Who's Your Favorite Character/God from Mythology?

I’m quite partial to Euryale and Stheno, myself, too. Cassandra, as well.

I liked Apollo when I was younger, until I read about his treatment of Marsyas.

Currently, I think Glaucus – the herb-eatin’ sea god – is my favorite, obscure little myth.

Though I’ve been reading up on Horus-Seth myth cycles, lately, and they’re quite interesting. But I fear there’s an Apollo-flaying-Marsyas, or Loki-raping-Sif type of myth lurking for Seth that’ll probably lower his appeal.

This made me :frowning: .

A valid point. However, Tolkien wrote as if he was creating a myth for the people of England; something he felt was lacking. So while it was never actively held as a myth/religion, it *could’ve * been. So the judges rule: yes, it’s a myth.

Not a god, but I always liked and felt sorry for the Minotaur. He just got screwed by fate, really.

Yax Balam. He is one of the hero twins from the Mayan creation myth, the Popol Vuh.

Oh, the main man himself, Odin/Woden/Wotan

Absolute and utter nonsense. Myths don’t work that way. Besides, if you claim you could have been a lawyer, are you going to get judges to say you’re a lawyer? No.

I’m fond of Hern the Hunter, minor character that he is, he was known to hang aroung Windsor Great Park which is a place I liked well. Sir Tristran is another favourite, not as showy or show-off and Arthur or Lancelot but as great a person.

:rolleyes:

Er, no. At no point Tolkien ever purport that the stories in his fiction were factually true, though he may have thought LOTR represented a valid way of looking at faith and the world. He never tried to initiate a cult of the Valar. He never suggested that anyone actually celebrate 22 September as Frodo’s birthday, or that the new year begin at the vernal equinox. Tolkien wrote as if he were creating a mythology for England: that is, if England were to have a mythic cycle similar to the Norse one, he speculated that it might be something similar to his story. But it’s no more a myth than Babylon 5 or Star Wars: it’s just better written.

Well, his mom got screwed by a magic bull, so clearly divine screwings ran in the family. 'Sides, if you’re going to feel sorry for someone in that story, how about the seven youths and seven maidens sent each year to be the Minotaurs lunch? Or Ariadne?

Another one for Prometheus. He got dicked over trying help us ignorant humans, y’know?

I must not have expressed myself very well, because I agree with everything you say.

Either my writing or your reading comprehension needs work, because my point is that the Silmarillion-Hobbit-LOTR trilogy is NOT A MYTH.

He created humanity in the first place.

Add another vote for Prometheus. He is also the protagonist of one of my favorite poems. Unfortunately I’m not sure if the translation works equally well.

[sub](no endorsement of the politics of that site intended)[/sub]

Well, he was born the way he was, no real choice. I don’t know that he was a cannibal, technically, but he was how he was. Might as well feel sorry for a mouse that a cat kills. Sure, it’s a shame, but that’s the way of the cat.

Ariadne I do feel sorry for, but she’s just as interesting as a big bull-man. :slight_smile:

For that matter, Pasiphae – the mother of the Minotaur – had no real choice in lusting after Poseidon’s bull, either. She was being punished for what her husband had done in cheating Poseidon of his due sacrifices. So, Minos flips Poseidon the bird, and Pasiphae gets a hankering for bull meat. And then gets to give birth to her monsterous son. Who’s then locked up in the labyrinth and apparently only fed on human flesh.

Nowadays, she’d have a Lifetime Original Movie, and would probably be played by Judith Light or Mercedes Ruhl.

Perhaps it’s being Sagittarius but more likely those godawful “Hercules! Winner of Ancient Glory!” cartoons when I was a kid, but I love centaurs. I’ll say Chiron, who was more noble than all the other centaurs (not saying a lot, and he did have a separate creation after all) and the most revered intellect of his age.

Of course it’s a statue of Thoth who graces my desk, but that’s because he’s the creator of writing and (at times) the god of learning, reason and science (other times that was reattributed, but you can’t work at any organization for 2000 years and not expect some occasional structural changes).

And of course as a librarian I have to name Serapis, formerly a bull avatar of Osiris (Osara-apis) but later just another bearded Zeus like old man with improbably musculature after Ptolemy dusted him off and made him state god of Ptolemaic Egypt. It was to him that the temple complex of the Muses (or the [Dr. Evil ditto gesture]“Museum”) was erected and to whom the Library of Alexandria was sacred.