Which version of A Christmas Carol is your guilty pleasure

I’d say that this is my guilty pleasure, but I take no guilt in it. It’s a beautiful modernization rendering of the story.

My guilty pleasure version is “A Diva’s Christmas Carol” with Vanessa Williams as Ebbie Scrooge, a pop diva, Chilli from the girl group TLC as her dead ex-bandmate Marley Jacobs, comedian Kathy Griffin and John Taylor (of the band Duran Duran) as the ghosts of Christmas Past & Present, respectively, and as the ghost of Christmas Future? A fake episode of VH1’s “Behind the Music” about the fictional Ebbie, starring a deliciously cackling and evil Nile Rodgers as “himself.” It’s awful (though clever in parts, especially the Behind the Music twist) but I watch it every time I come across it.

Muppet Christmas Carol. Excellent visuals, very funny, and unsettlingly surreal, in perfect measure.

I wish I liked Scrooged, but in the oeuvre of Bill Murray movies it’s trumped by the similar arc in Groundhog Day (though that’s not a Christmas setting of course).

One that nobody here saw - an excruciatingly awful version performed by a family theater I was involved in. I loved it because I got to play three roles: an ancient crotchety woman, a dancer, and Tiny Tim (I was 30 at the time horribly wrong for all parts, as anyone who has seen me dance would attest). The rest of the cast were friends, and every once in a while I drag out the old video to watch it.

Another non-guilty vote for Magoo. I guess I feel no guilt because I’m just blankity-blank-blank all bad!

Mrs. Cake, I think it’s totally cool that you have a video of that! The first “real” theater production (i.e., not a school play) I was in was a production of a musical version of A Christmas Carol entitled Mr. Scrooge. I was in grade school. I can still sing “The Fastest Polka in the World” from the Fezziwig scene.

“If you’re agile, and haven’t got the rheumatism, not too fragile and nimble on your toes…”

A tie, for me, between Muppets and George C. Scott. Must be my age. Scott’s versions blows them all away.

MAGOO! Just finished watching it with the whole family, a yearly tradition for us on Christmas eve. I’m so proud that I’ve passed the Magoo gene on to my children.

And all of you Dopers who answered with Magoo, thanks for having two shoes that click to my clack.

Muppets, no lie. The songs are catchy!

Same here. Tis the season to be jolly and joyyoooous!

Muppets! With kudos to Michael Caine for playing Scrooge absolutely straight, with not a hint that most of his costars are foam rubber…

I was going to mention this but I forgot all about it! I saw parts of it once on TV and felt kind of guilty about it.

And I agree–Scrooged isn’t a guilty pleasure. It’s just too much fun.

I’m in the Albert Finney crowd. Although this season alone I’ve watched Scrooge Albert Finney, Scrooge Michael Caine (Muppets version), Scrooge George C. Scott, Scrooge Jim Carrey (3D Version in theaters now). I’m on Christmas Carol overload.

It’s time to start watching anything that features a Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock.

George C. Scott version

I only came across this version recently but I greatly enjoyed it and I’ll certainly revisit it in the future. Its a radio production by Orson Welles’ Mercury Theater, first aired in 1939, with Welles hmself playing Scrooge.

YouTube playlist

Blackadder, natch.

I agree about Muppet Christmas Carol.

The freaky bit about your post, Freudian Slit, is that JUST before I read your post (and hadn’t scrolled far enough to see it yet), that exact line from that song popped into my head!!
oooOOOooo!!!

Just got done watching the Muppet Christmas Carol. Got mad because the wide-screen version doesn’t have Belle sing her song, “When Love is Gone.” Wasn’t in the theater cut, but was on the VHS tape I used to watch all the time. Fortunately, if I want to hear it, I can watch the regular 4:3 version and it’s on there; it tends to make the scene with Belle more poignant, and explain more of why Scrooge became so hard-hearted.

The only version of The Christmas Carol I will watch is The Muppets Christmas Carol.
-Harmonious Discord and others

Me too!

“Light the lamp–not the rat!”

For those who prefer the George C. Scott version, may I ask if it was the first one you ever saw? I ask because I strongly suspect that people tend to prefer the one they saw first. I know I do. The Alistair Sim version was my first, and is still my favorite.

After seeing the new Jim Carrey version, I went on a *CC *kick, and have since watched *Scrooged *(again), the Sim version (for the millionth time), the Reginald Owen version, and the Scott version, neither of which I had seen before.

IMHO the Scott version is not only the worst of these, it is close to being the worst I can imagine. It is just appalling at almost every level. The production design depicts a Victorian England that is far too lavish and clean. The Cratchit family lives in a house that is practically palatial, and far from the hovel that virtually every other version correctly shows.

David Warner and Susannah York as Bob and Mrs. Cratchit are horribly miscast.

And Scott, while not miscast, completely phoned in his performance. There’s not a spark of life or feeling in it. No inspiration.

There was a lot else I didn’t like about it at the time, but I don’t remember all of it now. I recorded it and was planning to keep it, but I so disliked it I couldn’t imagine ever wanting to watch it again, so I deleted it.

The Owen version is good, but not quite as inspired as the Sim version, IMHO. But since I’m accusing others of it, I might be guilty of a bias in favor of the first one I ever saw. Last night I watched the Sim version from a newly restored Blu-ray version that is just gorgeous.

Although the new Jim Carrey one has a few flaws, it may be the most faithful version ever done. I could be wrong, but having just re-read the original tale, I believe that virtually every line in the 2009 film is straight from the text of the story. It also contains a few things that few or no other versions have done.

For instance, Scrooge criticizes the Ghost of Christmas Present for closing bakeries on Sundays so the poor can’t have a hot meal one day a week. The GOCP basically says, “Don’t blame me for what the priests do.” I.e., an anti-religion message.

It also shows a guide dog leading a blind man away from Scrooge’s frightful presence, which is straight from the book. (I just noticed that the Sim version includes this, which I hadn’t remembered.)

The worst flaw of the new Disney version is the inexplicable rollercoaster ride (featured in most of the ads for the film) after Scrooge meets the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. That and the appalling attempt that Carrey makes at a Yorkshire accent (I think that’s what he was trying for) as the GOCP. Otherwise it’s pretty good.

I’ve enjoyed several of the versions named above. Others have escaped my notice so far.

My particular favorite? “Solstice Carol” from the second episode of Xena, Warrior Princess. In which Xena & Gabrielle find themselves in a kingdom where celebrating the Solstice is forbidden. Furthermore, the heartless King is preparing to foreclose on an orphanage. Perhaps witnessing visions of his past, present & future will convince this King to change his ways. Well, that & a bit of ass-kicking by Xena.

Oh, kindly, bearded Sinticles makes wondrous toys for the orphans.

On their way out of town, Xena & Gaby meet a poor young couple with a baby. To ease their way, they give them their donkey. A star shines above…

The Patrick Stewart version is one of the best recent films. No one should feel guilty for watching it, even if you’re a Kirk fan.