Who would I see about...?

Who would I need to see if I had a question about a possible food allergy? A nutritionist or an allergist? I really want to know if for some, eating or craving carbohydrates will make you crave them more and contribute to weight gain even if caloric intake isn’t all that high. any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated.


Well, Scraps you seem to be asking two different questions. If you’re concerned about a food allergy (hives, wheezing, rash, swelling, cramps or watery diarrhea) associated with ingesting certain foods, I’d consult your family doc first, then maybe an allergist. As for your second question, I’m not sure what you’re asking, so I’ll give it a pass, and let another doper take a stab at it.

Well the obvious answer to this question is…

(please post the subject in the subject field, you’ll get more answers, I promise ;))

I’m no nutritionist, but eating an excessive or disproportionate amount of carbohydrates will certainly lead to weight gain. Yet I don’t think there’s any food that can increase one’s weight without an excess of caloric intake (i.e., consuming more calories than you burn).

I once saw a book whose title was something to the effect of “Carbohydrate Addicts Diet” or some such. You might want to look into that. For the record, though, such books are typically full of pseudo-scientific rubbish.