Who’s been vaccinated?

My mom (76) just got her first Pfizer shot today. We’re in North Carolina and she scheduled the vaccine through the Duke hospital system. It took her a while to get through on the phone number she had, but she eventually got a person and was able to make an appointment. She went in today to a local hospital and had it done. They gave her her vaccination card and scheduled her second shot before she left. She said it was super organized and easy once the appointment was made.

I ended up having the same reaction to the COVID vaccine as I do to the flu shot every year: muscle aches, nausea, headache, diarrhea to the point of having to miss a couple days of work (we must stay home if we have certain symptoms). It was exactly the same.

Got the second shot today. Let’s see if there is any reaction. Just glad to be somewhat protected. I had a patient find out that she had been exposed in the middle of her visit. Luckily she had no symptoms.

I’ve decided to stop seeing patients until after I get my second shot, which is due in a bit over 2 weeks. We’re having another mini outbreak here where I work (only 40 or so folks so far), and I really don’t want to stumble here near the finish line. So I’m doing a few things remotely, burning some vacation time, and won’t see patients face to face until about Feb 8th or so. I don’t know how I got through the last 9 months without getting infected, over 900 of my patients tested positive for it.

This feels right. I’m high risk, and so’s my daughter who lives with us right now. She’s still waiting until they start offering the shots to her risk group, which probably won’t happen for at least another month if not longer. I think she should be in the same risk group as the seniors, given she’s got 1/3 the lung capacity of a normal person and requires home oxygen. But that’s a fight I won’t win.

I doubt if there’s anyone on this board who is in a higher risk situation than you. :anguished:

True, but I’m also high risk for bad outcomes, given my co-morbidities. As is my daughter.

I’m curious: did any of you vaccinated people need to sign a waiver?

Here’s some relevant bits for the waiver in my state:

State Waiver
  • I certify that I am: (a) the patient and at least 18 years of age; (b) the parent or legal guardian of the patient and confirm that the patient is at least 16 years of age; or (c) authorized to
    consent for vaccination for the patient named above. Further, I hereby give my consent to the Florida Department of Health (DOH) or its agents to administer the COVID-19 vaccine.

• I understand that this product has not been approved or licensed by FDA, but has been authorized for emergency use by FDA, under an EUA to prevent Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID19) for use in individuals 16 years of age and older; and the emergency use of this product is only authorized for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of the medical product under Section 564(b)(1) of the FD&C Act unless the declaration is terminated or authorization revoked sooner.

• I understand that it is not possible to predict all possible side effects or complications associated with receiving vaccine(s). I understand the risks and benefits associated with the above vaccine and have received, read and/or had explained to me the Emergency Use Authorization Fact Sheet on the COVID-19 vaccine I have elected to receive. I also acknowledge that I have had a chance to ask questions and that such questions were answered to my satisfaction.

• I acknowledge that I have been advised to remain near the vaccination location for approximately 15 minutes after administration for observation. If I experience a severe reaction, I will call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest hospital.

• On behalf of myself, my heirs and personal representatives, I hereby release and hold harmless the State of Florida, the Florida Department of Health (DOH), and their staff, agents, successors, divisions, affiliates, subsidiaries, officers, directors, contractors and employees from any and all liabilities or claims whether known or unknown arising out of, in connection with, or in any way related to the administration of the vaccine listed above.

• I acknowledge that: (a) I understand the purposes/benefits of Florida SHOTS, Florida’s immunization registry and (b) DOH will include my personal immunization information in Florida SHOTS and my personal immunization information will be shared with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or other federal agencies.

• I further authorize DOH or its agents to submit a claim to my insurance provider or Medicare Part B without supplemental coverage payment for me for the above requested items and services. I assign and request payment of authorized benefits be made on my behalf to DOH or its agents with respect to the above requested items and services. I understand that any payment for which I am financially responsible is due at the time of service or if DOH invoices me after the time of service, upon receipt of such invoice.

• I acknowledge receipt of the Notice of Privacy Rights.

And another waiver specific to my county:

County Waiver

I acknowledge the contagious nature of the COVID-19 and that the CDC and many other public health authorities still recommend practicing social distancing.

I acknowledge that the [County Board of County Commissioners] ([CBCC]) has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of the COVID-19.

I further acknowledge that the [CBCC] cannot guarantee that I will not become infected with the COVID-19. I understand that the risk of becoming exposed to and/or infected by the COVID-19 may result from the actions, omissions, or negligence of myself and others.

I voluntarily seek the COVID-19 vaccine provided by the Florida Department of Health of [County] and administered by [CBCC] and acknowledge that in receiving the vaccine, I may be exposing myself to COVID-19.

I understand that I must maintain knowledge of which brand of vaccine I have received, and I acknowledge that for the vaccine to be effective, I must obtain the second dose within the prescribed amount of time for that brand.

