Who will succeed Letterman?

Letterman is now a father. Letterman is 56 years old. CBS has a “Tonight Show” clone that they probably do not want to give up.

If Letterman falls over and dies tomorrow, who will replace him? Craig Kilborne? Will CBS try to power play Conan O’Brien over?

What would happen?

CBS will likely let Worldwide Pants continue to produce the show. So, it will depend on who the WP controllers like. Jon Stewart was once in contention for the after-Letterman time slot that Craig Kilborn got. So, either one would be a likely successor.

Peace.

I don’t think CBS will let WWP continue to produce. The first thing NBC did when Johnny Carson left the Tonight show was pull it away from Caron’s production company.

Any speculation about who would replace Letterman is futile. After all, who the hell had heard of Conan O’Brian (unless you watched the credits on the Simpsons)? Besides, whenever Dave says goodbye (A year? Five years?) who’s hot now might be stone cold, and whoever will be hot may be a complete unknown today.

Sienfeld?

Ooooooh…I’d like to see Jon Stewart in that slot. He’s tops.

Ooooooh…I’d like to see Jon Stewart in that slot. He’s tops.

Jon Stewart would be my vote too. Somebody needs to give that man a well-deserved network TV timeslot!

Dennis Miller!

Who?

No kidding,! Let’s not forget that at one time Joan Rivers was the heir apparant for Johnny Carson. Now, not only is she not respected, she’s loathed by millions.

E3

Me! I’m hilarious! I crack myself up!

Seriously, John Stewart would be great. I have to admit to being a little tired of Letterman.

On another note, does being 56 and a father really mean he’s ready for his lounge chair? Wasn’t Carson MUCH older than this when he gave up his show?

Stallone is around 57, Schwarzenegger is 57 or 58…I know these things because my DAD is 58 and I always remember thinking, “Hey, he’s the same as my dad.” These guys are hardly slowing down…more like figuring out other ways to take over.

Come to think of it, my dad would make a GREAT replacement for Letterman.

L

Paul Shaffer!

Good idea! Since Roy’s out of commission for a while - maybe forever - I’m sure he’s got the free time. But no live tigers on the set! And I say J. Fred Muggs gets to be bandleader!
Oh, wait

In the current issue of Entertaiment Weekly, John Stewart hints at being on the lookout for a talkshow gig.
It’d be sad to see him leave the Daily Show, and damn damn difficult to find anyone as smart as Stewart to take his place.

Plus, wherever Stewart goes, he’ll probably have to tone himself down. Same dilemma with Conan, if he moves to 11:30.

I heard Wendell Carruthers was the favorite, and they were also looking at Harvey Chang?

I don’t think so. The Daily Show is on at 11 pm, but it’s reshown in its entirety at 7 pm the next day. (All times Eastern; your time may vary.) Plus he’s on regular cable, not some fancy-schmancy pay channel like HBO.

Yes, but broadcast channels (CBS, NBC…) have FCC regulations and more pressure from sponsors. Cable channels, however, have no regulations. Therefore, it is quite possibly that by moving channels/timeslots, some material that would be acceptable on comedy central wouldn’t be acceptable on CBS at 11.

Like what? I can’t name anything they do on the Daily Show that couldn’t be done at 11:35 (not 11) Eastern time.

Also, remember that the FCC only steps in if someone actually complains. The only thing preventing networks from putting something on is their sponsors.

Also, TV standards have been falling steadily for the last few years, and will probaby continue to do so for the forseeable future. I don’t see Jon Stewart having to radically modify his routine to fill Letterman’s shoes. As for Conan, I think his main barrier is that his humor is too bizarre for an earlier slot, not too raunchy. I don’t think people would be offended by, say, the robot going to the bathroom, but I don’t think many people would find it funny, either. Of course, they said the same thing about Dave, when Carson retired…

Also, TV standards have been falling steadily for the last few years, and will probaby continue to do so for the forseeable future. I don’t see Jon Stewart having to radically modify his routine to fill Letterman’s shoes. As for Conan, I think his main barrier is that his humor is too bizarre for an earlier slot, not too raunchy. I don’t think people would be offended by, say, the robot going to the bathroom, but I don’t think many people would find it funny, either. Of course, they said the same thing about Dave, when Carson retired…