Who wrote this?

When I was in high school, I took tournament speech and used this speech in competition. Over the years, I’ve spent a great deal of time trying to find its full text. It was called “A COMMEMORATION TO LINCOLN.” It was written and delivered by Carl Sandberg, I think, in 1965 to commemorate Lincoln’s 150th birthday.

Does anyone know where I get a copy of the the entire text of the speech? Its one of the most beautiful speeches I’ve ever heard and starts out something like this:

"Not often in the story of mankind, does a man arrive on earth who is both steel and velvet; who is as hard as stone and as soft as drifting fog. Who holds in his heart and mind, the paradox of terrible storm and peace, unspeakable and perfect.

Here and there, accross the ages have come me alleged to have these contrasts and the incomparable Abraham Lincoln, born, 150 years ago this day, is an approach if not the perfect realization of this character.

In the time of the April lilac on his death his body was carried a thousand miles from east to west. Bells sobbed, cities wore crape and the American people wept as never before as the burial car passed the seven leading states ending, its journey in Springfield, Illinois, his home town. …"

If someone out there knows where I can get a copy of the entire text, I’d be most grateful. Thanks.

Still trying to find the actual text, but I think this is what you are looking for:

ABRAHAM LINCOLN 1809-1959. THE ADDRESS BY CARL SANDBURG BEFORE THE UNITED STATES CONGRESS WASHINGTON, D.C. FEBRUARY 12, 1959.

Google search had this cached as a listing at whipper.abebooks.com in a rare printing, but searching that site now doesn’t seem to hit it now.

Found it!

It was re-read into the congressional record on 11/26/1991 by a Mr. Jacobs, representative of Indiana.

try here for the full text: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?r102:2:./temp/~r102Uhy7g1:e0:

Thanks a HEAP, deathawk. I can’t tell you in how many books stores I searched for it over the years. I owe you one. Tell me how did you know where to look?

Its a great speech isn’t it?

Thanks again. I’m one happy camper :smiley: :smiley:

terggie

Started at Google,
http://www.google.com

A web search engine I recently ran across. I think the word combo I used was Linclon, Sandberg, Congress.

Google is very good but not structured in it’s returns the way yahoo can be. It is however, very fast. You can find a lot of usefull info with it if you are patient in refining what words to search with.