Who's Afraid Of Karl Marx?

Sua, you can define a capitalist as anyone with a lemonade stand if you want to but I think Olentzero’s definition makes a lot more sense than yours. More to the point, it also happens to meet the criteria of Adam Smith’s remarks whereas yours does not: i.e., Smith was specifically saying that people who live off of profit (rather than land or wages) can’t be trusted to identify their interest with that of the public. As the member of a mutual fund, I myself own some stock as do about 50% of Americans including, apparently, Olentzero. But I do not consider myself to be a capitalist because–at least for now–my stock ownership doesn’t come anywhere close to providing me with an income.

You said: “Of course Enron tried to circumvent the system, and the system failed to stop it. And, by circumventing the system, Enron destroyed wealth”

Yes, but neither Adam Smith nor Olentzero was arguing that capitalists or corporations who egregiously practice deceit don’t sometimes spite their own bottom line. Rather, I take O. to have been responding to your previous claim:

“The fact that the regulatory system failed in the case of Enron does not mean that capitalists dislike the regulatory system…”

Perhaps not, but I certainly see little evidence of corporations seeking out regulation that impacts their bottom line in order to benefit consumers or the public at large. Sure, corporations like some kinds of regulation: the kind, for example, the helps credit card companies to ensure that, say, bankruptcy laws get enforced against individual debtors; or the kind that helps them to sue a defaulting subcontractor.

Certainly I agree with you that corporate self-interest is no reason to advocate state ownership of all wealth. However, Enron shows that Smith was entirely right about who can be trusted to legislate. Dick Cheney is exactly the kind of elected representative Smith would distrust: and the entire lobbying system that allowed Enron to push for the kind of deregulation it wanted and then to manipulate the California crisis to its own advantage would have Smith rolling in his grave. That is not necessarily an indictment of capitalism: for surely Smith wouldn’t go that far. But it’s certainly a sign that the system that has democracy for sale needs some major adjustments, and they’re precisely the kind of problems that Smith (writing more than 200 years ago) warns us against.

Demos: Here is another Smith quotation from BkI, ch.5 of Wealth of Nations:

"The value of any commodity is equal to the quantity of labour which it enables him to purchase or command. Labour, therefore, is the real measure of the exchangeable value of all commodities.
The real price of everything, what everything really costs to the man who wants to acquire it, is the toil and trouble of acquiring it."

Marx’s key distinction from the classical political economists, and Ricardo in particular, was to distinguish between labor and labor power: but more on this later (if anyone is interested) as I must run.

I just thought I’d add, since I see this semantic squabbling is continuing, that Webster’s defines “capitalist” in this fashion: “1. An investor of capital in business, esp. one having a major interest in an important enterprise. 2. A very wealthy person. 3. A supporter of capitalism.” Alas, Sua none of these definitions seems to recreate Olentzero in the image of Bill Gates or George Souros so perhaps you might want to give this prong of your argument a rest. OTOH, since I don’t seek to overturn capitalism I guess I qualify under definition #3 ;).

What about #1 “an investor of capital in business”? I’m not saying that Olentzero is Bill Gates, but he has invested capital in business - he owns stock.

Sua

I got swooshed? Geez guys, forgive me for not immediately noticing the provenance of a single paragraph taken out of context. Oh yeah, you really ‘got’ me on that one…

Especially since I said that I agreed with the paragraph, said it was, however, an incomplete thought, and then followed it up by another paragraph from Adam Smith that completes the idea. Given that I didn’t realize the passage was from Smith, wouldn’t have to agree that that was a pretty perceptive reading on my part?

I suspect that Mandelstam was waiting for me to pop off a knee-jerk “That’s a ridiculous paragraph” comment, that he could then turn on me and go, “Ah ha! That’s from your capitalist idol Adam Smith!”. Didn’t work out that way, though.

By the way, I’m not a big fan of ‘gotcha’ debates. I’m more interested in sharing ideas and trying to learn and teach than I am in trying to spring traps on my opponents.

I’m fully aware that many people think the ‘invisible hand’ is a mystical appeal, but it’s not the case. We’re not talking about God here, we’re talking about the fact that the market is a regulatory body that compels people to act in certain ways if they wish to get ahead. As a very simple example, let’s say I want your car. But if we are acting in the marketplace, the only way I can get your car is to give you what you want in exchange. I was guided ‘as if by an invisible hand’ to give you something that you want, in order to further my own interests. That’s a very simplistic example, but that’s what the invisible hand means.

