Which of these rewards for heroism would you prefer?

But the point is I’d still have to follow somebody else’s routine and sit in an office five days a week.

If that was the only reward being offered and the only alternative was to take nothing, I’d strongly consider taking nothing.

Option 1. I like my job so 2-4 are out. Even if they weren’t, 4 would be tough even fully funded because the graduate degree I’d most like isn’t offered many places: mythology and folklore.

I’m a full-time mom and housewife, wavering between choices #3 and 4. Two years of employment @ $100G would allow me to pay off all of our debt (not really huge, but disabled husband and all.) It would easily cover the costs of childcare and transportation and all of those extras. I could set aside a few bucks for all of the kids’ educations, and my own retirement. And I’m damned good at what I did in my previous professional life, so there’s a good chance I’d keep a 6-figure job at the end of two years.

But four years of college, with a stipend that would cover childcare, transportation, etc.? Tempting. Very tempting. But I’d be almost 50 by the time I got that degree, and beginning to reach the age when folks just don’t want to hire others.

Ultimately, I’d have to choose number 3.

1. I’d probably take the cash.

2 sounds fun, but would leave me flabby and useless at the end of the year.

3 is a good deal, but I have a job. I don’t need another job

4 is tempting, but as a mature student with financial responsibilities, the stipend wouldn’t b enough to keep me afloat, unless I could do the university course alongside my job.

I’ll take option 5, which I’m basing on the following story:

A wealthy businessman accidentally swallowed a fishbone at dinner and began choking to death. Fortunately, a doctor at a nearby table noticed what was the matter, quickly took the forceps from his medical case and expertly extracted the bone. The businessman thanked him and asked what the doctor would accept as payment. The doctor replied “Just pay me half of what you were willing to pay when the bone was still stuck in your throat”.

But if that’s not on the table, the year’s salary is fine, but I’d like it based on my best year in the last fifteen, not the pittance I’m picking up as a newly qualified teacher.

Option 4. I would really, really like another degree, and having someone pay me to get one, with at least a year of lucrative employment at the end of it and so have an opportunity to make contacts and gain that crucial initial experience in a new field would be hugely rewarding for the future.