White Sandwich Bread recipes

Does anyone have a great white bread recipe? I have a couple recipes, but I could use the ultimate recipe. I don’t use a bread machine, I do it be hand.

StG

We love this one. It is a bit sweet, but it works wonderfully for us. And we do use it for sandwiches.

Here’s the one I’ve been using. I change it a bit from time to time, but right now it’s:

30g butter (about two Tbsp)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tbsp dry yeast
2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt.

Melt the butter in the microwave. Heat the milk in a saucepan on medium high heat. Keep one eye on it while you’re making the yeast mixture; remove it from the heat when tiny bubbles start to form on the surface. Don’t let it boil.

In the meantime, combine the yeast, water, and sugar in a small bowl. Cover and let it stand for 10 minutes.

Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl; add the yeast mixture, milk, and butter. Mix it together and turn it out onto a floured surface. Knead it until it’s smooth and springy. If it’s sticky, work in a bit of flour.

Put the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour.

Punch the dough down, knead it for three or four strokes, then flatten it into an oval shape. Roll it into a loaf shape and put it in a greased loaf pan. Cover it with a towel and let it rise for about 30-40 minutes. While it’s rising, heat the over to 400F.

Put the bread in the oven and turn the temperature down to 375. Bake for 40 minutes.

Turn the loaf out of the pan onto a rack. Brush the top with melted butter, drape a towel over it and let it cool.

I use the one from James Beard’s American Cookery. Which reminds me, I haven’t baked bread recently…

Thanks for the recipes so far. Twickster, would you post that recipe, please? I don’t have that book. I was going to try Alton Brown’s recipe, but it calls for flour by weight, and I don’t have a scale. Or one of those cool thermometer guns.

StG

I’m at work; will do tonight.

Really misunderstood title. I thought it meant something like:

Buy 1 loaf of white bread.
Remove 2nd and 3rd slices - ignore heel.
Spread peanut butter on one side of slice of white bread. 9ignore hole you just made in bread)
Spread grape jelly on on side of second slice of white bread.
Slam spreaded sides together.
Grab paper towel.
Put uncut sandwich on paper towel (serving suggestion)
Eat outside (crusts) first creating lovely center of sandwich finale to enjoy.

Twickster - Thanks!

** Jali** - No, no, no. You eat from the top down, the top crust being the best part of the bread. And it’s strawberry, not grape!

StG

Yep, I was going to mention the milktoast recipe I loved as a kid. Or stuffing made from sort of stale white bread. My mom could work some miracles with used white bread (Freihofer’s, from the Freihofer’s used bread store (aka the day-old outlet)).

No-no-no! Strawberry is for toasted p&J sandwiches a much more complicated recipe (hot stuff involved) and it’s for special P&B occasions - like when I’m home alone and the Jalikids can’t ask me to make some for them too.

Now you’ve gotta post the recipes. Let’s go!

Used white bread?!