Who (or what) is Lance Armstrong?

If you want a quick fix, check out Outside magazine’s profile from 1998.

I’m pretty sure that Outside had profiled Lance again about six months ago, but I can’t find a mention of that on the site. It was a pretty good in-depth profile that discussed the effect his ‘my way or the highway’ attitude had on his marriage (when the article was written, he had separated from his wife but reunited to try again), and on his friends (if you do something to displease him, he’ll cut you out of his life in a heartbeat).

Lance is king of time trials. This is the perfect way to slam the door.

About time the Tour ends with pandemonium than a Sunday picnic ride.

As the local radio station reported on he’s “Half nuts over her”

No disrespect, though if you need to know more I would also highly recomend Its not about the bike. I haven’t read the new one yet, though I look forward to it.

I just started the book, INATB, and so far (chap. 4) he pretty much admits as much.
High acheivers tend that way, don’t they? They sometimes are as hard on themselves. Remember McEnroe?

It’s a pretty hard thing to compare the greats of today to the greats of yesteryear - consider tennis for example. Some people like to mention how todays athletes train harder, and prepare far more specifically than yesteryear’s athletes - but I respond to that with the assertion that the champions of the past would surely have trained just as hard and prepared just as ficused as today’s champions if those opportunities had presented themselves at the time.

Indeed, professional road racing is an evolving sport - it’s somewhat lost it’s way actually in the last 5 years in my opinion. Rightly or wrongly, Le Tour has now become TOO huge at the expense of the rest of the season. Traditionally, the Superbowl of the sport was the World Championship Road Race - a one day 270klm race in which the winner was granted the prestige of wearing the World Champion’s Jersey for the entire next year - in every race he contested. Indeed, the only time he wouldn’t wear the Rainbow Jersey was if he was wearing a leader’s jersey in any of the Grand Tours.

Sadly, Lance Armstrong didn’t contest this year’s World Championship. Nor did many of the sport’s other top 10 riders. This is a bad thing. It means that the Superbowl (as it were) of the season is now moving to the middle of the season instead of to the traditional season ending moment.

As a result, we might not ever see another cyclist win the fabled “Triple Crown” ever again. The “Triple Crown” is l’Giro d’Italia, Le Tour de France, and The World Championship. The last rider to win that one was a totally wonderful guy by the name of Stephen Roche - an extraordinary Irishman posessed of every strength and craftiness imaginable.

Unfortunately, the single minded focus which Lance Armstrong has employed regarding Le Tour has, in many respects, devalued the sport as a whole if truth be known. I’ve had these conversations before, and naturally enough some of my American friends here on the board who are only recent fans of cycling due to Lance’s efforts aren’t really thrilled to learn this - but in my opinion, the true test of magnificence in a Road Cyclist is his or her performance over an entire season. This includes the epic one-day spring classics, through the Grand Tours, on through the Autumn Classics and ending with the World Championship.

In that context, Lance Armstrong has quite a long way to go if truth be known to come close to rivalling a Bernard Hinault or an Eddy Mercx. And even Miguel Indurain won l’Giro in his final winning Le Tour year - which exemplified his overall season competence.

But Lance Armstrong these days focuses on Le Tour to the exclusion of absolutely everything else. It’s a bit like Joe Montana sitting out the entire season only to come out and be the winning Superbowl quarterback - sure, history will show his name alongside the winner’s lists - but true historians will also note there was a certain “something” lacking in the wins. And of course, in doing so, he’s also influencing the other stars in the sport to follow the same trends. Naturally, the Frenchies love this - anything which makes Le Tour de France even bigger than it already is is gonna get lapped up by those guys - but it’s actually ruining the sport overall believe it or not.

Now, all that being said, in the interests of fairness it has to be said that Lance Armstrong has definitely, inarguably perfected the art of “peaking” in July, and during that month he’s a totally wicked motherfucker. But oddly enough, this year I rather felt it was a bit of a hollow win in hindsight. His Team Time Trial winning performance on Stage 4 effectively put Lance Armstrong into a 1’30" lead 7 whole days before a pedal was turned in anger over a slope of any sort, and in doing so, Lance only had to ride a “protective race leading” strategy instead of actually having to attack and attack and attack until he took the lead.

I know I’m sounding kinda petty and jealous here - and I’m sorry for that. Lance is a top guy and a gentleman - and in his position I would have done the same thing, no doubts. Still, there’s such a thing as winning with “panache” and I remain unconvinced that Lance Armstrong will be remembered as fondly as Indurain or my personal fave, Hinault.

In closing, I admire his discretion I have to say. He actually mentions his cancer ordeal (in the context of being a truly great champion) far, far less often than the people around him do. He’s gracious enough to know that it gave him an unexpected boost to his innate power to weight ratio - he used to be a much chunkier, heavier guy who really struggled in the Grand Tours - and as such, he’s actually very quiet about it and thoroughly modest it seems to me, so kudos to him for that.

That reminds me. Time to prune.
I’m really, really sorry.

At the risk of hijacking the only cycling thread since July…

Once again,Boo Boo Foo, you raise some excellent points. You are the directeur sportif of the SDMB!

I understand your thoughts about the Tour devaluing the rest of the cycling season. You and I yearn for the spring and autumn classics, and the World Championships, and all the races in between. But Lance is one of the few who works almost solely for the Tour, no? So, perhaps it devalues cycling on my side of the planet (I’m in Canada - where are you?), but I’ll bet there are plenty of Belgians who don’t see it that way.

And FYI – If the truth be known, there are plenty more fellows who rate higher than Lance on my “THE MAN” scale. Bettini. Museeuw. Ullrich. Van Petegem. Boonen’s climbing the charts, too, I think. But when it comes to the Tour, Lance IS The Man. But he’ll never be Merckx. The world has changed. And I think it changed pre-Lance.

Mr. Armstrong’s achievements are quite remarkable, but I don’t quite get why they have him as a spokesman for Subaru. Oh well, whatever.

She told me she loved me like a brother. She was from Arkansas, hence the Joy!

True but the drug testing, periodized training regimes and physiological knowledge have gotten much better as well. As they said with a wink back then (until riders started dying), if you think they could ride all year at high tempo on “au Clair” sp? Today’s rider’s are tested alot more, and the tests are alot more sensitive. Therefore periodized training and peaking play a much bigger role for the Grand Tour riders.

While the riders today are more specialized, remember that Armstrong is very solid overall- top 3- in both climbing and TT’s. While he might not be the best rider ever- Eddy Merckx is acknowledged by his friend Lance as still holding that title, Lance probably has #2 well sewn up. 5 in a row versus the best riders from a decade long period (look at who he fought in his first tour versus now). Don’t forget he was world champion pre-cancer too.

A classics rider, like most of those listed above, only has to be good 5-6 days in a year. A Grand Tour rider has to be good for 3 straight weeks over a wide variety of courses. While I have a soft spot of admiration for the Belgium based hard men of the spring classics, they really do not compare overall to the big 3 Tour riders. Given the increasing weakness of the World Cup races, someone like Bettini impresses me even less.

In any event, returning to all time greats, for me Greg Lemond is vastly underrated- having to deal with getting shot and having a real backstabbing rat of a teammate. And still winning those Tours under very hostile conditions. He also was on the cutting edge of technology and innovation.