Who was Hitler before Hitler was Hitler?

Ever since the 1940s, Adolf Hitler, independent (or at least as an outgrowth) of his historical significance, has become a universal symbol of evil. He’s almost a cipher, a shorthand for “as evil as a human being can possibly be.” He practically salted he cultural ground he walked on, to the point that his once-common given name and mustache instantly went out of style, never to recover (so far).

Before Hitler, was there ever anyone else who was so synonymous with evil? I mean, what did people use to Godwinize a discussion in the 19th century? "You know who else wore fur hats? THAT’S RIGHT, THE MONGOL HORDE!"

Napoleon Bonaparte?

Attila the Hun, for sheer destructive barbarism. Calling the Germans “Huns” in WW1, for example.

Machiavelli, for unscrupulousness.

I never understood why people consider him to be so evil. Sure, he wanted to rule the world, but so did so many others. It’s not like he even had a chance.

In England that was definitely Napoleon. Having read a couple of history books from the late 1800s the perception of him was truly poison compared to more recent tellings of his story.

Nevertheless, I think he was used as a shorthand for Evil. (Also, people thinking they’re Napoleon was shorthand for Crazy.) I never thought of him as Evil, so much as ‘ambitious’. But I’m not an expert on European history.
ETA: MG1692’s post makes sense as to why he was seen as evil.

Hägar the Horrible was a nasty piece of work.

Ivan the Terrible was not very nice either.

And Vlad the Impaler was really disgusting.
Really, anyone with “the” as their middle name you could pretty much count on being evil.

Pretty sure he never did anything worse than taking too long between showers.

Winnie the Pooh.

What do Winnie the Pooh and John the Baptist have in common?
Their middle name.

Well there was the whole invading other countries and bringing years of war and suffering to Europe part. But aside from that he was an OK guy.

Yeah, but he was a “moderniser”. That gives him carte blanche to go about invading countries and being nasty to all who opposed him.

A thieving honey bear.

History’s greatest monster.

Obligatory Pooh Goes Apeshit link.

Nitpick, most people outside of Romania (where he was considered a harsh, but heroic figure) didn’t know about Vlad the Impaler. Other than his mention in Bram Stroker’s Dracula he didn’t get a lot of attention and many of the readers of Dracula assumed Stroker’s work was completely fictionalized.

Agreed - again, to my mind, the best paralel would be Attila the Hun - not because his actual history was well known, but because of the use of his name (and that of his nation) to define barbaric brutality. If you called someone a “Hun”, outside of Hungary, it wasn’t a complement.

My hypothesis stands.

Previous thread.

And in that thread this:

It’s like a fractal.