I attend a fair number of meetings in one of the world’s largest corporations. Some of them at a pretty high level. I have NEVER, EVER, heard anyone suggest a way that we can fool the public or screw the consumer. Instead, the focus is ALWAYS on how we can improve quality, be more responsive to customer needs, shorten the time it takes to ship to the customer, etc. Our entire organization is built around the principle of ‘six-sigma’, which is a methodology for reducing defects and improving quality of our products.

There are lots of anguished moments as we try and figure out how to afford to do some of these things, how we can stretch resources, how much money we’ll have to spend to implement them, etc. This is money that the company would rather not spend - we’d rather make stuff with less investment at high margins and make out like bandits. But we can’t, because the market FORCES us to do this in order to compete. So for the company to get ahead, we have to listen to what the market DICTATES to us. This is the invisible hand in action.

I got swooshed? Geez guys, forgive me for not immediately noticing the provenance of a single paragraph taken out of context. Oh yeah, you really ‘got’ me on that one…

Especially since I said that I agreed with the paragraph, said it was, however, an incomplete thought, and then followed it up by another paragraph from Adam Smith that completes the idea. Given that I didn’t realize the passage was from Smith, wouldn’t have to agree that that was a pretty perceptive reading on my part?

I suspect that Mandelstam was waiting for me to pop off a knee-jerk “That’s a ridiculous paragraph” comment, that he could then turn on me and go, “Ah ha! That’s from your capitalist idol Adam Smith!”. Didn’t work out that way, though.

By the way, I’m not a big fan of ‘gotcha’ debates. I’m more interested in sharing ideas and trying to learn and teach than I am in trying to spring traps on my opponents.

I’m fully aware that many people think the ‘invisible hand’ is a mystical appeal, but it’s not the case. We’re not talking about God here, we’re talking about the fact that the market is a regulatory body that compels people to act in certain ways if they wish to get ahead. As a very simple example, let’s say I want your car. But if we are acting in the marketplace, the only way I can get your car is to give you what you want in exchange. I was guided ‘as if by an invisible hand’ to give you something that you want, in order to further my own interests. That’s a very simplistic example, but that’s what the invisible hand means.

I attend a fair number of meetings in one of the world’s largest corporations. Some of them at a pretty high level. I have NEVER, EVER, heard anyone suggest a way that we can fool the public or screw the consumer. Instead, the focus is ALWAYS on how we can improve quality, be more responsive to customer needs, shorten the time it takes to ship to the customer, etc. Our entire organization is built around the principle of ‘six-sigma’, which is a methodology for reducing defects and improving quality of our products.

There are lots of anguished moments as we try and figure out how to afford to do some of these things, how we can stretch resources, how much money we’ll have to spend to implement them, etc. This is money that the company would rather not spend - we’d rather make stuff with less investment at high margins and make out like bandits. But we can’t, because the market FORCES us to do this in order to compete. So for the company to get ahead, we have to listen to what the market DICTATES to us. This is the invisible hand in action.

Sam: If you’ll re-read what I wrote you’ll see that the tone of my last wasn’t at all “gotcha.” In fact I said you’d honorably passed the test of judging “Marx” by your own lights; and I also said that I knew you could do the same thing to me. So let’s not get carried away, please.

"I suspect that Mandelstam was waiting for me to pop off a knee-jerk “That’s a ridiculous paragraph” comment, that he could then turn on me and go, “Ah ha!”

I am shocked! After all these months and you still don’t know that I’m a woman! :mad:

Seriously, Sam, I never use a term like “honorable” unless I mean it. Please believe me when I say that I was very pleased that everyone comported himself so well during my experiment.

Here we have Olentzero taking Adam Smith’s part (!), Sua showing no sign of soreness whatsoever :), while you basically contrasted a famous excerpt from Smith to one that is hardly known at all. As I said, an honorable response to a set-up that only a serious Smith scholar would have noticed.

"I’m more interested in sharing ideas and trying to learn and teach than I am in trying to spring traps on my opponents. "

As am I, Sam, and I apologize for the trap; I can understand why you see it that way. All I can say, though, is that if I were you I’d be pleased with myself. I hope we can shake on this one as I had not intention to goad you, or to glory in a cheap shot, whatever your response might have been.

“I’m fully aware that many people think the ‘invisible hand’ is a mystical appeal, but it’s not the case. We’re not talking about God here, we’re talking about the fact that the market is a regulatory body that compels people to act in certain ways if they wish to get ahead.”

Well, now we’re onto debate. The truth is that you may not be talking about God, but Smith was (see below).

“But if we are acting in the marketplace, the only way I can get your car is to give you what you want in exchange. I was guided ‘as if by an invisible hand’ to give you something that you want, in order to further my own interests. That’s a very simplistic example, but that’s what the invisible hand means.”

