Which performers have disappointed you the most?

The Flaming Lips

I thought there experimentation with electronic music was a cool diversion. I thought thay by now they would be banging out more guitar rock. I am no longer interested in what they do.

Mira Sorvino?

Susan

Nope. This actress has really fall off the radar when compared with where she was doing her peak.

Al Pacino. His films in the '70s are some of the best ever, IMO.

Since about 1990 or so, however, he’s gone from good acting to big acting. Every role is “Glare at someone and shout, ‘I’M AL FUCKING PACINO! HOO-YEAH!’”

The disappointing part is that his name in a film still gets my attention.

Marisa Tomei?

As a broke college student I struggled to come up with $70 to see the PETER GABRIEL!!!(womad) concert.
I expected it to be a Peter Gabriel concert with a fantastic light/sound special f/x stage show like a U2 Popmart/Zoo TV tour. Instead it was a crappy day long world music concert with general admission (meaning to get a good seat you had to sit through 10 hours of crap bands) and he ended up coming out at the end to sing 3-4 songs with a couple people playing instruments.
Lame.

This is getting irritating. Tell us please!

The Ramones. They were part of a multi-band concert tour. Halfway through the tour it was announced that they had decided to break up the band and retire*. So I went to the last show of the tour and assumed that in what was their final performance after a couple of decades as a band, they would kick out all the stops and put on a great show. But instead, their performance was mediocre at best. They basically walked through the playlist.

*A few months later they did a farewell tour so this show was not in fact their final performance. But nobody knew this at the time.

Halle Berry?

I’m thinking Lindsay Lohan.

I like the Grateful Dead, but the only time I saw them live was around 1993 at Madison Square Gardens. The sound was terrible and they sounded tired. Additionally, I had not realized how much time they spent on free form jazz jam in lives shows. This was the 19th night in a 22 straight night performance for the Dead at MSG. It showed.

I understand from a friend that was a Dead Head that it was a poor show and probably the worst of the 22. Lucky me.

Jim

I’m still disappointed that The Eagles fired their best guitarist, Don Felder (and hired a no-name Felder soundalike to replace him) but they still keep Joe Walsh around, even though he’s only a shadow of his former self.

:eek: :frowning: Well. I knew I shoulda stayed out of this thread.

I’ll add pretty much all of the hip-hop artists I loved in the mid nineties - the Wu-Tang collective, Nas, Busta Rhymes, etc. They all used to have something - a creative energy, maybe - but that’s all gone now, and they’re just in it for the money. Sigh. But still: KRS-1. Really? That sucks.

George Michael had talent, looks and critical praise. Then he turned into a creepy drug addict. What a freaking waste.

And I still haven’t forgiven **Steve Perry ** for retiring. You’re given a voice like that and it’s your duty to share it with the world, buster.

As far as the worst live performance? Chicago. I’ve heard high school bands who were more in tune.

As to the mystery lady, I’m going with Sharon Stone.

I’m thinking Hillary Swank.

And ditto Morbo on the Scientology crap. I hear Beck is one. I guess I’ll have to burn all his cd’s now…and I don’t mean on the computer. And Leah Remini…I wish I had never found out about her being one; it somewhat taints the King of Queens reruns I love so much.

Guh-whaaaa…???

Goes to Wikipedia

I’ll be damned.

Tomei was nominated for an Oscar not long ago and was almost nominated just recently for Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead so it’s not her.

She was just on the cover of New York trying to pass herself off as Marilyn Monroe. That’s not falling off the radar.

It’s also not Halle Berry, Sharon Stone, or Hillary Swank. These women are still quite visible in the public eye and are working regularly. The period when the career of this actress seemed promising predates Berry and Swank but is about the same time Stone arrived on the scene.

Anyway, what about promising athletes who eventually proved disappointing? In baseball, the names of Jose Canseco, Darryl Strawberry, and Dwight Gooden immediately come to mind.

In basketball, Grant Hill. He was awesome in college, but his NBA career has been less than stellar. And that guy who was picked ahead of Jordan. What was his name? Sam Bowie?

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young in Cleveland, back in 1974, was by far the worst performance I’ve ever seen. This was at some mini-festival at the Cleveland stadium; The Band was also there, and Jesse Collin Young. All the other groups did well, including The Band, even though one of them (either Danko or Manuel) was sick (or fucked up) and couldn’t go on. But CSNY just sucked. If they’d never met each other, and had never heard any of the songs, they couldn’t have been much worse.

Another vote for, or against, Kate Beckinsale. One of my all-time favorite movies is “Cold Comfort Farm.” How she could go from that to the monster-movie tripe she’s been doing dumbfounds me.

My nomination for the Guess That Actress sweepstakes would be Geena Davis, although I don’t really think she fell as hard or fast as Sean Young.

he doesn’t count, since his disappearance from the public eye is voluntary…