Who knows about Philadelphia cheesesteaks?

How do they manage so few? Most places in the world, the water’s been through hundreds or thousands of toilets. You might be able to get the number down to a few dozen in, say, the middle of Yellowstone, but then you’ve got to deal with all the sulfur compounds.

How does a sandwich containing both meat and dairy end up called a “Hot Jewish”?

Well, it’s not called a “Hot Kosher” or a “Hot Orthodox.”

I understood it to mean seven toilets between the treatment plant and your faucet; before treatment, more, I’m sure. :smiley:
Surely, you’ve noticed the yellow tinge to the Amoroso rolls, no?

When they are made by hot Italian Catholics in teeshirts too tight to contain their corpulent bellies, go figure.

at the meat section usually. i had the deli man do just the tuna, not the ribeye.

yahdah-yahdah. point’s been made. :smiley:

Sauted onions and giardinera peppers? It would work.

But we are being parochial. Cooked beef, especially with some garlic, can be tasty. Especially note that almost of all of us are guys (a tip o’ the hat to Ms Robyn, for instance) and millennia of experience has shown that we really aren’t that picky. Meat? Cheese? Bread? Other shit our wives don’t use? We’re there.

Wife will be at work. As will most daughters. I have a couple bucks that I don’t need for gas. Sounds like an experiment, hot vs Cheez Whiz. She long ago learned to hide the evidence from her mother.

ETA: But it’s nearly August and the only way I can consume enough salt is with PB and hot giardinera on toast. Otherwise my electrolytes go down and I begin to shake. I mean, I could eat salt or Gatorade, but I want to enjoy it.

Got to reading this thread, and last night I sliced up a ribeye steak, sauteed some onions (and green peppers for Mrs. R), and had “provo, wid”. Delicious, although probably inauthentic for any number of reasons :smiley:

Well if it ended up looking anything like this, you might be forgiven.

If not, you gotta say three Hail Mary’s and eat few pretzels like deese here from a place like dis.
And, not, my good fellow, a monstrosity like this, from an establishment like that.

I’ve been told that my taste in food is “masculine”, but I’m not sure what that means. Lately, though, I’ve been enjoying cheesesteak on green salad instead of a roll. It’s still really tasty, and I don’t feel like I’m missing the bread all that much.

I’m pleased that what’s being described to me is not unlike what I get at Texadelphia here in Austin. I do believe that the meat is cooked a bit, onions and the mushrooms I request are sauteed a little bit away, all on a big flat griddle. The mushrooms and onions are added, the provolone is put on, and then the bread is nestled on top. The whole thing cooks for a while before it’s flipped over and onto the foil and paper wrap and handed to me still piping hot. Anyone know whether what we get there is about right?

That’s the basics of how I do it at work, so yes, it’s pretty close. The big difference between what you’re eating and what we have up here is the rolls. The rolls really do make a difference. The rolls you find at a mom-and-pop pizza shop simply do not compare.

My favorite has always been Dallesandro’s, but I grew up in the Roxborough section of Philly so I’m biased. But it’s a great steak. Chubby’s is right across the street and right down the street is Fiesta. A triumvirate of excellent cheesesteak sources, all within shouting distance on Henry Avenue. Whatever you do, don’t wander a couple of blocks away to Murphy’s and order the pizza. It tastes exactly the way you’d expect pizza to taste at a place called Murphy’s.

And I played football for the Ivy Ridge Panthers on Arrow Field right across from Dally’s, so it has that historical significance too, if you’re looking for even more reason. :smiley:

If you’re coming to Philly for cheesesteaks, you may want to try another great Pennsylvania city’s cheesesteak.

Check out the #2 seller at Primanti Bros in the Strip District in Pittsburgh.
http://www.primantibrothers.com/index.html

A Pittsburgh cheesesteak is made with two slices of italian bread, a real piece of steak, topped with a handfull of french fries, some coleslaw, and a slice of tomato.

When I lived in Philly, I was partial to Rick’s Steaks in the Reading Terminal. Apparently that location closed and moved to Liberty Place. Rick Oliveri is the grandson of Pat Oliveri (inventor of the cheesesteak).

http://www.rickssteaks.com/

Pittsburgh <=> Philly, only 5 hours apart.

For me, as a tourist, the experience is always part of the charm. Pat’s & Geno’s may not be the greatest cheesesteaks going, but they’re the places that get the press. If I live there it’d be another matter, but I know places in Georgetown where I can get a fantastic cheesesteak. When I’m in Philly, taste isn’t the only consideration. As such, the corner of 9th and Passyunk is the place for me.

And despite Vento’s abhorrent personality and politics, I give the edge to Geno’s.

–Cliffy

My $.02 - if Cheese Whiz makes it better, it wasn’t very good to start with. Provolone is the way to go.

So, whatta ya know - as it turns out, a supposedly authentic Philly cheesteak joint just opened up here in Michigan.

They even use Amorosa rolls.

Would someone in-the-know please scope out this website and give me your impressions re authenticity?:

Joey’s Famous Philly Cheeseteaks

Menu

mmm

The pictures on the left show many steak-like sandwiches with things on them which would never be found on any steak. That said, one of the pictures does look like a proper, non-embellished cheesesteak, so maybe they can get it right.

Yeah, I should have guided you toward this selection (found right in the middle of the menu):

mmm

For some reason, when I hear it called a “Philadelphia”, rather than a “Philly” cheesesteak, I get the feeling that I should be seeing it made with cream cheese, rather than Cheez Whiz.

It strikes me the same as it would if somebody said Bob Denver got his start on The Many Loves of Doberman Gillis.

:wink:

This man speaks the truth. I was in Philly for work a few months ago and this is what I got, after seeing it on Man Vs. Food and deciding that it looked better than a regular cheesesteak (which I’ve had on previous trips to Philly.)

I was right…holy shit, the combo of slow roasted, herbed pork loin, lots of hunks of sharp provalone, and the greens (I got the rabe,) was sublime.

From a Cali Doper who has been to both places (in one night AND the Explorer’s Den by LaSalle University…love me some cheesesteaks!),

Pat’s or Geno’s - It’s a toss-up.
Provolone or Whiz? Get both. Whiz is nasty (IMHO), but you only live once.
Toppings? Onion and Bell Peppers.

I’m drooling…dammit…