To you, no doubt. People have forgotten that Smith was a moralist; they’ve forgotten that he was the author of the The Theory of Moral Sentiments (in which it is is posited that people are endowed with innate morality), and, most important, they’ve forgotten huge chunks of The Wealth of Nations, including the passage I cited above.

Here are some other interesting Smith quotations, that fly in the face of his supposed laissez-fairism:

From the Theory of Moral Sentiments, here’s the basic context for the “invisible hand”:

“By acting according to the dictates of our moral faculties, we necessarily pursue the most effectual means of promoting the happiness of mankind, and may therefore be said in some sense to co-operate with the Deity and to advance, as far as in our power, the Plan of Providence.” (emphasis Smith’s).

From Wealth of Nations:"…[Moral defects] deserve the most serious attention of government, in the same manner as it would deserve its most serious attention to prevent a leprosy or any other loathsome and offensive disease, though neither mortal nor dangerous, from spreading itself among them, though perhaps no other public good might result from such attention besides the prevention of so great a public evil."

This is from his little-known Lectures on Jurisprudence (for Smith was a professor of moral philosophy):

“Laws and government may be considered…in every case as a combination of the rich to oppress the poor, and preserve to themselves the inequality of the goods which would otherwise be soon destroyed by the attacks of the poor… The government and laws hinder the poor from ever acquiring the wealth by the violence which they would otherwise exert on the rich; they tell them they must either continue poor or acquire wealth in the same manner as they [the rich] have done.”

(BTW: Smith isn’t taking a proto-Marxist position here though. He’s basically setting up his anti-mercantilism.)

Here again, from Wealth of Nations, from the famous section on the Divison of Labor:

“In some cases the state of the society necessarily places the greater part of individuals in such situations as naturally form in them, without any attention of government, almost all the abilities and virtues which that state requires, or perhaps can admit of. In other cases the state of the society does not place the part of individuals in such situations, and some attention of government is necessary in order to prevent the almost entire corruption and degeneracy of the great body of the people.”

He basically argues that industrial labor is an instance of the latter case, necessitating government intervention to make certain that laborers were not entirely demoralized and dehumanized by their repetitive work.

Here is an excerpt from that argument:
“The man whose whole life is spent in performing a few simple operations, of which the effects are perhaps always the same, or very nearly the same, has no occasion to exert his understanding or to exercise his invention in finding out expedients for removing difficulties which never occur. He naturally loses, therefore, the habit of such exertion, and generally becomes as stupid and ignorant as it is possible for a human creature to become. The torpor of his mind renders him not only incapable of relishing or bearing a part in any rational conversation, but of conceiving any generous, noble, or tender sentiment, and consequently of forming any just judgment concerning many even of the ordinary duties of private life. Of the great and extensive interests of his country he is altogether incapable of judging, and unless very particular pains have been taken to render him otherwise, he is equally incapable of defending his country in war. The uniformity of his stationary life naturally corrupts the courage of his mind, and makes him regard with abhorrence the irregular, uncertain, and adventurous life of a soldier. It corrupts even the activity of his body, and renders him incapable of exerting his strength with vigour and perseverance in any other employment than that to which he has been bred. His dexterity at his own particular trade seems, in this manner, to be acquired at the expense of his intellectual, social, and martial virtues. But in every improved and civilised society this is the state into which the labouring poor, that is, the great body of the people, must necessarily fall, unless government takes some pains to prevent it. (emphasis mine).

Now back to Sam: “There are lots of anguished moments as we [Sam’s company] try and figure out how to afford to do some of these things, how we can stretch resources, how much money we’ll have to spend to implement them, etc. This is money that the company would rather not spend - we’d rather make stuff with less investment at high margins and make out like bandits. But we can’t, because the market FORCES us to do this in order to compete. So for the company to get ahead, we have to listen to what the market DICTATES to us. This is the invisible hand in action.”

This is certainly market forces in action. And you can choose to call market forces an invisible hand if you like. But the same market forces that compel your company to to stretch resources effectively have forced (or, if you prefer, tempted) many another company to cut back on crucial research and development, training or safety; to pollute the environment if no laws were in place to penalize pollution; to move offshore in order to avoid safe and humane labor standards, etc.

It is a poor and mistaken reading of Smith that equates any market effect with “the invisible hand” when, by that term, Smith was discussing innate “moral faculties” and the will of God. Sorry Sam, but if you insist on invoking Smith, it just might be time for you to put down Hayek and pick up Smith’s extraordinarily complex works.

Ah, MEBuckner, thanks loads for the magic of your not-so-invisble hand ;).

