Whose the most famous person you know well enough to casually email?

I guess it would have to be Joe Servello, artist and illustrator. He’s my cousin once removed.

I guess Fantasy author Trudi Canavan is about the most famous of my friends, which isn’t especially famous at all.

Though last month I got a personal email from Bruce Spence, out of the blue and for rather an odd reason.

A lot of my friends have met tons of well known people, some of whom have become good friends to them over the years, but that is at least one degree of separation from me.

David Drake

YA fantasy author Tamora Pierce.

The writer Del Shores (most famous for Sordid Lives) is a Facebook friend and we’ve exchanged emails and commented on each other’s posts a few times.

I used to exchange emails years ago with Alison Arngrim (Nellie from Little House) who is a hellacool broad, but I’ve changed email addresses several times since then and we fell out of touch.

While not an exchange exactly, the writer Lee Smith (Fair and Tender Ladies, Oral History) answers her own emails to her official web page as did Fannie Flagg when she had a web page (now it’s just publisher’s sites). I’ve gotten personal emails from Andrew Sullivan (the formerly Republican/still gay pundit) and others well known in gay rights causes, some of them complimenting comments I’d left or editorials I’d published.

And Anderson Cooper once said my name on air when I won 360, but that probably doesn’t count since he called me “Jon in an undisclosed location”.

Jonathan Coulton and I worked together as baristas many years ago. I was backstage at a show 2 weeks ago.
Massachusetts Lt Gov Tim Murray is a good friend from college that I text msg occasionally.
Another college friend that o occasionally see is Dave Hill, he’s had a bit of success as a comedian.

Probably Joe Vitale (drummer for Crosby, Stills and Nash, and has played with Joe Walsh, Dan Fogelberg, the Eagles, CSNY (of course), and others). I am very good friends with his son (Joe Jr.) who I’ve known since I was 10. He was in my wedding. Of course, I’ve spent tons of time at his house and know his parents quite well. I’m a drummer as well, and Joe Sr. used to help out with the band in high school as well from time to time. He wouldn’t bat an eye if I emailed him, though he’d probably ask why I didn’t just call the house. Other than that, I don’t really know anyone even pseudo famous. I was in the Army with and knew quite well the sister of Janel Parrish of Bratz fame, but I never actually met Janel, so she’d be confused if I contacted her, though I still stay in touch with her sister. That’s the extent of my fame proximity.

A certain someone whose New Year’s Resolution last year was to see the year end with a certain detestable law in place since Clinton overruled, and in the end the President called late last year to have said person present when he signed the law away.

I thought I read where she and Sara Gilbert (Laura Ingalls) were best friends in real life, even though they did a pretty convincing job (especially for child actors) of hating each other’s guts on Little House On The Prairie.

For some reason I always thought that was cool…

Lenore Skenazy, author of Free Range Kids. She and I write regularly.

Melissa Gilbert. Sara Gilbert is her sister, and played Darlene, the younger daughter on Rosanne (among other things).

nm

Ryan Macklin (from the Internet).

AKA

Ryan Fucking Macklin.

Gaming podcaster, and an part of the Dresden Files RPG team. Plus game designer. He’s the man, basically. Probably totally unknown outside of the indy gaming field, though not forever.

Though, to be honest, I’m barely a gamer, and our friendship isn’t based on gaming. I’ve known him for years. A great guy, and totally got me hooked on Gin and Tonics. The Bastard.

:smiley:

(Hey Ryan, in case you google yourself and get this. lol)

Damn, I KNEW that didn’t look right!!!

(In my defense, I have probably not watched an episode of “Little House” for 30+ years, and even back then I only watched if my older sisters forced me…)

That said, within the past year or two I saw Melissa Gilbert on some random infomercial on at 3am, and I was blown away at how really, REALLY hot she is now that she is all grown up!!!

I knew a couple high-powered gamers myself but not enough to casually email. They’d recognize me, though.

I also know an Oscar nominee. I don’t even remember if she won (it was for a non-televised event which is why I didn’t pay attention.)

A few composers of Disney theme park music.

A couple of well-known Disney Imagineers who work in the theme parks division.

The Hockey player? I met him once and traded a couple e-mails with one of his daughters when they were setting up the charitable foundation for his wife and youngest daughter.

I ordered a DVD from John “the front fell off” Clarke’s website the other day and the webmaster asked me if I’d like it autographed. I said no, but to tell John he’s a genius.

I know people who are very close to the actor Billy Campbell; he was in The Rocketeer and lots of television shows over the years. I’ve never met him, but everybody who has says he’s a great guy. I could maybe get his address if I had a really good reason to.

That’s not terribly famous, is it?

Pete Abrams, webcomic author of Sluggy Freelance. I’m sort of an employee but I work for free and occasional swag. I admin his forums.

Jean Cochran (NPR) is my sister’s neighbor and a friend of the family. I’m likelier to contact her through Facebook, though.

I corresponded regularly with Steve Gerber (comic book writer, famous for Howard the Duck back in his glory days) for several years, more through his various message boards but occasionally via e-mail. He mocked me mercilessly for an unfortunate incident between me and an emu.

I once sent Tom Snyder an e-mail (I sent it to NBC and asked them to relay it to him) and he answered it on the air. Kind of a funny story, but it involves revealing my real name here, which I’d rather not do.

Krokodil is just a screen name? That’s kind of disappointing.