Who's excited about The Walking Dead on AMC?

The Walking Dead, based on a comic book of the same name, which I’m told is pretty good, but I have no idea.

The zombie thing is pretty played out, so I normally wouldn’t be so excited, but AMC’s track record (haven’t watched Rubicon yet - any good?) makes me think this is going to be something good. The people involved seem to have a good track record with other stuff.

I suppose that as a series, with more time than a movie, they could spend a lot more time on the general post apocalyptic situation that exists in addition to the zombies - fighting for resources, social impact of the collapse of society, etc. And I love post-apocalyptic fiction.

I’m trying to remain relatively unspoiled so I haven’t read much about the series, but I’m excited for the premier on Halloween.

I’ve been waiting a long time for to see a zombie apocalypse play out over a miniseries or TV series. Everything I’ve heard about this show has made me want to see it more. :slight_smile:

I read the first three or four volumes of the trades, and skimmed several others in the bookstore. Basically, the series breaks down like this: (Non-specific spoilers follow)

[spoiler]1) A group of survivors get together and attempt to find a safe place.

1. They find somewhere defensible and try to rebuild their lives.

2. Then, either:

a) one or more of the survivors reveals themselves to be abominably evil, or

b) one or more of the survivors gives into the apocalyptic nihilism and kills themself, or

c) both a and b

1. Dealing with the fallout of 3 causes a chink in their defenses, allowing the zombie hordes to get in and massacre almost everyone.

2. The survivors escape into the wilderness. Return to 1 and repeat.[/spoiler]

That said, it’s a very good series. Robert Kirkman is an excellent writer. The series doesn’t really add anything new to the zombie apocalypse concept, but the human characters are compelling enough that it doesn’t really matter. I gave up on the series not because of a lack of originality in the premise or the execution (both of which are valid criticisms of the book), but because it’s just such a never ending shitstorm of grisly tragedy for the main character, I couldn’t take it any more. If the show remains even marginally true to the comics, it should turn out great. But I don’t think I’m going to watch it.

Looking forward to it, but I’m not expecting it to last. Not enough stuff going 'splody to maintain the average viewer’s attention.

As a zombiephile, I got on the long library waiting list to get the novels. I lost interest pretty quickly as I feel like it is primarily a soap opera, with the zompocalypse used merely as a background to force people into extreme situations and create opportunities for melodrama. Don’t get me wrong, I like some human interest in my zombie stories, but there’s a little too little zombie action and a little too much angst for me. I decided to stop reading when, within the first 1.25 books,There’s an adulterous one-night stand, followed within a few weeks by reunion sex with husband, followed by a pregnancy. Who is the father? Dah, dah DAH!It seemed like something desperate writers on *Dallas *would have done when things got too boring, not something you use out of the gate in a zombie story.

As far as new zombie material goes, I’m intrigued by Dead Set, which is showing next week on IFC. It’s a British import, with the zombie apocalypse intruding on the live broadcast of a “Big Brother” like TV show, where the cast is basically locked in the building isolated from what’s going on outside. Until the zombies make their way in … At least the setting is something new and interesting in the zombie genre.

Well, I’m psyched about the poster for the series. That’s the Atlanta skyline, viewed from Freedom Parkway. I ride that stretch of road nearly every day. And since the series is filmed here, I look forward to seeing images of my city under siege by the undead.

(This is actually the second time Atlanta has been besieged by movie zombies. Much of Zombieland was also filmed in the area.)

I apologize if someone already linked to this. These are … for lack of a better term … fanmade credits for the new Walking Dead TV show. Actually, they are made by a very talented animator. Anyways, they are incredible. Presented for your enjoyment.

And I am a big fan of the books and really excited about the show (although I am totally over the whole zombie craze).

