Who said it? - quote about musical imagery

I remember reading (or listening to) a discussion about the power of music to implant images in the listener’s mind. It may have been at a pre-concert talk often held before the local orchestra performs. There was a debate as to how precise the image could be.

During the discussion someone quoted a famous composer - one who was active when this type of music was all the rage. He said something to the effect of:

Anyone know who may have said such a thing?

Bonus question: if this was an article or podcast, have you seen/heard it too? Where can I find it?

Let’s move this to Cafe Society.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

I believe Strauss said it, but without the idea that he could fail: As Strauss himself said, “I can translate anything into sound. I can make you understand by music that I pick up my fork and spoon from this side of my plate and lay them down on the other side.”

Could’ve been that link.

Which would be a lot more impressive if he had then proceeded to demonstrate. More impressive yet, if he gave a blind demonstration.

See, now you’ve ruined Also sprach Zarathustra for me, because I’m going to think lyrics into place the next time those notes start up.

**LIF … TING … FORK!

AND SPOON!**

FromThisSideOfThePlateAndThen…

AND SPOON…! Legit LOL.

Thanks The Other Waldo Pepper - yes that’s it. My dim memory added the “…failed as a composer” part. I don’t think I read that article (thanks for the link!)

My favourite example of program music (programme music?) is Chopin’s Raindrops - favourite because the first time I heard it was played by my daughter. I’m skeptical about the fork and spoon thing, but there’s no doubt in Chopin’s piece when the rainstorm starts to pick up.