Which would you rather drive-Automatic or Manual?

DVT = (I think this is what she means) deep vein thrombosis. Like a scab, except while the blood’s still inside your veins. Usually happens to older people in their legs. I’m guessing a manual would help avoid DVT because you’re constantly flexing and using both legs, thus increasing their circulation. But I could very well be wrong.

Oh, and count me in for manual. Automatics are boring.

I prefer a manual, especially in stop-and-go traffic. It’s great for the few times we get icy roads, too.

Au-to-matic, hands down.

While I love the drive using a manual (even though I don’t know how to do it very well), for every day driving it’s an automatic. How in the hell am I supposed to drive, eat, put on my makeup, talk on my cellphone, and shift. Sheesh!

Manual, because I am a control freak and I know it.

Manual. After driving stick for a while, there is no stress from driving or worrying about when to shift - you shift so automatically you don’t even realize you’re doing it.

The only time I even consider going back to automatic is in stop-and-go traffic, like others here, but it’s only for a very short while, and the rest of the time I love actually driving my car, not just being more-or-less a passenger. And the gas mileage is better - and you get the most performance out of the small, affordable cars that we drive.

Manual, although I’ve come to realize that my next car ought to be automatic. It just isn’t fair to the poor manual transmission to have to deal with my stop-and-go, takes-an-hour-to-go-eight-miles commute. It’ll be strange, though: I’ve never owned an automatic, and when I’ve driven rental cars, it takes a bit of adjustment to move my right hand away from where the gear shift ought to be.

I have had manual transmissions exclusively now for the last 11 years and I wouldn’t switch (unless I lived in Seattle or San Francisco). Automatic takes the fun out of driving.

Manual only and forever. I can’t stand being at the mercy of the car when it comes to when to shift. The car is stupid and makes poor decisions half the time. Plus that little ramping up to change and then poonk when it changes is freakin’ annoying.

Also, I believe it’s illegal to have an automatic in a sports car, and you get the death penalty if you have one in a roadster. Well it should be!

I could never understand why anyone would get a Corvette or Mustang GT with an automatic - what a waste. There should be a 20% luxury tax on any roadster or sports car equipped with automatic transmission, irrespective of the price!

Manual. I don’t mind having a computer doing the actual shifting for me, but I definitely want to be able to choose when to shift.

I’ll take one of each. Automatic for my daily driver, Manual for the weekend fun car. I drove a manual for about 7 years and it’s cool and all, but it sucks ass in stop and go traffic. The guy in front moves 20 feet, you have to clutch in, shift, clutch out, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, then wait 5 seconds for the next 20 foot move. Bleh! In the automatic the guy moves 20 feet, you reduce pressure on the brake slightly then brake slightly harder to stop.

Manual. I have a VW Passat with manual. It’s actually kind of hard to get them because automatic is more popular (?).

Anyway automatic transmission is a rougher ride because of all that lurching. I can shift much more smoothly than an automatic.

I wasn’t really serious about the DVT…but at least your calves do feel like they’ve had some exercise if you’ve been changing gear.

In stop and go traffic I’m terrible and sit in 1st gear with one foot on the clutch and the hand brake on, ready to zoom off at the first sign of movement. I know it’s awful for the engine and bad control, but I do it anyway.

The manuals are clearly winning so far.

Yeah and that surprises me, I alwyas thought of the US as a land of automatics!
I’d go for manual too, most of the reasons have been mentioned - I’m not used to auomatics (feels like I’m in a fairground bumper car) and get stressed (second time I drove one was over an Alpine pass between Italy & France where gears would have made me feel sooooo much more in control!). One other thing - having a gear stick really helps me remember which side of the road I’m supposed to be driving on when I change country :wink:

I’ve only driven an auto twice so maybe my opinion doesn’t count but manual all the way. I found automatics almost scary. I like telling the car what to do. A brake and clutch stop is much more comforting then an automatics…brake…STOP.

Ah, but to some the hairpin bends are part of the challenge and therefore the roads aren’t crap :wink:

What annoys me are the new speed limits cross border after the Irish government switched to metric speed limits a few months ago. In a bid to round numbers to the nearest 10, you can travel faster in town and slower out of it (after conversion and rounding) which is a bit counter productive. That and the 50mph speed limits on country roads, if the roads are bad enough to merit caution, you won’t be doing 50mph anyway :rolleyes:

But back to the OP, manual all the way. I drove an automatic Toyota Yaris once, never again (nasty little car in general but the auto box was the icing on the cake)

Manual. Always, always manual. Even in rush hour.

SpouseO has an automatic. Poor guy - I feel sorry for him every morning.

Manual.

Autos are just… odd.

There’s also a touch of “this car comes with a $2000 option that makes it LESS fun to drive. That’s right, LESS FUN! Hurry before we sell out!” that makes it kinda weird.

Yes, but I love driving and I prefer an automatic. And while cars themselves are just a mode of conveyance, driving is truly a pleasure.

Up here in the north, there’s also lots of empty hilly roads, and gorgeous scenery. It’s my Zen time.