Who's got a good recipe for Borscht?

I’ve got a hankerin’ for Borscht, and have never made it before. Google brings up 10+ pages of recipes when I do a search. I want a good recipe. C’mon, I know someone out there has one. Cough it up.

Here’s one from Eva Luna.

There are many varieties of borscht - do want Russian, Ukrainian, Hungarian or Polish borsct?

Russian & Ukrainian are thinner soups with chunks of veggies where you add a dolup of sour cream at the end.

Hungarian & Polish are blended and have sour cream integrated into the soup.

I cook the Hungarian and Polish Styles.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb bacon
1 medium onion
2 carrots
2 celery sticks
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 can of stewing tomatoes
1 cup sour cream
6 to 8 medium sized beets

fresh dill
salt
pepper

Scrub the beets and remove the tops.
Boil the beets with barely enough water to cover for about 40 minutes.
Reserve the liquid to add to your stock.
Let the beets cool, then peel and chop the beets into small pieces.
Saute bacon or some other kind of salted pork,
Add finely chopped onions, celery, and carrots to saute
When onions have sweated add the reserved beet juice, can of tomatoes, beets and vinegar, and salt & pepper to taste.
Let the soup simmer for about 30 to 60 minutes so that the flavours mingle.

Use your hand blender, food processor or blender to puree the soup and then strain the chunks out (I use a regular sized collandar instead of a sieve because I like to leave some of the smaller chunks in).

Adjust the salt, pepper and vinager at this time.

Add sour cream and mix over low heat - do not let the soup boil or the sour cream will curdle.

Garnish with fresh dill.

This borscht can be served hot or cold.

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. :dubious:

Gotta agree with William V.. Having been forced to eat borscht at too many family functions, I can’t conceive of “good” borscht. It sounds like something only a masochist could love.

I would actually say most Polish borscht (barszcz) does not contain sour cream. It is, of course, optional but I would say that 90% of the time in Polish restaurants in Chicago or Krakow, I get a soup that looks like this.
It is traditionally served with meat or mushroom tortellini (barszcz z uszkami) or with meat- or kraut- or mushroom-filled croquettes (barszcz z krokietem).

Here’s a good basic recipe for Polish barszcz. The only thing I would add is that I often make it on a beef broth, and instead of using lemons or vinegar, I get the required tartness by using a mix of fresh and pickled beets, including the pickled beet juice.

This borscht is especially good on winter days, drunk straight out of a big mug with lots of extra pepper. Mmmm…

Aw… You’re no fun! Borscht is one of the loveliest foodstuffs in the world.

When you’re feeling particularly adventurous, you should try making some white borscht/zurek. This is a sour soup that not too many people outside of Poland know about. You basically take some oats and warm water, put it in a jar and top it off with a slice of rye bread. In about 3-5 days, it should sour pretty well. You add this sour mix to some smoked ham stock, add some white Polish sausage, marjoram, hardboiled eggs, potatoes, and sour cream…mmm, mmm, good.

Ingredients:

1/2 of me
1 cup of t