Which US presidents were killers?

As we’ve seen, quite a few presidents have killed people. However, wouldn’t the more interesting question be how many First Lady’s have killed somebody?

Laura Bush is the only one I’m aware of.

“Ladies.”

Now that the nitpick is out of the way, please educate me – who did Laura Bush kill?

I seem to recall that as a young man, Washington was waylaid by highwaymen, & he fought them off.

Does anybody else recall reading this?

Did he kill one?

It’s news to me. I’m still trying to figure out if he threw a dollar (Austrian Maria Theresa Taller) across the Rappahannock or chopped down his father’s cherry tree.

I bet Reagan killed someone in a movie.

According to [url=http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/ihy950248.html]this link,* Abe Lincoln may have fought in at least one duel. However, even this one account says that he didn’t actually kill his opponent.

And if John Kerry is elected, he’ll be the only U.S. President ever to kill an actual commie himself. (And he’s a DEMOCRAT, no less. What’s the world comin’ to, I ask ya? :D)

And re: Laura Bush…I’m seeing some reports that she might have killed her high-school boyfriend in some sort of car accident. I’m still seeking confirmation.

Wow… now that I see it that way, they certainly seem like a homicidal lot. Does anyone know how the proportion of killer presidents compares to that for the American male population over the same time frame? That is, are killers overrepresented in the US presidency?

She killed her boy friend back in the 60’s. She ran a stop sign and he was driving a car crossing the intersection. Killed him dead. She was never even charged.
Sounds like vehicular homicide to me.

Would you like a link to the story?

People killed… for those keeping track…

John Kerry 20
GW Bush 0*
Laura Bush 1

*Does not count the 700 plus dead US soldiers who’ve died in Iraq

Here’s a comment on Laura Bush’s killing of her boyfriend from a website called

Who2.com

On the evening of 6 November 1963, two days after her 17th birthday, Laura Welch failed to stop her Chevy sedan at a stop sign and smashed into a Corvair being driven by a school chum, Michael Douglas, also 17. Laura and her passenger, Judy Dykes, were treated for minor injuries at a nearby hospital, where they learned that Douglas had died from his injuries. No police charges were filed, apparently, but paperwork from the accident is missing or unclear. Now Laura Welch is married to U. S. president George W. Bush and is known around the world as LAURA BUSH. The story made national news during the presidential election of 2000, but little new information came to light. At the time her spokesman, Andrew Malcolm, said “To this day Mrs. Bush remains unable to talk about it.”
Love that last line about Laura being…" …unable to talk about it."

Just a guess here but the guy she killed is unable to talk about ANYTHING.

toadspittle’s list gives 17 out of 43 as possibles, 7 out of 43 as confirmed. And that includes Cleveland’s role as hangman.

Since almost all the other supposed killings were in wartime that hardly seems high to me. Considering how many presidents were nominated just because they had achieved fame (or a general’s rank) in war, the proportion of confirmed is strangely low. Think of how unlikely it is for Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford all to have served in World War II and not have killed anyone.

Oh, he “killed 'em” alright, but unintentionally. He also dropped many bombs.

What’s there to love? My guess is she feels as terrible about it as any other decent person would in the same circumstances, even though it was accidental.

And we thought conservatives were supposed to be the “hateful mean-spirited” ones. Sheesh…

[quote]
Think of how unlikely it is for Eisenhower, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford all to have served in World War II and not have killed anyone.

Hey, I recall from a TV ad during the 1976 presidential race that Ford shot down a Japanese aircraft as an anti-aircraft gunner on a US warship. That counts.

What’s to love? The irony of someone or their spokesperson saying… “she can’t talk about it.” That may be true, but just as likely she probably WONT talk about it or certainly it wouldn’t be in her families political interest to talk about it. But to say she can’t talk about it when the victim who is dead, REALLY can’t talk about it or anything or do anything else, is most ironic.

Also, I’m a conservative. I’m for strict adherance to the law. Including vehicular homicide. Even if it’s an accident, you do some jail time. She ought to be clapped in jail for about 2 years for killing this guy.

http://preview.thehistorynet.com/americascivilwar/editorials/2000/0700.htm

why trash laura bush? at the time of this accident she was a teen-ager attending a public high school. she had no particular political connections or family influence. if the police who investigated the event 40 years ago determined that charges shouldn’t be filed, why chew on it now? and the records weren’t lost or hidden–they were made public after a freedom of information act request was filed.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/nw050400b.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/e1698.htm
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/people/bush/profile.html

Wait…a CORVAIR was involved in Laura’s accident?

I sense Nader’s presence again…what is that grand puppetmaster up to, here? What scheme does our fine nemesis hold in his iron grip…?

:smiley:

Who’s trashing Laura Bush? I’m just reporting the facts. Additionally, I gave my own conservative, law-and-order opinion that people who commit manslaughter belong in prison…when I was challenged by someone here as a… librul.

And I don’t care if it happened 40 or 60 years ago. Running a stop sign even BY MISTAKE is some kind of vehicular homicide or manslaughter that deserves jail time. Additionally, the precedent was set in the 90’s that regardless as to how long ago or how much any incident by a President had previously been investigated it should be investigated some more.

I’m just guessing here that Bush people/right wingers/Republican types don’t want Laura Bush’s vehicular homicide discussed. And everyone must admit… though many President’s have killed people… we all know of only one First Lady that’s killed anyone… so that’s sort of interesting…

Alex-NC: And everyone must admit… though many President’s have killed people… we all know of only one First Lady that’s killed anyone… so that’s sort of interesting…

But, I think, beside the point of this thread. The OP specifically said that for Presidents to qualify as “killers” according to his criteria, they must have “personally and deliberately killed someone” (emphasis added).

Irresponsible and/or negligent as Laura Bush’s accident may have been, I don’t think there’s ever been the slightest suggestion that she deliberately tried to kill the victim. So she’s not a killer by the standards of this thread. You could only get her on the list by appealing to the Franklin Pierce precedent (i.e., being reckless enough to drive drunk might put you in the deliberate-killer category), but since AFAIK she wasn’t driving drunk at the time of the accident, the cases aren’t analogous.

There’s still no basis in international law, as Otto pointed out. Certainly killing ambassadors is frowned upon, but your explanation about the ambassador being the embodiment of the national government makes no sense.