Who Administered the Oath of Office to Dick Cheney?

I had my tv turned on to the inauguration and even watched in on and off. But darn it, I missed the part when VP Dick Cheney was sworn in. Not that I supported him or Bush. But I wanted to see who administered his Oath of Office.

The Constitution says the Chief Justice has to administer a pre-arranged Oath for the President. But they usually get more creative for the VP. For Clinton’s second inaugural, for example, Assoc. Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg administered Al Gore’s Oath.

Did anyone get that part of the inauguration? (I really don’t know how to “google” this one ;).) Thank you in advance for your help :slight_smile:

There’s no constitutional requirement that the Chief Justice administer the oath of office. All that the Constitution requires is that the new president take the oath, as set out in Article I, s. 1

For example, Lyndon Johnson was sworn in by a federal judge in Dallas on Air Force One.

Coolidge was sworn in by his father, a notary public, but had to re-do it; I think it was because his father was a state notary, not a federal officer.

It was the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Dennis Hastert, according to this story in one of today’s Australian papers.

So the VP takes an oath, even though he isn’t constitutionally required to? Who else takes an oath? Senators, congressmen, cabinet members, the guy that cleans the floors of the USGS building after hours?

yes, yes, and yes. Most janitors now are contracted, but I work for Uncle Sam and had to take an oath upon taking my job.

Just out of curiosity, Ravenman, what kind of oath was it?

Do janitors have to swear to “preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution”?

Or do the oaths get less high-falutin’ as you head down the GSA pay scale?

The oath that the Vice President takes is not the same one as the President takes, but they are both constitutionally required:

U.S. Const., art. VI.

There is a single, statutory oath for all officers other than the president:

5 U.S.C. § 3331.

That’s the one, but it has been administered a wee bit differently. A clerk asked me, “Do you, Ravenman, solemly swear [etc.]” Me (with hand raised): “I do.”

And once the oath was written on a piece of paper that I had to fill out with all the other usual employment forms at the beginning of a new job. I had to write in my name at the appropriate place and sign it in front of a clerk, or something like that.