Who will take the rap for the FBI's Moussaoui investigation SNAFU?

FBI Agent Colleen Rowley’s 13 page letter blamed FBI senior Washington officials and a particular FBI Supervisory Special Agent for blocking the investigation of Moussaoui:

The NY Times brought in the name David Frasca:

My hope is that we will have all the real answers PDQ, but it may be fun to guess in the meantime:

[ol][]Who in the FBI will take the rap?[]Is it a bum rap? Or merely malfeasance? Or a “see-no-evil” attitude? Or something more sinister?[]Which past and present FBI heads will be blamed?[]Will John Ashcroft or Janet Reno be found at fault?How about Bush and Clinton, or even Papa Bush? Will any of them be found at fault?[/ol]

There will be investigations and hearings, but at the end of the day, people way down in the food chain will get stuck with the rap, if at all. No former head of the FBI, Attorney General or even a former President will be found at fault because that’s not the way Washington works.

Quite a bit will depend upon what other events will become more newsworthy, either with the assistance of the movers/shakers and/or the events themselves taking on lives of their own.

My cynicism shows because at the end of the day the average American could care less, unless it hit them in the nose. When you have a population well on the way to becoming sheep, there is no strong pressure to get to the truth about much of anything anymore.

The Beltway Mentality will continue as always because the rest of the country is too lazy to demand anything requiring effort.

There will be investigations and hearings, but at the end of the day, people way down in the food chain will get stuck with the rap, if at all. No former head of the FBI, Attorney General or even a former President will be found at fault because that’s not the way Washington works.

Quite a bit will depend upon what other events will become more newsworthy, either with the assistance of the movers/shakers and/or the events themselves taking on lives of their own.

My cynicism shows because at the end of the day the average American could care less, unless it hit them in the nose. When you have a population well on the way to becoming sheep, there is no strong pressure to get to the truth about much of anything anymore.

The Beltway Mentality will continue as always because the rest of the country is too lazy to demand anything requiring effort.

It was a dark and stormy night. The peasants were in an ugly mood, armed with torches and pitchforks, they moved on the castle.

Inside, they’re measuring Director Muellar for his martyr suit. He is sobbing uncontrollably. The Leader moves forward and pats his shoulder in a comradely fashion.

“There there, Muley…”

“Don’t call me that! I hate it when you call me that!”

“…it’s all for the best. Gotta be somebody. Can’t be me, can’t be the Powellster…”

“Why not! Why not him!”

The Leader looks confused for a moment, then Dr. Rovenstien leans over and whispers in his ear.

"Well, he’s Secretary of State, Paul. "

“It’s because he’s black, isn’t it!? This is some kind of affirmative action thing…”

“Well, that’s part of it, sure. Gotta have one black on the cabinet, even if he is a bit wimpy about bombing stuff…”

“What about Condoleeza Rice? She’s almost as black as Whitney Houston, isn’t she?”

The Leader knots his brow in concentration, turns to the Dr. R.

“She is? When did that happen, Karl?”

“Born that way, sir. They all are.”

By this time, they have herded the Director to the balcony. They crowd spots him and howls for blood. “Blood!” they howl.

They move him closer to the edge, the Leader has wandered off to ask Laura if that’s right, that they’re born that way. Son of a gun, he whispers, shaking his head. Don’t that beat all.

The New York Times blames an incident that occurred during the Reno/Freeh period.

Times columnist Wilima Safire blames the Ashcroft/Mueller regime for a continuing effort at cover-up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/27/opinion/27SAFI.html

Well december, the blame game has started. So? :slight_smile:

Throwing blame around is one thing. Being responsible is quite another. Unless it goes to court, don’t assume anyone will be held accountable.

The Blame Game!

Mueller, Mueller, Bob Mueller, Banana Pana Bob Mueller, …

So. maybe Mueller should be replaced as FBI director. Maybe certain FBI Washington bigwigs should be replaced. Certainly someone needs to find a way to fix the problems and make the FBI more effective.

BTW I have no objection to an independent investigation, and I think it’s appropriate that the relevant House and Senate committess are holding hearings. Nevertheless, I hold Ashcroft and Bush responsible for making the FBI work properly, because that’s the line of command.