Which outdated customs should go?

Open casket funerals. I think they’re creepy, morbid, scary, and a huge waste of money. I even hate the word “casket”. I don’t need to see a dead person for closure or to truly realize that they are dead. I don’t want the last memory I have of someone to be a dead body.

I want to be cremated and if my family insists on a service of some kind, display pictures of me happy and full of life enjoying times with my family. Remember my life, not a dead body.

A woman taking a man’s name when she gets married is definitely one of them.

Kindergarten graduation is another ridiculous custom that should disappear.

Sweetness Day is another one. Valentine’s Day isn’t enough?

I don’t think I ever saw a cashier standing outside of the US, but there are whole continents I never visited.

Heh, TIL.

Sweetness Day? What, you don’t like Walter Payton? :wink:

Since covid, I developed a hand gesture of respect for people who approach me with their hand extended. I call it “4 bows to the 1 before me.” It looks like this.

I disagree. Enforcing the feeling of pride at accomplishment in school at a young age like that (and they do learn so much in that first year of learning) is a great way to develop a good attitude toward their education.

You beat me to it.

Chalk me up as a second person unclear on what’s wrong with this adorable tradition.

Several people asked for clarification of this. I believe that OP is referring to adults who refuse to apologize to children, thereby wasting the opportunity to set an example of the value of apologizing.

I have always made a point of thanking children when they do something nice for me, and (perhaps even more importantly) I always apologize when I wronged them in some way.

I even hold doors open for them when the situation warrants it, just like I would for any other human being.

For some reason, I often feel self-conscious when I do these things. NOT because I think I’m wrong, but for some reason I suspect that the adults around me think I’m being silly. I don’t know why I have that suspicion. After all, I’ve never actually heard anyone speak the words “Children should be seen and not heard”, but I can feel it in the air. Ever since I was a child myself (I’m now in my 60s) I have felt an an anti-youth bias from the adults, and I’ve always tried to fight it in my own way. If I have made even one child feel like he is worthy of respect like other humans, it will have been worth it.

I suspect that the objection is from adults who have forgotten what it’s like to be a kid. To those adults, graduating kindergarten is a silly thing to celebrate, because it’s merely the first year of many.

But to the children, it is their entire scholastic career!

I actually enjoy this aspect of it, and hate the idea of “no-haggle pricing”, which is oft-advertised by local car dealers here. The idea that I’m going to just walk in and pay what they think it’s worth, especially in the realm of a major purchase, doesn’t sit well with me.

Rising when a woman enters the room (not sure that is done much any more).

Holding the door for a woman (I will hold the door for anyone, regardless of gender).

Giving up your seat on a bus/train for a woman (I do this for anyone who looks like they need to sit, regardless of gender).

And, according to legend at least, sundaes were created because it was illegal to sell sodas on Sunday. Until some time in the 1930s, it was against the law to play baseball–at least the pro kind–on Sundays. And even then for the whole time I lived in Philly, baseball was limited to the hours between 1 and 7 and no inning could start after 6:45. Since Sundays all had doubleheaders, it became increasingly hard, as games took longer–to finish by 7. I have been unable to find when the rule changed. But doubleheaders have entered the ashbin of history.

I cannot believe that men are still wearing ties. I think they restrict oxygen to the brain.

I’ve seen this given by car dealers as a reason why they don’t go to no-bargaining sales – because some people do enjoy haggling, and some people do get a sense of accomplishment or satisfaction in getting what they believe to be a better price through bargaining than they would have otherwise.

That said, I suspect that those like yourself, who like the current sales process, are in the minority. Many people are deeply uncomfortable with the confrontational or competitive nature of the current process.

No thanks. I prefer to use modern tools to get the best deal possible. For our last car, I found what I wanted on multiple lots (good luck doing that today!!) and requested e-quotes from each letting them know that I was getting them from multiple lots, and I wanted to know the exact amount to bring in the form of a cashiers check. The quotes were different and I went with the lowest. Let them know when I would come by and to get the car ready. Brought in a check and was in and out in no time.

Of course, this only works with new. But it worked really well.

I think it’s unnecessary and just silly. I’ve spent hours at a dealership while salesmen played the “ask my manager” game and all the rest of it. It’s not a challenge - it’s an inconvenient annoyance.

I also knew exactly what car I wanted and what I wanted to pay for it, got a firm quote by email, and showed up with a cashier’s check. They still played the let-me-ask-my-manager game, and the whole process at the dealership took almost 2 hours.

These were old-school guys, and I am gay so maybe they were fucking with me, but I had a sense they thought they wouldn’t be doing their job if they didn’t get to take their time doing their weird little performance.

I would’ve been out of there and never dealt with that dealership again. I ain’t got time for that type bullshit. BTW, my experience was with a Subaru dealership. When we were test driving, they were the lowest pressure (we went to two). The Toyota dealership was the typical lot vulture salesman. The Honda dealership was OK. We didn’t try any “domestics”.

I could never figure out why anyone wore them in the first place.