Who are our current "Abe Vigodas"? (people you might be surprised to learn are still alive)

Yes, I agree that the OPs example is a poor one based on the premise he explained.

Cracked ran a bit not that long ago about sliced bread first being sold after Betty White was born. They said “Sliced bread is the best thing since Betty White”.

Yes, Ruth Buzzi always seemed old. Lily Tomlin seemed older before. Nowadays she’s so botoxed and facelifted that she doesn’t look much older than she used to as Ernestine.

So I’m just assuming he means people that it seems have been around forever, not just people who have always looked elderly.

And that was in 2014. He’s still living at 105.

Roberta McCain is still alive at age 108. She’s best known as the mother of the late Senator and President Candidate, John McCain. John McCain wasn’t exactly young when he died either.

Comedy Central held a roast of William Shatner back in the early 2000s. Two of the roasters were Betty White and a comedian named Lisa Lupner. Lupner remarked about Betty White, “Betty’s so old, the grand prize on her first game show was fire.”

Came in to post just this. Not long ago I would have also posted Olivia de Havilland, born in the same year a few weeks later.

Did you know his daughter Josie acted as well?

This guy is 101 and has been in quite a few things.

A thread that basically asks for a list of really old famous people isn’t going to be very interesting.

Take it up with the OP.

I have no idea why you feel the need to argue the point, but the OPs quote which you included specifically mentions that that example is good not because he’s old but because it’s so unexpected.

@Omniscient, you seem to be strangely vigorous in your attempts to steer this thread onto what you think the OP wanted – far more than the OP is, apparently.

you might wanna check again.

Honestly, at this point I could give a shit since we’re basically just posting random golden age actors, have at it.

But the “Abe Vigoda” thing has a very specific intent. His age has little to do with it. There was a time when the Dope was all about correctness, guess it’s not a popular idea any more.

I mean if an OP starts a thread wanting to play a version of The Match Game but then sets up the rules so it looks like Password are we supposed to just shrug our shoulders because the OP said so?

The OP wasn’t as clearly written as it could have been, and you yourself admitted that the OP’s own example didn’t meet the narrower idea that you believe was intended (and the OP then endorsed John Astin as a good example, who doesn’t, either).

IMO, that’s entirely up to the OP. That said, nitpicking, too, is a long-standing SDMB tradition.

I loved that roast!

I’m pretty sure Todd DiLaMucca’s girlfriend was never on Comedy Central.

Lol!!

I admit, I was wondering. :smiley: Lisa Lampanelli, perhaps?

Cloris Leachman has always seemed older to me - she was Mary’s older landlady on the Mary Tyler Moore show, old Frau Bucher (neigh!) in Young Frankenstein, and Malcolm’s ancient grandma on Malcolm in the Middle. She’s still kicking at 94, and looks 10 years younger.