Who listens to yacht rock anyway?

People like some friends of mine, much more so the husband than the wife, and their friends.

Vanilla with a capital V. White bread and well-done meat, salt and pepper as the sole spice of life. I doubt they’ve ever heard the term “yacht rock” though. If they’re not playing played out Fleetwood Mac or The Eagles greatest hits or whatever, they’re tuned to a local “classic rock” station that is unashamedly dedicated to corporate rock in all but the actual wording: unbelievably repetitious and glurge-y. He calls all hard rock, regardless of when it was produced, “acid rock”. I like to needle him, and just for fun, next time I visit I’m going to bait him by mentioning a modern video game and see if he refers to it as “a nintendo”.

Raises hand…if it includes Alan Parsons, Starbuck, Gerry Rafferty, Al Stewart…

Why are so many people so judgmental about the music other people listen to?

I mean, I’m not a fan of hip-hop or modern pop. But I don’t judge people who enjoy it.

Powers &8^]

I have a friend who’s a year older than me, a 42-year-old white guy from the suburbs. He generally likes 90s rock and rap. He’s a big Dave Matthews Band fan. One day we were talking and he’s like “You know what I’ve really been in to lately? Yacht rock.”

He was serious. So, that’s one demographic for ya.

I was just going to add that this perfectly describes the precedent Sirius set with the Dave Matthews Band channel.

Yacht rock? That term is totally new to me (and it sounds awful, from what the rest of you are saying).

It’s not awful. It’s soft rock from the late 70s and early 80s, excluding both folk rock and disco. That’s basically it.

Powers &8^]

Does Great Big Sea really belong in a discussion of yacht rock? Or dad rock?

Or maybe I’m missing your point.

Great Big Sea is not yacht rock, but neither are sea shanties. It seems like anything might be nyacht rock?

People should listen to music they enjoy. If I listen to classical, opera, jazz or metal you are likely to make judgements even if unwarranted. I do like the Eagles but they probably aren’t yacht rock as such, definitions seem very arbitrary.

It seems to me mainly a marketing thing to elevate the mediocre - but maybe that will float your boat

Seriously, why the fuck are you calling this music mediocre?

Some of it is mediocre because some of every kind of music is mediocre. But your opinion does not make it true for all the groups lumped into it. You cannot call most of the groups and people mentioned in this thread mediocre. They’re among the top in their field.

Why did you even start this thread if you didn’t want to hear from those who had an opinion different from yours? Are you constitutionally unable to learn from other peoples’ experience?

My only issue with hip-hop (aside from the foul and misogynistic “lyrics” in a fair percentage of what I hear in that genre) is the obnoxious tendency of the fans to blare it at ear-shattering volumes from their cars, with bass that can shake my apartment floor from the parking lot.

That’s not a bug, that’s a feature.
:hear_with_hearing_aid:

Not to me it isn’t. :slight_smile:

In my experience, boat owners are some of the most un-hip people around.

I listened to the yacht rock station when I was making four hour road trips for my job. The mellow music on that station and The Bridge help keep my road rage at bay.

I can give my opinion that many of the artists shoehorned in to this genre are mediocre, as you agree. Not all of them are. The Eagles are great, and are almost a country band known for their expansive love of boating. I am sorry you are upset about my opinion. I never expect everyone to share my views.

I try hard to learn from the experience of others with varying degrees of success. You define yacht rock as “non head banging music of the 1970s”, which is a start. I like 70s music. But I’ve never heard anyone describe “Spirit In The Sky” or “Let’s Stay Together” as yacht rock. Indeed, the wiki article on it lays down a whole bunch of arbitrariness. I apologize for my problem, which is that I still haven’t seen a good definition. I’ll accept yours, sure. But then you have many nyacht rock songs excluded by the terms developers. Why? Teach me, Laoshi.

Jimmy Buffet = Yacht rock. Yes
Metallica cover of Whisky in a Jar = Yacht rock. Nope

Would “I’m On A Boat” by The Lonely Island qualify as yacht rock?

I’ve been to a bunch of yacht rock events put on by the former Chicago organization ‘Stay Smooth’ in the last eight years or so. The people and vibe are excellent. It’s kind of like a nautical themed costume party but with fun music, dancing and an open bar and everyone’s in on the silliness of it all for 40-50 bucks and three hours of entertainment on an actual yacht on Lake Michigan. The last big one I went to was called Stay Smooth XXV: I Can Boat for That. Another year, it was a tall sail ship. It really was a great scene before the group kind of dissolved.

From Wikipedia (quoting part of one section):

Definition of Yacht Rock

The term “yacht rock” did not exist contemporaneously with the music the term describes,[6] from about 1975 to 1984.[7][8] It refers to “adult-oriented rock”[6] (or “West Coast Sound”)[4][3] which became identified with yacht rock in 2005, when the term was coined in J. D. Ryznar et al.'s online video series of the same name.[9][10][11] Understood as a pejorative term,[6] “yacht rock” referred, in part, to a stereotypical yuppie yacht owner enjoying smooth music while sailing. Many “yacht rockers” included nautical references in their lyrics, videos, and album artwork, exemplified by Christopher Cross’s anthemic track, “Sailing” (1979).[12] Long mocked for “its saccharine sincerity and garish fashion”, the original stigma attached to the music has lessened since about 2015.[6][3]

In 2014 AllMusic’s Matt Colier identified the “key defining rules of the genre” as follows:

“keep it smooth, even when it grooves, with more emphasis on the melody than on the beat”
“keep the emotions light, even when the sentiment turns sad (as is so often the case in the world of the sensitive yacht-rocksman)”
“always keep it catchy, no matter how modest or deeply buried in the tracklist the tune happens to be.”[7]
The “exhilaration of escape” is “essential to yacht”, according to journalist and documentary-film maker Katie Puckrik. She quoted the lyrics of Cross’s “Ride Like the Wind” (1979), “to make it to the border of Mexico”, as an example of the aspirational longing that demonstrates “the power of the genre”. Thwarted desire is another key element that counters the “feelgood bounce” of yacht in the same song. Puckrik identified a sub-genre, “dark yacht”, exemplified in Joni Mitchell’s “accidental yacht rock” song “The Hissing of the Summer Lawns” (1975), which described the “tarnished love” of “a woman trapped in a big house and a loveless marriage”.[13]

According to Mara Schwartz Kuge, who worked in the LA music industry for two decades, “Soft rock was a genre of very popular pop music from the '70s and early '80s, characterized by soft, mostly acoustic guitars and slow-to-mid tempos … most people have generalized the term to mean anything kind of soft-and-‘70s-ish, including artists like Rupert Holmes. Not all yacht rock is soft, either: Toto’s ‘Hold the Line’ and Kenny Loggins’ ‘Footloose’ are both very yacht rock but not soft rock.”[14]

Comprehensively defining yacht rock remains difficult, despite agreement that its central elements are “aspirational but not luxurious, jaunty but lonely, pained but polished”. Journalist Jack Seale stated that, as in other “micro-genres”, certain albums of artists who are accepted as proponents are “arbitrarily ruled in or out”. For example, Michael Jackson’s Thriller (1982) is accepted as yacht rock, but Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours (1977) is not.[15]