Who was the younger batting champ: Ty Cobb or Al Kaline?

I am posting this thread to replace one that apparently got deleted a while back.
Ty (Tyrus Raymond) Cobb was born December 18, 1886; in the 1907 season he got a batting title with a .350 average; I assume the 1907 season ended 2 1/2 months before his 21st birthday.
Al (Albert William) Kaline was born December 19, 1934; in the 1955 season he got a batting title with a .340 average; I assume the 1955 season ended 2 1/2 months before his 21st birthday.
So which was younger?

The answer is Kaline.

THe 1907 season ended October 5th.

The 1955 season ended September 26th.

What samclem says is correct, but throughout his career, Kaline never got the recognition he deserved for his accomplishment.

Even to this day, Al Kaline is bitter.

Really? It was on all his baseball cards, he was one of the most beloved players in Detroit history (certainly better liked than Cobb, but that didn’t require much :smiley: ), and he was elected to the HOF on the first ballot.

Kaline is pretty well-liked in Detroit from what I can tell. I think some of his accomplishments are overshadowed because he played in the same era as Aaron, Mays, McCovey, Mantle, Frank Robinson as well as playing in the era of dominant pitching 1962-1968.

Also Kaline broke in when NY area teams were dominating the Major Leagues. The Tigers didn’t win anything until 1968 and Kaline was injured much of that year, but did recover for the World Series.

If Kaline didn’t get the recognition during his career, and I’m not sure that’s true, he certainly has now.

I googled youngest batting champion and every useful hit in the first 30 mentioned Kaline, while none said Cobb.

Actually, I was just making an (unsuccessful) attempt at humor in my previous post.

Sorry for the disruption.

I think part of that is because Kaline, like Nellie Fox, Minnie Minoso, Vic Power, and any number of other AL players never made it to the World Series–or, as in the case of Kaline, hardly ever–thanks to the damned Yankees. :mad:
(I understand that Ted Williams did not make MVP in 1941 [the year he hit .400] or 1947 [when he won the Triple Crown]; both years a Yankee player got the honor. There must have been some financial basis for the rejection of Williams.) :frowning:

Perhaps you should have said it more acidly, Surreal.

No, because a guy named al kaline was born to play baseball.

Acidly? Is that a pun on Al Kaline?
hehehe :smiley:

base. Hey, tom. I got it if no one else did.

Well, pHooey on anyone who doesn’t like Al Kaline.