It would be far better to read economics as economics and not as a textual exercise. The meanings one gets tend to be rather more… informed by the science of it, not the wordplay. Adam Smith is of historical value, however ‘complex’ his musing were or are.

Of course Sam might try branching out on the informational issue to include the new behaviouralists whose work bring rather badly nuance to the somewhat too rarified theoretical frameworks to date. Good tools are being developed.

Collounsbury, you are being more than usually obfuscatory, if you don’t mind my saying so ;).

Let me read between the lines–at some risk, of course–and guess that you’re suggesting that scientific tools are being developed to elucidate the workings of market forces (which some will persist in calling the “invisible hand”). Well more power to them (the tools as well as the forces).

That said, economics is, even now, hardly as predictable a science as, say, chemistry. It still relies on all kinds of imperfect assumptions and, as a result, even the most brilliant and high-tech economists are often as incapable of predicting the object of their science as meteorologists are of theirs. At the same time, as some economists are less good at understanding the reductive effect of their assumptions than they are at crunching numbers, a little “textual exercise” might occasionally be in order: whether by journalists, philosophers, or, for that matter, the woman on the street.

All that is quite apart from the fact that people who extoll the virtue of markets–the great majority of whom are not economists–still find a special appeal in invoking Adam Smith on “the invisible hand.” No doubt Smith, whose classic work was written in 1776, offers the special aura of time. Smith offers market enthusiasts what Bourdieu–since I’ve invoked his special aura–would call “cultural capital”.

None of this, however, has much to do with this thread which began with a reflection on Marx and has detoured into a venue for the surprisingly unorthodox views of Adam Smith. So, yes, Adam Smith is indeed of historical value; and also of some value in querying the nature of the free-market rhetoric of today.

If all this strikes you as something less than a scientific discussion of markets, I suggest you start a thread that is likely to generate such discussion.

In the meantime, do be a good sport and let us devotees of the textual exercise work our poor wits in the absence of your, um, “good tools.” :wink:

Sorry for misreading the tone of your last message. I’ve been suffering through too many ‘debates’ with the likes of rjung, ElvisL1ves, and Collounsbury, and my skin is getting a little thin from all the personal attacks and sarcasm fired my way. And I did know that you were female, at least at one time. Sorry for the lapse.

And I realize that my description of the invisible hand is simplistic - I said so in my last message. I’m just used to debating this issue with people who haven’t read any of these works, and who don’t have a basic understanding of how the market shapes behaviour, and think that without government coercion businesses would just screw us all over all the time and pay workers pennies.

I’m no longer sure what it is we are debating here. I’m not really interested in a discussion of the derivation of the ‘invisible hand’ - I’m more interested in practical application to modern life. Perhaps we should move the debate in that direction now that we’ve established that we both know what we’re talking about, at least to a reasonable standard of debate.

Or maybe we’ve just run this thread out and that’s why we’re picking nits.

Mandelstam, I gotta say, this is the first time I’ve ever come across someone who understands that Adam Smith wasn’t making an unconditional defense of either capitalists or capitalism in The Wealth of Nations. Kudos.
Of course, now I’ll have to go off and read the rest of his stuff. Sheesh.

Oh don’t whinge on so much. I restrained myself when you posted that utter nonesense and claptrap about the EU could become a fascist organization. If you didn’t rely on such absurdist neocon sourcing.

Moderator’s Note: Take it to the Pit or make nice; either way, knock if off in here.

ME: sorry, I made the “whooshed” comment… didn’t think Sam would take it so personally.

The key point up for debate I’ve extracted from this thread is this:

It’s funny that Smith and Marx always seemed to be used as cartoonish parodies of themselves; Smith as the endless defender of absolute laissez faire, Marx as the tireless foe of capitalism and utter totalitarian. Neither is, of course, actually true: Smith proposed a definite role for the government beyond the simple “cops and soldiers” government of minarchists, and Marx in his own way was a great admirer of capitalism even as he prophesized its eventual downfall. Like most great thinkers, their ideas were far more nuanced than we often give them credit for. (Whether we agree with them or not).

That little “not usually economists” bit is all too often true. There’s a real difference between a real economist and a free market fundamentalist, just as there’s a difference between a Marxian political economist and the sort of Marxists you find wearing too much black in a coffee shop (or, for that matter, running a government). People want simple solutions, and economics is usually quite a bit more complex and nuanced (Just as in any other social or natural science).

Mandelstam:

Just another member of your rapidly growing fan-club checking in here.

At the risk of sounding incredibly geeky, I would be interested in hearing more on this. Demosthenesian and I were running circles around each other on this point in another thread recently. Oh, and that reminds me:

[hijack]

Hiya, Demos! I know I still owe you a response in that last thread regarding the difference between NEOCLASSICAL and NEOLIBERAL. It is as follows:

Oh. You mean there’s a difference?

