Which one hurts more, eating the hottest pepper in the world, or getting beaten up?

This is less of a factual question, and more of a discussion. Because there are so many variables, such as your sensitivity to capsaicin and how bad you get beaten up. Not to be racist, but let’s assume the beating is coming from a pack of strong blacks in a bad neighborhood. Not bad enough to kill you, but some broken bones are the result.

The hottest pepper in the world is the carolina reaper. Only 7 generations old, it’s a newly made hybrid. The closest i’ve ever gotten is salsa made of the 2nd hottest pepper in the world, the trinidad scorpion. And man that is a test of your ability to tolerate pain. If getting beaten up hurts more than that, **** it, I’m done. Living the rest of my life hiding in an underground shelter.

The carolina reaper is hotter than pepper spray, with an average of 1,569,300 scoville heat units and peak levels of over 2,200,000 scoville heat units. For reference, a habanero is 100,000-300,000 SHU. A jalapeno is 2,500-5,000 SHU. Sriracha sauce is 1,000-2,500 SHU. Eating the carolina reaper is described as “pliers clamping down on your tongue” and “10 grit sandpaper on the tongue, as hard as you can”.

I’ve never been beaten up, but I’m growing some trinidad scorpion peppers and I want to be ready, in case I wander in the wrong neighborhood and get beaten up. Need an idea of what it’s like.

Probably depends on the beat-down. The good thing about the hot pepper is that it would be over with relatively quickly (minutes, I think), while the beating could leave you sore for days.

Getting “beaten up” could be anything from a mostly harmless flash knockout to being hospitalized in the ICU with broken arms, legs, ribs, skull, brain and soul - there’s a whole lot of definitional wiggle room to being “beaten up.” That said, having been mildly to moderately beaten up and having seen videos of ghost pepper eaters suffering massively over the course of 6+ hours, outside of broken bones, internal injury or a serious concussion I’ll take getting worked over a little bit over eating any of the current world’s hottest peppers.

It’s a bad world out there. You could get beaten up by a gang of 20 blacks just for looking gay. However, the beating from looking gay might not be near as bad as the beating from a conflict with a drug dealer. I don’t plan on selling drugs, so let’s take an anti-gay beating for this purpose.

Seriously?

Whatever had the shortest duration of pain.
I rather have a root canal done and over in 15 minutes than have a pulled back muscle for a week.

Getting beaten up also comes with the pain of wearing a cast for months.

But you also can’t underestimate the pain of the hottest pepper in the world. I’ve only eaten salsa of the 2nd hottest one and it’s excruciating; force feeding it could be a form of torture, it’s unimaginable if you’re not experiencing it.

Getting beaten up also comes with the pain of wearing a cast for months.

But you also can’t underestimate the pain of the hottest pepper in the world. I’ve only eaten salsa of the 2nd hottest one and it’s excruciating as in “I WANT TO CUT OFF MY TONGUE” painful; force feeding it could be a form of torture, it’s unimaginable if you’re not experiencing it.

Seriously, no-one’s going to comment on this?

Ok, I’ll bite…there was no need to make the implicit racial point here. Or use the word “pack”.
You could’ve just said “beaten up badly enough that broken bones are the result”.

But see, if you’re trying to compare the pain of eating the hottest peppers (and not just any old peppers) with the pain of getting beat up by a pack of blacks, you need to clarify that it’s the blackest blacks (and not just any old blacks) you’re comparing with.

Moderator Action

General Questions is for factual questions. This isn’t factual.

I would move this to IMHO or Great Debates, but I’m pretty sure that the unnecessary racist and homophobic remarks are just going to derail the entire thread. So instead I am just going to close this.

Feel free to start a new thread in the appropriate forum (IMHO if you just want to poll what others think, GD if you want to argue about it), focusing only on the pain issue and the two choices, and without the racist and homophobic remarks.