Which muscles, when developed, would make one punch harder?

From here:

I missed the part about working out with acceleration. Yeah, that does train the fast-twitch fibers, although I have my doubts about how well that trains the fast fatigable fibers.

The same author I quoted earlier has this to say on how he trains MMA fighters:

What you’re talking about is what physicists call impact force. The ability to generate impact force comes from the ability to accelerate, and that’s pretty much the definition of force production (recall that force is the product of mass and acceleration). The hydraulic press isn’t generating much in the way of impact force because it’s not accelerating itself at any significant rate.

Umm, that guy seems like he knows what he’s talking about, and I’m sure you’re right. On general principle though, I don’t know if I can accept a cite from “Testosterone Nation.”

:dubious:

I’m so fast I could reach down your throat, tear your heart out and show it to you before you could react. Actually, it’s pretty standard stuff.

Physicists and wikipedia can call it “impact force” when they are playing with inclined planes and such. If we’re talking about hitting things with a punch, I think the boxing term is the correct one. I’m staying with “snap.”

Again though, what you’re saying doesn’t alter what I’ve said. One can be strong as hell and not able to punch worth a shit. “musclebound.”

Long-time martial artist checking in. All of your muscles are important. Working out with weights will improve your overall strength and fitness, which are also important, but it isn’t any substitute for punching practice. I’ve hit people hard enough in training to literally lift them off their feet. When you’ve done it just right, a punch can just about knock the wind out of you even through a thick pad and will definitely affect your balance. Doing it right depends mostly on technique, not muscle.

No matter what your system of fighting, something that’s close to universal is that you punch with your whole body. In my first dojo, the focus on the whole was considered to be so important that my teacher said that you should feel like you are punching with your little toe. He was only exaggerating slightly for effect. Whether you’re training in boxing or Wing Chun, pretty much any decent teacher will tell you to be aware of how all of your body movements affect your punch and will stress body alignment at the time of impact.

Bruce Lee did some weight training too. He focused on complex non-isolation movements. (Warm Marble). He thought that technique was more important than physique, but that if you’re going to train, you train everything, and if you’re going to hit someone, you hit with everything. You can see the results of this philosophy.