I acknowledge the risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 if I fail to obtain the second dose.

I acknowledge that [CBCC] does not guarantee that it will provide the second dose of the vaccine, and that it is incumbent upon me to obtain the second dose from available sources.

I further acknowledge that I must comply with all set procedures to reduce the spread following the receipt of this vaccine.

[promise that you meet eligibility requirements]

I hereby release and agree to hold the [County Board of County Commissioners] harmless from, and waive on behalf of myself, my heirs, and any personal representatives any and all causes of action, claims, demands, damages, costs, expenses and compensation for damage or loss to myself and/or property that may be caused by any act, or failure to act by the [CBCC], or that may otherwise arise in any way in connection with any services, including a COVID-19 vaccination, received from the [CBCC].

I understand that this release discharges [CBCC] from any liability or claim that I, my heirs, or any personal representatives may have against the [CBCC] with respect to any bodily injury, illness, death, medical treatment, or property damage that may arise from, or in connection to, any services, including a COVID-19 vaccination, received from [CBCC]. This liability waiver and release extends to all [CBCC] employees and individual commissioners.

~Max

I got my first dose of Moderna today in Maryland. My profession is licensed through the state Department of Health which put me in 1A tier 3. I got an appointment at a county site, which was surprisingly well-organized and flowed easily. There was a line, but the check-in went fast and there were many vaccine stations set up. The longest I had to wait was the 15 minutes they made us sit in a (socially distanced) holding pen with EMS in case we had anaphylaxis.

So far I have a mildly sore arm. I’ve heard from some people that the shot really hurt but I found it a non-event. I went in braced for a painful experience and then they told me it was all done and I was like “What, really?”

Thanks! I had heard rumors that it was maybe a little scarier than that. Still, will be the first shot I’ve had to sign a waiver for.

Got my first shot (Pfizer) an hour ago.

And yes, I took a selfie. It’s a whole thing. I apologized to the nurse, but she said that she was used to it.

I think I’ve signed something for every vaccine I ever got. I could be confused, but it seems like there is usually a form, as there often is in the doctor’s office.

Yes, I signed a waiver.

I had to sign electronically in PrepMod when I made the appointment but signed nothing at the actual site. I got handed a sheet with an FAQ and a list of potential side effects, my CDC vaccine card, and that was it.

My husband (North Carolina, physical therapist, over 50) is getting his first shot today!

No side effects from shot #2. Arm isn’t even as sore as with the first one. Hope they didn’t give me a placebo.

Just got mine. Incredibly well run, efficient and well planned. Took exactly an hour from getting in the line, to exiting after the side-effect wait. Our vax cards even had peel-off stickers (with time stamp) to place on the waiting-chair as we left. This signaled members of a small army of PPE’d folks who swooped in and sanitized each chair before the next arrival from the vaccination tables.

In our case there was a long, covered, distanced-marked, waiting line – seeded with chairs every 20 feet or so, and two LARGE (very clean) bathroom trailers with ramps and generators providing power/lights/heat. These were immediately adjacent to the line and easy to use. Tarrant County health workers roamed up and down the line with forms, clipboards, pens, and advice to ensure everyone had all their docs in a row before reaching the building. When they saw me with my own lawn chair, they invited me to the front of the line to wait until “my” spot caught up to me, and then re-join. Since there were chairs already there, I carried mine for nothing.

From the initial signup, to the phone-based confirmation and text alerts, to the extremely well planned vaccination process – it was the smoothest, best run process I’ve seen in a long while. The competence of our county workers is without question.

@psychobunny I get injections in the thigh. First dose of Pfizer caused a little pain and slight temp, with a headache I wouldn’t have noticed, on the day after. Nothing like my Shingrix or even flu vaccinations.

I was vaccinated (Pfizer shot #1) on Jan 19th as part of the law enforcement/corrections category. I had some minimal soreness in my arm the next day. There was absolutely no line to wait in. As people arrived, they were asked to stay in their vehicle in the parking lots, and tune their radios to a particular AM station. The broadcast repeated general advice and information about COVID and the vaccination process. It was periodically interrupted to tell groups of people when they could enter the building. I sat listening to the radio and killed time playing with my tablet for about 30 minutes until they announced they were ready for my group. I was in and out of the actual vaccination site (registered, vaccinated, waited 15 minutes while they monitored for allergic reactions) in about 25 minutes.

I’m in the Moderna trial; I got the shots in the fall but just found out today that I did, in fact, receive the active vaccine and not a placebo. I had suspected as much based on the side effects. Neither shot hurt when administered, but my arm got sore hours later both times. For me, it was worse than a flu shot, more like a tetanus shot. I had some mild fatigue and achiness the day after my second shot. All in all, totally bearable, and I’m thrilled to be protected.