Whose success (or at least fame) do you simply not understand?

Vince Vaughn.
He has no range, just a terrible, annoying voice, with which he rambles on and on, saying nothing interesting.

I too am puzzled by the ‘reality-TV celebrities’.

Still here’s an explanation of Jersey Shore (from the NZ blog dimpost)…

You see - it’s actually an extended meditation on the cycle of samsara.

I have to think that Rob Schneider’s movies have made some money, right? I mean, they can’t be expensive to make and at least one had a sequel.

Deuce Bigalow, as one point of reference, apparently made $65 million on a $17 million budget. That will make you some friends, eh?

Vince Vaughan has rather obvious reasons for his celebrity - he has made some hugely successful movies.

I’ve never seen it, and I’ve seen a lot of movies.

It would have to be fucking brilliant to compensate for decades of bitter, vile unfunny from that evil harpy.

Heatherton was a singer and dancer. I don’t remember her being particularly talented at either, and I suspect her fame was from hanging around with the Rat Pack. Some are born great, some have greatness thrust into them.

But Charo is genuinely talented. She was a protege of Andrés Segovia, and - according to this link which I will be adding to her Wikipedia page shortly - was voted “Best Flamenco Guitarist” two years in a row by Guitar magazine.

Related thread from just 2 days ago

Not exactly. The other thread was about celebrities being forced upon us. I loath Joan Rivers, but she is usually easy to avoid. But even serious news programs, prior to the Japan earthquake/tsunami/meltdown/catastrophe, had a huge amount of Charlie Sheen. I’ve never watched Two and a Half Men but he is, or was, a competent comedic actor. His earthquake/tsunami/meltdown/catastrophe was 24/7 news for no credible reason.

I don’t get the Kardashians either. With the others mentioned (Lindsay, Paris, Britney), you could trace their rise to fame. Even Paris, who was at least nominally famous before the sex tape, came from a famous family.

The first time I recalled hearing about any Kardashian was OJ’s lawyer. Then I forgot about him for like 10 years, as did the rest of America. Then I saw Kim’s sex tape. Then suddenly they got a show, the mom married Bruce Jenner, and they were regulars on E! TV. I don’t get how an unknown who’s dad once worked on a famous case over a decade ago somehow exploded in popularity after one sex tape. Is Kim really that hot? Am I just not seeing it? (I think she’s hot, but not THAT hot)

That guy who did redneck jokes, now hosting “are you smarter than a 5th grader.”

“Comedy” is supposed to be when you are on stage telling jokes that you made up and practiced to perfect the timing, not a list of real-life facts. How funny would it be if I just talked about mosquitoes for an hour?

“You know how you know you’re a mosquito? You drink blood.”
“You know how you know you’re a mosquito? You got 4 wings. Not 3, 4.”

I agree. But not nearly enough. He’s still a trillion trillion trillion chuckles in deficit. He had that one humorous bit and after that he turned into the antimatter of humor. Humor and he cannot coexist in the same scene.

How the FUCK did an obese, divorced, serial adulterer like Dr. Phil become a respected authority on marriage, relationships, healthy lifestyles, etc.???

I would like to see him exposed for the smug, posing, attention whore that he and his entire family are, but of course that wouldn’t matter to the braindead housewives and elderly shut-in’s who make up his core audience.

I would give anything to see him caught with a 19 year-old Ugandan Ladyboi, & a briefcase full of pure, uncut Afghani Devil-Shoogar at the Spokane airport Radisson.

Ashton Kutcher. He’s not even a little bit funny, and not only do I not find him good-looking, I think he’s actually hard to look at. He was ok as a side character on the 70’s Show, but beyond that he has done nothing at all of value. He’s just a doofy mouthbreathing moron. I don’t get it.

Oprah.

Who at the last judgment will be shown standing at the left hand of Satan.

More specifically, Dr. Phil was her jury consultant on the 1st amendment trial Oprah had down in Texas, when she was sued by ranchers for disparaging cattle during a show on Mad Cow.

Wait. Dr. Phil is obese? You can’t be serious. Series adulterer? Where did that come from?

He has got to be at least 50 pounds overweight, and his ex-wife has claimed that he was repeatedly unfaithful during their marriage, including with his current wife Robin.

He has also been sued for sexual harrasment in Texas by a former employee of his—He can’t get a license to practice in Texas, because of the unresolved charges but apparently he still has a valid permit to be a smug asshole and faux Moral Authority to the naive and gullible.

There is a damn good reason that Robin reportedly will absolutely not let Phil out of her sight; she cheated WITH him and she knows full well that he would cheat on HER at first pungent whiff of some willing strange.

And the sequel you mentioned grossed – what $45 million on a $22 million budget? Nowhere near as good as the $84 million grossed from a $22 million outlay for THE ANIMAL, but not too shabby compared to THE HOT CHICK grossing $54 million on a $34 million budget.

Re: Jeff Foxworthy - He became famous for the “You might be a redneck if…” schtick, but he’s actually a decent comedian. It’s just that the fits-on-a-bumper sticker, can-be-forwarded-in-an-email observations are what people remember. You can’t really say something like “comedy is supposed to be made up blah blah blah” when that’s simply not the case. A lot of comedy is based in real life. At the time he made it big with the redneck jokes, observational humor was the hot thing. He just decided to turn it on its ear, and instead of going with “What’s the deal with airline food?”, he went with the redneck thing. Might not be your cup of tea, but at least understandable, and he did do something to become famous.
To keep with the thread, I’d say a comedian I don’t get being famous, it would be Dane Cook. No original material, the material he stole wasn’t really even funny. All he had going for him was looks, especially in a career where most of the competition is a bit odd looking.

Rob Schneider is also one I don’t get the hate for. He’s not the greatest actor and he can grate on you, but he does deliver the goods. Honestly, I couldn’t stand him until I saw him in The Benchwarmers, then I realized, “Okay, so that’s how he’s made it. He has talent, he just hasn’t been asked to use it.”

Most reality show stars I don’t get their success, since it seems like they were chosen simply for being the dregs of humanity. The ones I absolutely don’t get are Spencer Pratt (what a fitting last name) and Heidi Montague (where’s a murderous Capulet when you need one?).

Charlie Sheen

Beat to it. Charo plays a mean guitar. I mean, I hadn’t seen or heard about her since the '70s, then last year some time got linked to a youtube of her playing guitar - holy fucking shit! (Okay, I’m not a guitarist, and not up on Flamenco guitar, but it impressed me.)

She had a bit of name recognition from Robert Kardashian and the OJ trial, and she had family money. Which is also how Paris got her start - name and money.

Not always. Jeff Foxworthy’s “You might be a redneck” schtick was observational humor. Observational humor is pointing out things that everyone knows but don’t realize, in such a way to emphasize the humor element. It’s similar to a lot of Seinfeld - hell, a lot of standup is based on it. Anything that starts with “Did you ever notice that…” is observational humor. “Did you ever notice that we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?” is observational humor about language. It’s just Foxworthy focused on one theme. He got one bit of his that popped and became popular for a while, because of it’s timeliness, the culture was ripe for it, the bumpersticker sound bite nature, etc. He just had the culmination of circumstances and that gig became a pop culture sensation, so he rode it for what it was worth. But that wasn’t his only material, and he’s a funny guy.

My big one was Sally Struthers. Other than All In The Family, the only thing I know she’s done is hawk technical school (can’t remember which one).

She Who Must Not Be Mocked brought him upon us. It is best not to ask why.