Who's Your Favorite Character/God from Mythology?

I would say almost the same thing, I’ve been looking for good pictures of Posiden for years for a tattoo, but haven’t been able to find one yet. I also hate the way Hercules sounds.

Yeah, but he had help from Athena and Hermes, and he got a Magic Helmet of Invisibility and Magic Flying Sandals and a Magic Bag (kibisis) and a Sword (harpe) and a Reflecting Shield, then he came upon Medusa in her sleep and killed her. Some hero.
To give him his due, he’s often depicted in art slaying a wide-awake Gorgon, and I’ve argued that he has so much overkill in the weapons department because they probably come from variant versions of the story that got concatenated. And he was a righteous dude, willing to rescue a naked maiden chained to a rock as a sacrifice.

I like Anansi too (and Neil Gaiman), even though I’m terrified of spiders. Mythological ones are okay, I guess. :slight_smile:

See the posts about why Tolkien’s work on Middle-Earth isn’t mythology.

Here’s a whole list of Poseidon pix: http://web.uvic.ca/grs/bowman/myth/gods/poseidon_i.html

My favorite, by far, is the Poseidon of Cape Artemision. Some say he’s actually Zeus, tossing a thunderbolt. Whatever, he’s a fine figure of a God.

Dagda is probably a hoot to party with, but Lugh Long-arm is near the top of my list as well. Cernunnos is absolutely fascinating, IMHO, and is my #1 fav, partially because so little is known for sure about him. Lord of the Hunt, Lord of the Animals, The Hunter and the Hunted, Leader of the Wild Hunt, and shows some resemblance to The Sorcerer (cave painting in France).

I see that wiki agrees with a lot of what I just wrote, but I’m not going to change it just because of that. I’m going to pretend wiki is occasionally right.

Can you guess?

Buddha. You gotta love a god whose traditional icon is him raising the roof. “Parrrrr-tee!

Persephone.

Point of order–No Buddha (there is more than one) is a God.

What? No votes for Bacchus (or Dionysus) the God of Wine and Spirits? :cool:

The young Ne Zha. Excessive and brutal, yeah, but it wasn’t 100% his fault. And besides, the dragons were jerks. :stuck_out_tongue:

A hearty double on Son Wukong, the original Monkey King. (But before he got stuck under a rock for 500 years.)

The early version of Zhuge Liang, where he got to think circles around everybody else and have so much fun doing it. Eventually, of course, the writer couldn’t contradict history, so the character wasn’t as much fun. (Yes, I do consider the Romance of the Three Kingdoms mythology. It was inspired by many folk tales already circulating about the Three Kingdoms era.)

“That’s him. That’s my boss. He’s waving at you.”
Bonus points for the source of that.

I used to really like Artemis, but as I read more of her stories, she came off really bitchy (turning Actaeon into a stag to be killed by his own hounds just because he happened to stumble across her bathing). I also liked Demeter.

There’s the divine trio: Buddha, Jesus, and SpongeBob SquarePants.

If in doubt try www.godchecker.com Some amusing comments, such as for one of the most visually interesting deities:

Bishamon, the Good Fortune God of War, who is:

is my favourite. A good news Ares.

Depends on who you talk to. Hindus consider Siddhartha Gautama to be an incarnation of Vishnu.

My personal favorite is Sir Palomides the Saracen. The patron saint of second-stringers. Anywhere but Camelot, he would have been the top of the heap. At Camelot, he was a perpetual sidekick.

Santa Claus. He is worshipped to this day.
Merlin.
Finn McCool.

Nemesis has always been one of my favorites.

:: coughcough :: :rolleyes:

although i’ve been known to indulge in other alter-egos, as it were… notably Sekhmet. and lately i’ve taken quite a fancy to Euryale. and no, not the mother of Orion one.

but Isis would also be on my “don’t miss” list.

and certainly can’t forget Kwan Yin.