Which episode in Michael Palin's travelogues?

yeah, that’s what in my mind

paging **Ianzin **…

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

(I expect him to say “It’s a really obvious trick, but nobody in this thread is anywhere close”)

I’ve PM’d him, hopefully he’ll be along soon to explain.

Well, to be perfectly honest all that Ianzin can offer is educated speculation as to how it’s done based on an incomplete bit of cut shot and edited video evidence. That’s really all I, you or anyone can do. John Chang is the only one who knows for sure.

My speculation is based on 16 years experience as an amateur, close-up, magician… and I am not speaking in absolutes, just offering one possibility to how it is done… or probably more accurately, how I would do it.

Well, I’m an amateur magician too.

But Ianzin is a professional, and he’s written books on cold reading, so he has a specialized knowledge of psychic trickery. I think I’ll valur his opinion more than yours, or any guess that I’d make.

I believe the aecondary mechanism was coiled tungsten filament. His first is stored energy.

Oooh… all bow before Pete M and Ianzin! The absolutes.
You’re just afraid of innovation.

Hey, aren’t you on the wtrong board? Why are you off the JREF forum. DENIZENS OF THE skEPTIKS FOLLOW Mr IN A HERETICAL CAMPAIGN.

What I wanna know from the management of these boards- please tell me why these hostile invasions and prejudiced tones from the JREF board are tolerated? Shouldn’t this fall under the Board War jurisprudence?

Or wait…maybe some of the SAB are fanatic skeptikal sycophants of Randii… could it be?

To be fair, I think you kind of invited it when you appeared to be entertaining the possibility that the man has electricity-generating organs.

And it’s deeply, deeply ironic that you class Peter Morris as a JREF Denizen.

I never entertained the idea that he might have electric organs. My statements implied that there are other precedents for this phenomenon in nature and that there is a possibility, however slight, that his is a genuine ability. Unlike some others, I never dismiss any possibilities, no matter how improbable or seemingly impossible-- I try to keep an open mind. And, mostly I was trying to generate some discussion.

Yea, I was thinking of somebody else there… I always confuse Peter Morris with another JREF guy. Sorry Peter, my mistake.

I honestly have no idea what ideas you entertained - I can’t see inside your head - all I can go by is your words on the screen, which do make it appear that you were entertaining the possibility.

And anyway:

That is called entertaining the possibility.

I never once imply anywhere that he has some extra electricity-generating organ. I didn’t entertain this thought, that’s what you inferred.

Firstly, you can’t tell what I’m inferring, because inference is a logical process, occuring (or not) in my mind. I think you mean implied

Secondly, I did not imply that you’re entertaining this or that thought, in fact, I’m not implying anything - i’m stating it outright - here it is again:

You appeared to be entertaining the possibility that the man has electricity-generating organs.

Please don’t bother to reply to anything other than what I have actually said.

No, he meant inferred.

You’re right that we don’t know your thoughts, we can only judge from your words. But your words certainly imply that you inferred that. From such implication I infer that you inferred that which he never meant to imply.

Except I didn’t infer it. I was very, very careful to say that he appeared to be entertaining the possibility. This is not a weasel-term either. I’m trying to explain why the ‘hostile invasions and prejudiced tones’ were happening - that they were perhaps invited by what appeared to be credulity.

• in the same way that people might run from what appears to be a tiger (regardless whether or not it really is one).
  • I think a better analogy would be, that it’s more like a delusional person, that thinks every animal that they see is a tiger, so they’re stuck high in a tree for the rest of their lives.

I have no idea what you mean by that.

I’ve been trying to explain why I think you got a response that you found hostile and prejudiced. Not what I personally think of you or your beliefs.

Clearly not working. I shall waste my time no further.

Look, I’m sorry. But this is just the kind of lazy, bigoted, thought process that Randi and his ilk promote with prejudiced inference, and baseless assumptions which they employ in unfair and belligerent, internet, ad hominem attacks.
You drew an inference in both the transitive and intransitive that I somehow support this electric organ theory, whichy I have never stated nor implied.

My tiger analogy is a general analogy, it is not directed at you. I just believe that the so called skeptikal mindset that JREF promotes is prejudiced and confining.