Who has talked to Cecil?

Same here. I was at work in California and had a question and remembered The Straight Dope back from my Chicago day and found them on the internet - sent my question and about three weeks later, it was answered on the internet and in the Chicago Reader with a great cartoon picture attached to the question. There was even a follow up awhile later with more info. That is also how I found these boards.

But linking to it would expose my real name, and witness protection rules forbid that.

Who has talked to Cecil?
Neither you nor I:
But when the folks compose their threads
Cecil is passing by.

Yoko, is that you? :smiley:

You know, I was using Christina Rossetti’s poem, and was confused by this Yoko business. I looked it up.

I am scarred. Scarred for life.

(Besides, do I sound like a cat covered in napalm? Well if I do, I might be quoting Yoko after all.)

Who knows this Cecil?
Indeed it seems not many
A ghost in the mist

Come on, this thread was screaming for bad haiku and you know it.

Well, you’ve done your ignorance-fighting for the day. I didn’t know about the Rossetti poem. I’ll have to check when I get home, but I don’t think the Yoko record (b-side of the hubby’s “Instant Karma”) credits the adaptation.

In the early days of this board I recall Cecil responding to a poster going by the name of A-HA.

Did he pull Cecil through a mirror, into a B&W animated universe, where they were pursued by wrench-wielding thugs?

I watched MTV in the 80’s, too! :smiley:

Well, if you check out the two threads, you’ll see the first is a Cecilian slap-down, but not of my ignorance, but for my temerity in suggesting he should have done more research on the topic. His comment boiled down to “I’m the big ideas guy - minions fill in the details.”

In the second, he actually acknowledged my comment that in the column in question his sarcasm had interfered with the ability of the teeming millions to follow the trend of his argument, and that he would see to having it changed.

So, one Cecilian slap-down, and one Cecilian pat on the head, but no allegations of personal ignorance so vast that it merited his personal attention. I’ll take it as a blessing. :smiley:

Sometimes. Usually one of us minions sends a note to Cecil if we find an especially interesting/wacky question. Cecil moves in mysterious ways, though, and apparently he has a backlog of questions to answer.

Some say that Ed Zotti has talked to Cecil Adams, which rather confirms my long-held belief that talking to oneself is not the first sign of madness.

Doesn’t every thread? Think of all the joy you could be spreading in the Pit?

By the definition in the OP, yes!

Cecil has answered my question:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a3_307.html

I realize that by posting this, I connect my real life name with my SDMB nick, but so what? I like to live dangerously!