Who are the "progressive rock" bands of today?

You might try Postal Service, too, though that’s a little more popular that progressive.

Turing Machine

Mike Keneally and his various bands.

Claypool appears on some of Adrian Belew’s recent work too. Belew, also still a member of King Crimson, certainly qualifies.

I’m partial to Marillion, although they’re probably pretty old school.

Also, a band I really like although they have elements of alternative, and… well, i don’t know, I find them really unclassifiable, is Cloud Cult.

IQ

Still going strong; their CDs are available domestically thru InsideOut.

Not to be missed.

With or without Fish ?
(I’m partial to Fish with mine)

I’ll second Mars Volta.
When I heard their first album “De-Loused in the Comatorium” I was blown away.

Dredg falls somewhere in the prog-rock/art rock spectrum. El Cielo is their best effort to date.

since I saw them do Marbles in Chicago, I’ve become a bit more partial to the Hogarth era.
Also, A Milwaukee musician, Sigmund Snopek, did a fantastic three disc concept prog album called Trinity SeesSiezeSeas. It’s worth looking up:

I suggest you look at Savatage, especially their newer stuff (from the 90s) including “The Wake of Magellan,” “Dead Winter Dead,” and “Poets and Madmen.” Some pretty amazing stuff.

Also the Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s “Beethoven’s Last Night” (TSO is basically Savatage under another name, and they’re known for their three Christmas CDs, but BLN is quite good and underrated).

Although probably not “pure” progressive rock, much of the stuff by Air certainly has the progressive feel to it. Their Talkie Walkie, in particular, has its roots firmly entrenched in what was progressive rock (IMHO, of course. YMMV).

Again, while not “pure” progressive rock, listening to virtually anything by Sigur Ros (e.g. Agaetis Byrjun) takes me back to the best of the PR era.

Regardless, both groups are spectacular.

Please, please, somebody tell me they’re supposed to be satirical–like Spinal tap or Tenacious D. I’d hate to think they were being that pretentious and bad on purpose.

Wow, five days later and I can still contribute!!

My most recent obsession has been The Flower Kings and various related/connected projects. They are from Sweden, but the lyrics are in English. The chief writer/singer/guitarist is Roine Stolt. He has a couple of solo CDs and has been involved with The Tangent and Transatlantic. Transatlantic is made up of Stolt, Neal Morse (Spock’s Beard), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) and Pete Trawavas (Marillion), all of whom should also be on the list. If you prefer video, the DVDs “Meet The Flower Kings” and both “Live In Europe” and “Building The Bridge - Live In America” by Transatlantic are well worth trying to find.

“Out Of Myself” by Riverside reminds me of Porcupine Tree. (A little bit, anyway.) So does Clutch.

Ozric Tentacles, Endangered Species, Project Z and the Derek Trucks Band might fit in here somewhere, as well.