forgot to put in the poll, I’ll stick with my original answer.

To do the Ear Poke properly, you need to wet your finger.