Which Earth's solar system is more populated: Marvel or DC?

(That should really be “Which Sol System,” I suppose, but what the hell…)

As in the title, I was just wondering: which version of Earth’s solar system is more heavily populated, the one from DC Comics or the one from Marvel comics?

Earth’s population itself, I imagine, probably isn’t that different between universes, though it might be skewed by underwater or underground populations (Atlanteans, Mole People, stuff like that), and I have no idea how they stack up.

I know DC’s Mars is or was populated, once, but I don’t think Marvel’s is. But I think some of the moons in the Marvel universe (including Earth’s) are inhabited, though I don’t know by how many.

Aaand…after due consideration, I’m deciding for now not to count lands of the dead/afterlives or realms of deities, even if they have a definite physical location.

So…'little help?

Realize this might vary from month to month.

Both universes have had a planet on the opposite side of the sun from Earth, but no longer do.

Marvel’s Earth’s moon was once the home of the Inhumans, but no longer is.

Marvel’s Uranus was once home to the Uranian Eternals, but I am unclear as to their current status.

DC’s Mars was home to the Green and White Martians, now all but extinct.

Both universes have inhabitants in Saturn or one of its moons - the Titanian Eternals in Marvel, and J’emm’s people in DC. Unfortunately, exact population figures are hard to come by. Though J’emm’s people are an entire race, and the populations of Marvel’s Eternals are typically smaller.

Marvel’s Agent’s of Atlas revealed that there is a population of sentient, amorphous, hivemind, Uranians.

I think Aquaman and Namor’s people could probably cancel each other out. Busiek’s new Aquaman run from a few years back really underlined how populous the oceans are.

Off topic: is it at all feasible that a planet in our solar system could have an orbit that completely hides it from discovery from the surface of Earth?

I would guess DC, because they add so many extra (huge) cities to Earth. Isn’t Metropolis an entirely different city than New York (i.e. there’s a NY, NY in DC, but Metropolis overshadows it)?

Do we count alternate universes?

If it’s in Earth’s orbital plane, orbiting with the same period, but on the opposite side of the sun, how could we see it?

If we did, the question goes from ridiculous to impossible.

Metropolis is in Delaware, in most DC geographical materials. But yes, there’s also New York.

Only by virtue of being really, really far away (thus needing a different energy source than sunlight). A planet on the opposite side of the Sun from us wouldn’t be stable-- It’d drift in its orbit until it got really close to Earth.

And Gotham’s in Jersey (generally).

Don’t foeget Kandor!

It’s gravity would disturb the orbits off the other planets. Plus, we have enough space probes out there to see it.

During the Avengers-JLA crossover*, Superman, while surveying Marvel-Earth, notes that it is somewhat smaller than his own, and that several countries were missing from the former. So I suspect that DC-Earth is more populous.

To me that pretty ends all debate. While there are other inhabited planets in both universes’ Sol systems, their populations are trivial. I don’t imagine there are more than 100,000 inhumans, and I’m certain the Titanian Eternals number far, far less than that.

DC’s Sol system has more people by a mile. Well, by an AU.
*During which Thor was TOTALLY ROBBED, because everyone knows that God of Thunder > Man of Steel.

Yes. Sometimes Metropolis is portrayed as being bigger than NYC, sometimes smaller. But either way, both it and Gotham are at least as big as LA, probably bigger. I imagine Marvel-USA is about the size of the real one, while DC-USA is already at the 400 million mark.

How could we? DC-Earth & Marvel-Earth are alternate universes of one another; it’s just that cross-overs are very rare. There’s been, what six?

(I’m not counting stories like Superman versus Spider-Man; those are taking place on a world where the heroes of both companies coexist. Though why there’d be both the Avengers and the Justice League is unclear to me.)

The same reason there’s an Avengers, and a Defenders, and an X-Men?

Or why there’s a Justice League, and a Justice Society, and an Outsiders?

ETA: [sub]Pssst…it’s because they can sell more issues per month if they have more teams to make issues of![/sub]

Do the Defenders even exist anymore?

Anyway, back when all three were vibrant (and of course the Fantastic Four was around too), they had somewhat different missions. The X-Men are obviously focused on mutant issues primarily and Professor X’s endless familial crap secondarily. They never chased bank robbers; they rarely did stuff like helping out in natural disasters (although, really, Storm & Wolverine are made for that work). The Avengers were general super-crime, assistance in natural disasters, and were generally point on alien invasions. The Defenders did mystic crap; I can recall at least two occasions in which the Avengers were called in to deal with a menace, immediately realized it was a mystic problem, and called Strange & his crew in without further ado.

The Avengers & the JLA are the same basic concept, though: a group of unrelated heroes handling stuff even their mightiest members can’t handle singly. (Admittedly JLA was somewhat purer in that, since most of the classic League members always had individual cases going on, which was less true of the classic Avengers members.) I’d think that, early in the history of both organizations, Cap & Supes would get together and say “You know, we’re splitting our resources here in a silly way.” Or Bruce & Tony would meet and say, “Why are we spending all this money on two groups separately? How many headquarters do we NEED?”

Why would it drift more – or less – than our planet does? So long as they’re equally distant from the sun, wouldn’t each one take just as long to complete the same circle?

At equilibrium, yes. But it’s an unstable equilibrium: Disturb either planet slightly, and the disturbance will tend to grow, due to gravitational interactions between them.

Considering that both example planets orbiting opposite Earth were only in existence for a few years or a few months, I think it’s safe to say such effects wouldn’t have time to ripple far enough.