Who Knows San Diego?

Got this wrong the first time… Hope it doesn’t turn into a double-post…

Ok, so you’re the exception that proves the rule… B-)

Tough doesn’t mean good people don’t come from there, it means it’s not a place for strangers to casually wander about.

While we’re on correcting things (Sea World vs. Marine World), I can add that it’s probably been a while since you’ve been to SD if you were here to run the Mission Bay Marathon. That race got booted on up to Carlsbad (now the course winds by Legoland - which maybe an 8 year old would dig) and is now called the San Diego Marathon. (never mind that it’s not in San Diego city)

I’d recommend Hotel Circle - very central, and a wide range of costs - Motel 6 is there, but there are some nicer “resort” type places there, too, and a Quality Inn, some other smaller but clean places (I’ve stayed at the Knights Inn and they have good waffles at their Waffle Spot restaurant). It’s right near Old Town, a few miles from Mission Bay, Sea World, beaches, not too far from downtown, Balboa Park, etc.

If you do make it through Tijuana, there are some new Duty Free shops that just opened up north of the border. You walk into Mexico so that you can bring them back duty free. I don’t know anyone that’s been there yet (been open about a month I think), but if you’re into shopping, it might be worth it. And it’s probably more wholesome than taking the kid to Caliente to place some sports bets!!

scout1222 wrote

[/quote]
I’ve stayed at the Knights Inn and they have good waffles at their Waffle Spot restaurant.
[/quote]

Err, that’s the King’s Inn. We stayed there a week ago at Christmas instead of our usual Motel 6. It was slightly better, but not by much.

Okay, so I’m narrowing it down to Old Town. Anyone familiar with the Old Town Inn, 4444 Pacific Hwy., the Old Town Plaza Hotel, 2380 Moore St., or the Comfort Inn Airport at Old Town? Anyone care to check them out for me? I don’t want to be RIGHT next to the highway and it would be nice if there were interesting places to walk nearby.

:: You know this is cheating? :wink: :::

3½¢
When you give someone a present, do not spoil it by telling them how to enjoy it.

What’s cheating? Getting input before getting there? Deal is I won’t have a car and I’ll have a kid with me. Otherwise I’d play it by ear more!

Hey, I’d like to chime in on the Spreckles Organ in Balboa Park. Cool tunes, giant pipe organ. Good place to pick up chicks. Okay, not really. But it is fun (and this from someone who was in his mid-twenties when he went).

Hey, I’m going for the organs, not the chicks.
Heh.
Jill
(besides, if you pick up chicks, their mothers won’t let them back in the nest. Or something)
ps - I’m staying at La Pensione Hotel.

JillGat,

Just plugged in those addresses on my map. Don’t know those hotels by reputation, but the one on Pacific Highway looks like it would probably be really close to the Old Town Trolley stop. At that stop you can go south to downtown, Tijuana, etc. or out east to Mission Valley, Santee, etc. The one on Moore would be a little farther away from the trolley stop.

Mea culpa on the King’s Inn. I was debating which one it was when I typed it. Figures I’d pick the wrong one.