Ahem.

Never mind.

[/hijack]

:smiley:

Egads! A Marxist owning stock in an energy company! Whoa, what a contradiction! :rolleyes: If I had made a conscious decision to buy that stock, Sua, you might actually have a point. As it is, those ten shares - definitely far less that .1% of the total stock in that company - were given to me as a christening gift back in 1969, long before I even had the necessary motor skills to successfully utter “Workers of the world unite” for the first time.

Unless I widely miss my guess, most corporations aren’t organized on a “one stockholder, one vote” principle. As I understand it, votes are weighted according to the amount of stock one holds in a company, and so my measly ten shares are far outweighed by those who own thousands of shares in NU.

No, they most definitely are not the means of production. They are an organizational form of the means of production. Take NU, for example. The means of production in this case are the power generators that generate energy and the substations and wires that distribute that energy to the consumers. I own none of that. What I did, or rather what was done in my name, was to give a small amount of money to NU to help them with their operating costs and help them turn a profit. Because that was done, I now have a right to receive a portion of profits generated as long as I hold that certificate. If I actually owned the means of production, I’d be on the board of directors making the decisions about how to spend the money that’s been invested in the company. The means of production are owned by those who actively administer the corporation, not those who simply invest in it.

Let me try throwing my 2¢ in here for this:

Labor, according to Marx, is actual product - pies, shoes, televisions, etc. Labor power is the ability to produce. What a worker does is not sell labor to a capitalist - ie he doesn’t come around with a gross of shoes/pies/TVs and sells them to the capitalist, but he sells his labor power - his ability to make a gross of shoes/pies/TVs over the course of a working day.

The value of labor power is obviously far less than the value of the labor, else the capitalist couldn’t make a profit off of production. For example, say the worker produces a gross of pies over 16 hours. The capitalist can sell those pies at $7.50 apiece in the Safeway, which nets him $1,080. If the worker only makes $7.50 an hour, he only gets $120 for those 16 hours of work. Ignoring all other costs of production for the sake of argument, the capitalist has made $960 in pure profit off the worker’s labor power.

This, essentially, is the labor theory of value in a nutshell.

Sam, thanks for accepting the olive brance. I have always valued you as an opponent :).

pantom, “kudos” from you in a thread with even indirect bearing on matters of the economy is praise indeed. I am honored <bows>.

ME Bucker, I promise to try to be nice; in that vein, Collounsbury, sorry if I seemed a bit “sarky” in my last.

Demos, thanks for making this debate more coherent.

I had actually hoped that someone might want to take up Marx’s analysis of the commodity form but I may not have done it any justice (not to mention all the typos in the original).

Mr. S., thanks very much. I will will do my best to explain Marx’s theory of value–but I should warn everyone that this isn’t my strongpoint and in fact I’ll be going back to some notes of mine in order to get it right.
pantom, if this is familiar terrain for you please go ahead and preempt me.

I won’t be getting to this for several hours, though, as it’s time for me to make like a wage earner and win my keep. :wink:

You’ll do better with Olentzero. I did read Das Kapital, but it was even longer ago than Sam Stone.
Also, thanks for that compliment on my compliment, but I’m not an economist by a long shot (one of my predictions actually came true once, for one thing). Don’t know where I might have given you that impression, but allow me to set you straight: at best, I’m a dilettante. This being the Straight Dope, I’m sure you could scare up about a hundred trained economists by just asking.

what if capitalism and communism are both obsolete?

adam smith disapproved of what he called “joint stock companies” what we now call corporations. in 1886 the US supreme court decided that a corporation was a person in a case involving santa clara county and some railroad. smith died in 1790 and marx in 1881, they didn’t know anything about it.

technology changed in the late 1800’s making corporations necessary. what John D. Rockefeller did to the oil industry reads like something out of a textbook written by Karl Marx. it is impossible to predict how the social-psychology of economic warfare will interact with technology. the strategies and tactics of the players will change just as they do in military warfare due to technology.

what about psychological manipulation via television commercials. Keynes was wondering what people would do with all their free time in th future. he died in 1946 and probably never saw a television commercial. shop 'til you drop malls were outside of his experience.

a recent issue of THE ECONOMIST had a section on television. it said only 4% of the population used VCRs to skip commercials because VCRs were so hard to use. (and we want to sell these people multitasking computers. LOL!) the new devices using hard disks to store video may be a threat to advertisers. the techno-economic warfare strategies will keep changing.

Dal Timgar
Dal Timgar