Who created the hobbits in Tolkein's Universe?

I was watching the LOTR movies last night and it got me thinking. I know that men and elves were part of Illuvatar’s plan, and I know that the Dwarves were unauthorized but Illuvatar allowed them to live but they had to sleep until the elves arrived.

There are theories about the Orcs of course. But with all the importance of the Hobbits in LOTR it doesn’t seem like they ever discuss who created the hobbit. Is it known at all? Or are they just a mystery like the Ents. I have the Silmarrilion and LOTR but not some of the other Tolkein reference books so maybe the answer is in there?

No mystery. They’re short people. Theoretically, they should be able to produce offspring when mixed with humans.

They are just another form of humans, like the wild men of the woods are.

They’re clearly among the 2nd children of Iluvatar, mortal men whose ancestors awoke at Hildorien, just like the ancestors of the Edain (and all other mortals) did.

JRRT clearly says hobbits are mortals in his writings.

Ummm…Professor Tolkein?
:smiley:

Off to Cafe Society.

Orc raped a dwarf

Totoro made the Ents.

Ah. I thought I’d heard somehting like that, but they seem so different from other men, what with being all of them short, and being less into the pursuit of power than most men.

What makes them such good burglers? Just being short? It seems that when the dwarves needed a burgler that “let’s get a hobbit” seemed to jump to mind. Just a stereotype? Or does having very hairy feet muffle sound?

“Then found Orome the Hildori, the Aftercomers, and he beheld with wonder how they were not tied to the Circles of the World. And he saw that they were of twain kind, the large and the small, and the small were stealthy, quiet of foot and skilled at concealment. And ware lest they be dominated by the greater among the Hildori, he sent them forth Eastward, to an island prepared for them in the southern seas, where they might come to fruition and maturity safe among their own kind, which isle was called by the Valar Felorani, but by later folk Flores. And in the fullness of time he brought them forth, and settled them in the Vales of Anduin, whence they enter into our Tale.” (from unpublished writings ;))

The +2 dexterity bonus is the biggest factor, but the +2 racial bonuses on Climb, Jump, Move Silently, and Listen checks don’t hurt either.

:smiley:

Not only that, but as a race they practise being quiet and unobtrusive as a defence against bigger, stronger creatures (almost everyone). That said, when the dwarves needed a burglar a hobbit was the last thing they thought of - they thought of the Shirefolk as stupid clodhoppers and cowards to boot, and Gandalf had to browbeat Thorin and company into accepting Bilbo. “{If you won’t have him}, you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal!”

Though the Valar remain silent on the subject, those in the know suspect that the creation of Hobbits was the inadvertent result of failure to properly convert design specs from Ainur to metric units.

The really sad thing is that Gandalf didn’t really think Bilbo would be a very effective burglar either; he just thought that Smaug probably wouldn’t recognize the smell of Hobbit. Despite all his skill at wizardry, Gandalf intuitively understood that there was no force in Middle-Earth powerful enough to deodorize a Dwarf.

Bilbo, of course, is the prototypic halfling burglar. Yet, examined objectively, his actual burgling career was remarkably uneven. What all did he manage to steal? Let’s review:

1. ** A troll’s purse.** FAIL. Yes, Bilbo, we totally believe that the troll was carrying a magical talking purse. That’s not a completely transparent lie at all.

2. The One Ring. Okay, the most powerful weapon of the Third Age is admittedly a pretty impressive theft. But, after all, was it legitimately a “burglary?” Wasn’t it really more of a “found object?” An object that, moreover, WANTED to be found? In any case, picking up a lost object in the road is not burglary by any reasonable definition. I submit that this incident does not even properly qualify toward his record.

3. Food from Elves. FAIL. Let’s review: Hobbits are all about food. Hobbits can move in total silence. This particular Hobbit had a ring that MADE HIM GODDAMN INVISIBLE. And he couldn’t steal food at a banquet. Bilbo is officially the worst burglar in Hobbit history.

4. Keys from a prison jailer. Now this is an admirable bit of work. Or it would be, if the jailer wasn’t PIG-DRUNK AND UNCONSCIOUS.

5. A cup from a dragon’s hoard. At last! A successful burglary! Well done, Mister Baggins! Aside from the part where you got all your ass-hair baked off by dragon fire. Oh, and the bit where you inadvertently goaded the dragon into destroying a nearby city, killing thousands. Truly, you’re a goddamned ninja, Baggins.

6. The Arkenstone. Okay, this is more like it. A truly legitimate, unambiguous burglary, right under the noses of your trusted companions. An enormous gem worth a literal king’s ransom, looted in a heartbeat. Finally, we have arrived at some classic fantasy burgling. And just in time to immediately GIVE IT AWAY, in a desperate attempt to keep all your companions from being massacred by the army of people left homeless by the dragon attack prompted by your LAST burglary. Congratulations: your burgling career has finally canceled itself out entirely.

Bilbo Baggins. Burglar. Destroyer of worlds.

As pointed out a small quiet folk by nature (except for Pippin) and someone that a Dwarf would actually work with as opposed to let’s say an Elf. Gandalf actually “showed” no real heavy thought in this case. The Dwarven party was incredibly ill equipped to steal back the treasure from Smaug. Perhaps Gandalf had some moment of prescience that if he brought Bilbo Smaug would fall.

:smiley: I’ve always thought he was the proto-type for Arthur Dent. The two were rather similar in many ways.

Agrajag is a reincarnation of Sméagol?

Long experience:

They don’t like machines more complicated than a garrote, a blackjack or a luger, and they have always been shy of the “big folk” or “Biggers” as they call us. As a rule they now avoid us, except on rare occasions when a hundred or so will get together to dry-gulch a lone farmer or hunter.
The Naugahyde brothers, Brasso and Drano, led a large following across the Gallowine river disguised as a band of itinerant graverobbers and took control from the High King at Ribroast. In return for the King’s grudging acquiescence, they set up toll booths on the roads and bridges, waylaid his messengers, and sent him suggestive and threatening letters.

Hey if you’re going to quote it, you should at least attribute it to the source.

The above is from *Bored of the Rings *of course.

Well, yes, but the truth isn’t funny.
Thanks for setting me straight.:slight_smile:

Too right. I hope Martin Freeman will end up playing both. :wink: