Who was better looking, Paul Newman or Robert Redford?

Ha! They lie. All those actors’ stats are lies.

I’ve seen a number of celebrities in-person, and they’re always shorter than they claim to be.

And it wasn’t just that Newman was short. He’d be called petite if he were a woman. Rather fine-boned and delicately framed. The movies are magic.

Newman was handsome. Redford was ridiculously handsome.

The 'stache sat better on Newman in The Sting, though.

How they looked in their primes put both of them on the short list of “male celebrities I crush on.” Newman gets the slight nod from me over Redford, due to personality.

A friend who’s 5’8" met Newman 35 years ago. He said that Newman was his height. And a very nice guy, friendly and unassuming.

Yea, my brother is 6’1", and Newman came about an inch above his shoulder. I guessed 5’8".

Actors lie about their height. News at Eleven.

Just awesome.

Answering this question with great objectivity as I’m straight male. Redford is more classically handsome, whereas Newman had a certain charisma that Redford lacked. I’d call it a draw. Then there was Ben Murphy.

This is such a funny thread. Straight male here, but I thought it was fairly clear it was Paul Newman.

However, I guess it is not so clear.

He was 11 years older, though.

I have had the same conversation with many women that just don’t believe me when I tell them that I honestly can’t judge a man’s attractiveness. It’s really not a macho thing. I just cannot tell. I can tell if they’re well dressed or clean looking but that’s about it.

And you’d like to meet his tailor.

Steve McQueen, I thought everybody knew that.

This came up in another thread recently. It’s all in the eyes. Newman!

Big crush on Redford as a teenager (when BC&TSK came out), but I rewatched it recently and nah. Newman all the way. He was the guy they invented the word sexy for, and he kept it to the end.

I, cis het female, have that issue in reverse. i always thought Ginger was prettier than Mary Ann and Jennifer was prettier than Bailey. Apparenrtly the male population is of the other opinion.

I think Newman aged into being great looking, In “the Verdict” was the first time I thought he was really good looking. Redford, I always thought was a hunk.

I agree. In his early films there was something unappealing about Newman for me. The older Newman is miles better.

(bolding mine)

Not exactly. Even horny men can tell that Mary Ann and Bailey were much nicer and approachable women. I don’t think those preferences are really based on physical beauty alone.

Said another way, Mary Ann was plenty cute enough and would probably say “Yes” if asked. Ginger was hotter and more professionally beautiful but would say “No” for sure. At least to the likes of me.

In those circumstances I vote for “yes”, even just maybe “yes” every time.

Ginger was “high maintenance” as known in the trade. Moody, prone to vindictiveness. “No matter how hot, some poor SOB is sick of her shit”

Mary Ann - arguably hotter nay unto incendiary territory, yet down to earth and approachable. Plus coconut cream pies.

Q.E.D.

I’m (a guy) the same; I can’t tell what guys women are going to swoon over. For that matter, I’m sometimes surprised at what women some guys go gaga for.

The reason Mary Ann stands out is because she goes against the expectation of what kind of woman guys are supposed to be attracted to. Ginger is a glamorous, bombshell movie star; every man’s dream, right? Well, no, not every man’s; but I’m sure she has plenty of admirers, too.

That’s pretty much the whole message of this thread; people’s tastes differ.