I personally have grown tired of the whole “Zombie Apocalypse” genre. The recent Zombieland was somewhat interesting because it put a comic spin on them, but really the fact that most post-apocalyptic fiction (PAF) in general and zombie stories in particular follow a well-worn pattern means the best we can hope for is variations on a theme:

In my opinion PAF has led to mostly lazy drama because the apocalypse/zombies are a crutch in place of the real setup work that is key to a good, organic story.
The apocalypse acts as a complete game-changer such that characters who would be ordinary in everyday life (cop, nurse, etc.) immediately take on heroic proportions, while characters who would simply be rude/annoying in everyday life become colossal villains in the brutal new world. Reducing the population by orders of magnitude ups the ante on every plot development; the fate of humanity hangs in the balance on almost every decision. Zombies are particularly effective vectors because are fairly easily to kill individually–making for some spectacular action/slaughter sequences–but their vast numbers mean they can never be wiped out completely. Eventually, even the toughest fighting group will yield in the face of overwhelming odds and fall into sieges, which provide simple opportunities for character interaction (In what other genre is it easier to get two characters who hate each other, come from different social classes, or hold pivotal bits of information to spend extended time talking to each other?). And the zombie rules are so merciless that characters are easily confronted with horrible yet superficially dramatic choices (In what other genre, for example, would it be so easily to force a character to kill his best friend, or a child/infant?)

Now, don’t get me wrong, there are ways to make these dramatic choices interesting in PAF. My problem is that most recent variety lazily pushes the zombie button to quickly create a dramatic scene that better fiction would take some time to set up. Miller’s synopsis of TWD graphic novel could be applied to most zombie-stories produced in the latest wave (exceptions being the aforementioned Zombieland and Shaun of the Dead–though these to some extent trade on the predictability of zombie films–and the excellent World War Z).

I could give or take zombies but the comic is much more about survival with zombies just filling in a blank. I am looking forward to the show.

I am very much looking forward to it. Haven’t read the comic series, but I am currently on a huge post-apocalyptic kick in my reading choices, with or without zombies. I’m having a bunch of people over to watch the premiere with me.

I hate zombie stuff. The trailer looks suspiciously like 28 Days Later, which was one of the better zombie movies, so I’ll give it a try, especially since it’s AMC.

There’s a fairly significant homage to 28 Days Later in the first issue that Kirkman acknowledges. I suspect quite a few people will complain that it’s too much of a copy for their tastes. It diverts fairly significantly from that point on. (The fact that it’s mostly a tale of nomadic zombie survival is itself extremely original.)

To be fair, Slept through the Apocalypse is used before 28 Days Later; also it seems from that link that Kirkman coincidentally wrote it before the release of the movie, but the comic came out after.

The glacially slow (but good) Rubicon made it through a season, so I can’t see this being cancelled sooner than that. If this was on any other channel I wouldn’t bother, but AMC has such a good track record for original programming I’ll give it a try.

Speaking of slow, I don’t know if they’ll do it but it would be fascinating if they devoted an entire season to the outbreak of the zombie plague and the slow, uneven collapse of civilization. Show a scenerio in which people don’t go into post-apocalyptic mode almost overnight; it takes months, maybe a year or more, before the survivors are completely on their own.

Would be interesting Lumpy, but it wouldn’t really work with this particular story. Not wanting to spoil it, but have you read any Walking Dead?

That’s fine with me. I thought 28 Days Later started out well, then went downhill in the 2nd half.

It’s a great show! And the show isn’t just Big Brother-like, it IS on the set of Big Brother UK, with Davina… well, I won’t give it away. But it manages to be both funny and, at least to me, very scary.

I’m not yet convinced by some of the casting choices, but I’m really looking forward to *The Walking Dead *series, and have read everything up until now (apparently they actually have a finishing point in mind, for the graphic novel series).

I finally broke down and watched the pilot online. :o In my defence I last almost 3 whole days after I found about the leak and am a big enough zombie fan that I’ll end up buying the Bluray release.

The pilot BTW was fucking awesome! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D