Who wouldn't like a slave..be he/she black or white

Technically, your female friend was an “indentured servant”, not a “slave”.

labdude the diffrence is they could leave at any time, you are paying them and there is no diffrence between the 2 examples you had.

If it was legal and I could afford one, of course I would get a slave. It would be far too convenient (and potentially profitable) to turn down. I have a lot less reasons to have one now that I am married, but I’d still like one.

Moral issues aside, I’m too freakishly obsessive to even have a maid, much less a slave. I make my own bed in hotel rooms, fer cryin out loud. What would I do with a slave? I’d have to make his or her bed in addition to my own. Who needs that? Yes, being freakishly obsessive is my own issue, but now you want to make some innocent person deal with it as well? So, count me among the people who fit into the category of “people who wouldn’t like a slave.”

I think all these pro-slavery posters are imagining that the rest of us…society, the cops, the courts, etc…will help them force their slaves to work.

Well, imagine this scenario. You wake up one morning, and your slave hasn’t made the coffee. “Where’s my coffee?” you demand. The slave just sits there. “Why aren’t you working?” you scream. Your slave responds, “I’ve decided I’m not going to work for you anymore. In fact, I’m going to get up right now and go live with that Quaker family down the street.”

Now what do you do? Grab a whip? Call the cops? Ask society to punish your slave? Are you imagining that we will have the obligation to track down and return your slave if your slave escapes? Will we have to make sure your slave doesn’t vote? Are you going to shift all the externalities of slaveowning onto the non-slaveowners? Slavery can be profitable if the slave-owner can shift those costs to everyone else, as was done in pre-Civil War America. But if you have to bear the costs yourself?

If you are not prepared to use physical violence to force your slave to work, I contend that you aren’t as ready to own a slave as you think. I imagine that most of the time slaves work without violence…but only because the threat of violence is there, 24/7. If you’re the kind of guy who doesn’t enjoy beating his wife or kicking dogs, I imagine you wouldn’t enjoy owning a slave. But hey, maybe you’ll grow to enjoy it. But of course, you will have transformed yourself into a monster by then.

So are you taking applications for owners? :wink:

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Lok *
[QUOTESo are you taking applications for owners? :wink:
**[/QUOTE]

Are you applying?

:slight_smile:

-L

I am sure that these days somebody would start a slave recovery service, kinda like bounty hunters, hire a lot of ex-cops, and make a bit of change. Maybe not much, though. Modern technology gives us several new ways to control slaves. One could implant devices that give a stunning electrical shock when given the correct coded signal from a remote, and tracking devices for if they managed to get out of range. These could be used for motivation as well as to prevent escape. Law enforcement probably would not be required to become involved in most cases of attempted escape.

[/QUOTE]

I am sure that these days somebody would start a slave recovery service, kinda like bounty hunters, hire a lot of ex-cops, and make a bit of change. Maybe not much, though. Modern technology gives us several new ways to control slaves. One could implant devices that give a stunning electrical shock when given the correct coded signal from a remote, and tracking devices for if they managed to get out of range. These could be used for motivation as well as to prevent escape. Law enforcement probably would not be required to become involved in most cases of attempted escape. **
[/QUOTE]

Gee, Badtz, are you contemplating “Slaves R Us”? National franchising? A home-based import-export biz? Prey, where do you get your supply of slaves? Sounds like a Star Trek re-run.