Who primarily buys scratcher lottery tickets?

I wasn’t sure if there was a factual answer for this, so I put it in IMHO.

Who buys all these scratcher lottery tickets?

I buy lottery tickets sometimes (for entertainment purposes of course), and most people that I know buys lottery tickets every once in a while. So I am not judging spending money on lotteries.

I don’t know anyone who buys scratchers. Yet if you go in convenience stores and other places that sell them, they take a up a good portion of space, so apparently a lot of people buy them.

I am guessing this is a demographics thing? They are pretty expensive, so I would be a little surprised if it were poorer people.

Yeah, almost everyone I see buying them is wearing a top hat and a monocle.

I buy them. I have a middle class income for around here. They are just a form of entertainment, and the odds of winning something are generally better than winning anything in the big drawings. How much do I spend? Maybe $10 a couple times a month, which is a lot less than I spent when I used to smoke.

For a while I had a company vehicle and a fleet card for gas. The card was set up in such a way as to require us to go in the gas station and sign for our gas. Every time I’d go in the station, I’d grab some scratch-offs. When my boys were young, they loved to do the scratching. It was relatively cheap family fun. When we won anything, we put it toward a family dinner out or a movie.

Poorer people disproportionately buy lottery tickets of all types. But especially scratch tickets and “minor” Pick-4 type games. The higher your income, the less likely you are to participate in lottery games aside from the $500mil prize jackpot ones. If you’re financially comfortable, a tiny chance at a $1,000 scratch-off prize isn’t as tempting as it is when you’re poor.

Really, you’ve never been stuck in line behind someone diversifying their portfolio?

“Gimme five of the Chump Challenge… five Breadline Express… uh, five, no… ten Royal Money Flush… ten of the Tent City Tycoons… five Magical Thinkers… six Fool’s Gold… five Welfare Kings… eight Wallet Busters…”

Lotteries are a tax on poor people.

In our family, we have a lot of fun doing Christmas stockings for both the kids and adults. The kids get toys in their stockings, and the adults who are present at our house have to buy a stocking stuffer for each other adult. We set a $5 limit on the stocking stuffers, and it is a lot of fun to see how cheap you can go. I’m a big spender, though. My go-to gift is $5 scratchers for each adult. It’s the only time I buy them.

One Christmas Eve, as I was leaving the 7-11 with my fistful of scratchers, I found 5 tickets on the ground, all scratched off, all losers. I put those tickets into my daughter’s stocking. On Christmas morning, she asked, “What’s this?” I told her that I had scratched her tickets but they were all losers. She pouted. Then I gave her the real tickets, which, unsurprisingly, were all losers. “See?” I said. “You won just as much as you did with the first batch I gave you!” Good times.

I also buy 'em as stocking stuffers. They’re fun to scratch off on Christmas morning, and the odds of winning something are only about twice the number of stockings, so there’s a reasonable chance someone wins a few bucks. They’re a waste of money, but not really any more so than the other crap that goes into stockings. I have bought the multi-million drawing ones before, but those aren’t as fun to open, since the drawing doesn’t take place on Christmas morning and you can’t scrape off little bits of foil all over the floor.

I was disappointed that this year the CA $1 scratchers max prize was like $800, which is hardly even worth getting excited over, so I bought the $2 ones, reasoning that it’s way more exciting to not win $25,000 than to not win $800.

But, yeah, I’m not the typical buyer. The typical buyer is poor people. It is sad.

Note that you can improve the odds on the scratch-off tickets, perhaps to the point where they’re quite favorable. For example, the state might have a game with 10,000 tickets sold and a grand prize of a million dollars. If the grand prize is collected within the first few tickets sold, the state continues to sell tickets and of course it’s unwise to buy them. But if most of the tickets have been sold and the grand prize is still unclaimed, the odds of winning are much better. (Most or all of the states publish on their websites which prizes have been won for each game.)

people who ar e desperate for $ buy lottery tickets. People who are out of work .

Dewey Finn is right. I usually buy my scratchoffs from the categories that still have a winner available, particularly if they are near sell out.

For those with non-winning tickets, check to see if your state has a second chance drawing for non-winning tickets. Ours does, so I generally send off an envelope full once a month, just in case. We won $200 on the second chance drawing once.

I tried Google for an answer to the OP’s question, but the results didn’t break out scratch-off lottery players from other lottery games, such as lotto.

I have never and would never buy a lottery ticket.

The liquor store around the corner is like an opium den. Always 10 or so people hanging out outside/inside, furiously scratching away. I’ll buy a couple every few months for shits n giggles, but not like those addicts that spend hours there.

Once in a while, if I didn’t feel like going to work I’d pick up a “cash for life” scratch-off ticket on the way to work on the off chance that I could retire early. No dice.

Like a couple of posters above, I also buy them to give as Christmas and birthday presents. I have found them to be more enjoyable for the recipients than most gifts. At our family gatherings, all of the nieces and nephews love to scratch them off to see if they won anything.

Now, I am not under the illusion that most scratch-offs are stocking stuffers. Most are bought by gamblers who need a quick fix, or by compulsive gamblers who waste a lot of money on the scratchers. I had an aunt who spent hundreds of dollars a month on scratchers. She would go from c-store to c-store buying tickets, believing that she was improving her odds by spreading her purchases around. She eventually won $15k in a high-dollar game (I believe the tickets cost $20 or $25 each), but this was after begging her daughters every month for money, since she spent what she had on lottery tickets.

Scratch-offs are like slot machines. You win small amounts just often enough to keep you coming back. Personally, I have never won more than a few dollars, but then I only buy a few tickets every few months. But I can see the psychological hook/attraction/compulsion.

I buy a month’s worth of Lotto with one set of numbers which is my and my sis’s birthdates (multi-drawings) and sock it away in my drawer. At the end of the month I check it.

About 10 years ago I won $5000 on a $5 scratch ticket. Just for that reason I still buy $10 to $20 worth of them a month. With all the other smaller wins, I’m probably still money ahead at this point.

In a word: suckers