Who is the smartest person on the SDMB?

Tamerlane’s near top of any list, to be sure. I’ve also found tomndebb’s posts to be consistently enlightning, but then you’ve gotta divide by two.
Heck, there’s like a shitload of smart 'uns here.

I think all of the above choices are excellent, and would also like to give **Left Hand of Dorkness ** honorable mention.

“Smartest” means “most smart”, not “most smart-ass”…

John Carter of Mars, this is inapporpriate for a non-Pit thread. Please don’t do this again.

Smartest? “Smart” can mean all sorts of things. I propose we set out some ground rules so we can be objective about this. To be considered for the title of “smartest”, a poster:

1. Does not participate in this thread.
  2. … aw, crap.

I am. And so’s my wife.

There are so many intelligent posters on this board it’s hard to pick out one. Speciality comes into play here.
Well, anyway here’s my picks:
BRICKER
CHRONOS
MATHOCHIST
TUBA DIVA for her brilliant way of working with people of such varied personalities.
And all the other mods for putting up with a lot of our bullshit, intended or not.
They keep this board running, smart posters or not-so-smart!
And no, I’m NOT kissing ass!

I would answer if only this were posted in the right forum.

I’ll second this after reading this post

1. Does not repeat a gag covered earlier in the same thread.

Has hawthorne been mentioned yet. He’s pretty well up the list, I’d think. And jshore. And cmkeller. And CalMeacham, who in addition to great GQ postings, starts some really good MPSIMS threads. How 'bout Doug Yanega?

Not to be a mod suck up, but there are a couple who’re exceptional. Dr. Matrix, when he spent more time answering questions in GQ is a guy who comes immediately to mind. And Gaudere’s contributions to GD have always been topnotch. Bibliophage’s postings in GQ, too.

Did you miss the 6th post? :wink:

Shit. And I absolutely need to mention one who has very sadly passed on. Padeye.

Warning acknowledged.

You know, that ol’ Jodi ain’t no slouch either. While “reasoned” may be a better descriptor for her talents, I’m thinkin’ she most assuredly deserves a mention here as well.

LOL, nice. I have a factual question. Are you this much of an asshole in real life or just online?

I obviously can’t answer for John, but I have an another question, nonetheless. Can people really be so different in the persona they construct for “real-life” interaction (oral and written) and the persona they construct for “electronic” interaction (written only)?

Did you miss the part about how this isn’t the Pit?

Anyway, I vote for myself as the smartest. It’s the smart thing to do, after all. How stupid would it be if I lost the smart election by one vote because I didn’t vote for myself? I’d answer that question, but it’s rhetorical. Everyone knows you don’t answer a rhetorical question. At least, smart people know that, and I’m one. That is to say, I’m a person, not a question. It would certainly be odd if I were a question. Whenever anybody asked anything, it’d be like they were asking me, except not really. This is a very difficult concept to grasp. Lucky for me, I’m smart. I’m so smart my head smarts. That was a joke, by the way. You have to be smart to get jokes like that.

I don’t think so myself. My impression has always been that people are just more free to be themselves online. I get the impression that a person who insults you online would just think it in real life and whisper it under their breath.

I realize this isn’t the pit, and should’ve posted a rant there instead on the large number of assholes who post on SD. And yes I’d say that to Johns face. My mistake.

As for smartest, I’d say Shagnasty is one of the academically smartest. I also admire the guy because he has had alot of bad things happen to him but he seems like he still struggles to be a good person despite it all. But there are so many people here who have got advanced degrees in harsh fields from top rated universities that there is no real way to tell who is the smartest.

I can’t believe nobody so far has mentioned Sentient Meat. He is deeply knowledgable about a lot of difficult topics. He has the breadth of knowledge that only the very intelligent are able to master. Very smart guy.