Which is the fastest way down an icy mountain? Bobsled, luge, or skeleton?

Assuimg everything else is equal. I gotta assume it’s either bobsled or skeleton since those get running starts…

This article dodged the question.

P.s. i encourage smartass/jackass answers.

Fastest way down? Skis and parachute.

Smartass enough for you?

…and they really did that stunt, skiing off the edge off a huge cliff.

Wouldn’t the fastest way down be jumping off that cliff without the parachute?

Do they all use the same course? In the 2018 Olympics the fastest was doubles luge at 45.82 seconds. The slowest was skeleton at 50.02 seconds.

Yeah, and maybe a cannon?

A real answer: skeleton is slowest, then luge, and bobsled is fastest.

[Luge racers] can reach speeds in the upper 80s. Austrian racer Manuel Pfister set a record before the 2010 Olympics when he hit 96 miles per hour.

[Skeleton racers] get up to around 80 miles per hour. It’s the slowest of the three sports here.

The average speed [in bobsled] is higher than the other two sports, sitting in the low 90s. Though, the fastest speed recorded was about 125 miles per hour.

We now return to smartass answers.

I’d say the fastest way is Clark Griswold’s sled.

:+1: Bingo.

This is some quality smart-ass, right here!

They do, though my understanding is that different events may start at different points on the course.

For example, here’s a map of the sliding track in Calgary:

Makes sense. With gravity as the motive force over a course that offers friction (from ice and air), you’d expect the fastest device to be the one with the best ratio of mass to frontal area.

In response to the OP’s question, it may be worth noting that all of these work well only on a carefully prepared ice course. None would worth much on a generic icy mountain.