Which of McCain or Obama is better for Israel?

As a non-American supporter of Israel who only gets limited coverage of the presidential race, can anyone tell me what differences lie in McCain’s and Obama’s policies on Israel?

I’ve read Obama’s policies on Israel on his website, and there doesn’t seem to be anything too surprising or out of the oridnary there. The only difference I’m aware of is that Obama has said he’ll talk to Iran without preconditions. Have any pro-Israel groups endorsed either candidate?

I was almost tempted to ask this in GQ, as it seems there could actually be a factual answer to this question, but I figured it’d end up here. So seeing as I’m here anyway, I’ll for opinions: which of the two candidates do you think will be better for Israel? Or will the election not really make much of a difference at the end of the day?

Both candidates have been, as it were, un-endorsed by Hamas:

McCain is widely seen as having a more aggressively hawkish stance on Middle Eastern issues. Whether or not that is actually better for Israel is something that Israelis will have to decide.

I think Israelis would say McCain would be better for Israel, and it is arguable, from the Israeli perspective, that he would be.

If there was a conflict between a neighboring Arab country and Israel, and the Arab country was the aggressor, I believe McCain and Obama would react identically, and support Israel in any way necessary.

If, however, it is clear that Israel caused the conflict and aggressed its neighbor unprovoked, McCain’s reaction would not change. He would unquestioningly support Israel and take Israel’s side in the conflict. Obama, on the other hand, would try to work with both sides in the conflict to help achieve a balanced resolution.

You’d be surprised. The sophistication and balance shown in discussing these issues within Israel is an order of magnitude higher than anything found in the United States. Maybe on the Likud right side of the spectrum you would get alignment with McCain - but this is neither most Israelis, nor most American Jews.

This was in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper.

There’s more anti-Obama stuff in there, but that’s the bulk of it. How much of this is true (if any)?

ETA: I know the AIPAC part is true, but I don’t think Obama’s position there is any different to McCain, AFAIK. Other parts are new to me, and googling doesn’t reveal much.

The fact that the changed his stance on Jerusalem is a good thing for Israel. Essentially, he changed his stance to echo McCain’s, namely, Jerusalem’s Final Status is to be determined by negotiation. Unilateral declarations that Jerusalem is and will remain undivided are a very bad thing for an American President to be making.

Alessan said differently from IClaudius the other day.

The numbers would seem to agree with him, too.

Mel Levine, who is a former California state legislator and United States Congressman, and has been politically active in Jewish causes, including pro-Israel causes, for over forty years, writes:

In addition to Mel,

I think I’ll take all their words for it.

Since Obama is the Antichrist, we can at least count on him to settle that whole Temple Mount business and rebuild the Jerusalem Temple.

This is my new favorite youtube video.

In it, a McCain spokesman flat-out accuses Obama of being anti-semitic… but when called on it by CNN’s Rick Sanchez, can’t name one person (other than Khalidi) who can be tied to Obama. Well, he clearly *wants *to accuse someone else- presumably Reverend Wright- but since he can’t seem to bring himself to say that name, simply says, “We all know.”

I don’t know which side would be better for Israel, I really don’t. But I DO know that one side is clearly trying to paint the other side as being bad for Israel for nothing more than political gain.