Who was Doghouse Riley?

Well, she tried to sit in his lap while he was standing up.

It’s from the “Saint James Infirmary Blues,” which I always associate with Cab Calloway.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the discussion, I learned something new here. I know this is a way back thread, but thanks anyway.
This is a random guy from China and trying to translate Big Sleep in Chinese by myself and for myself. There’re published works but to be honest they are lame, ignoring the cultures and backgrounds and poor Chinese. I tried to look everything up to make sure not missing anything behind the words, and the Doghouse Reily leads me here.
Well, At least I found a reasonable explanation from urban dictionary: Urban Dictionary: Doghouse Riley]
It says

Hmm. An interesting take on the term. And the urban dictionary definition would work in the context of the book (years not withstanding).

Too tall to hang, maybe?

Oh, it was just some guy who got that nickname because he was always getting into trouble with his wife.

From my recollection of the film, when Carmen meets him for the first time she says, “not very tall, are you?” (and Bogey was actually short, though his films usually disguised it)

The urban dictionary refers to the guy as a “right” Doghouse Riley - that is Brit usage. There are some of that sort on the Dope, any recognition there?

I favor the jazz connection - a stand-up bass can be referred to as a doghouse.

Dan

“That sort” meaning British? Well! :wink:

Never heard the expression; but I do have a few slang dictionaries and, prompted by the suggestion that this may be British, I took a look. This is the best I have, from Partridge’s Dictionary of the Underworld:

In fact, all of those usages look more US than UK to me (UK would say railway, for example. Partridge was born in NZ but his career was in the UK, so I take it that when he uses the word railroad it implies US).

Something more to speculate about, I suppose.

j

But in the books, Marlowe is quite tall (6’ 1-1/2", tall for those days).

I wonder if there were the same sorts of moans then about short Bogart playing tall Marlowe, as there are now about short Tom Cruise playing tall Jack Reacher?

Apples and oranges. Bogart was 5’ 8" tall, while Cruise is just a bit under 3’.

I recently saw part of the 1978 version of The Big Sleep. As I recall, Marlowe still refers to himself Doghouse Reilly, but Carmen’s references to his height were rewritten. Robert Mitchum played Marlowe, and he’s 6’1".

I think the ending may have been changed a bit as well.

:p:p:p

I did a search of all US newspapers using both spellings and the only hits were in movie reviews.

Dennis