Why am I awake?

It’s four AM here.

I’m awake. I’m downstairs watching DVDs because my husband is trying to sleep upstairs (although I think he’s up right now for some reason - I told him to go back to sleep when I got up). I fell asleep around 10:30 last night with a migraine, and around 2 AM, I woke up with a start and haven’t been able to fall back asleep.

I never have a problem staying asleep. Falling asleep, yes, but usually, once I’m out, I’m out. I can’t freakin’ believe I’m awake.

At least the cats are enjoying having me up with them at this odd hour.

This is annoying.

E.

Luckily it’s the weekend, could be worse. For the past few years I haven’t been able to sleep more than a couple hours at a time, fortunately I’m single and retired so it’s not such a big deal.

Yeah, at least if I fall back asleep, I can sleep in a little. We have a bunch of errands to run tomorrow, though, and we needed to do some work on the house.

Plus, the construction company building a new house two doors down has been starting work at 8 freakin’ AM in the morning on Saturdays and Sundays, so that tends to wake me up at 8 or 9 on the weekends lately.

Oh, well. I’m catching up on a few DVDs.

E.

Hey there, I’m in much the same situation… my sleep patterns have gotten fucked recently. And I can almost never get back to sleep once I wake up.

As it is I went for a walk earlier tonight and then got home and decided to take a quick nap. That was around 7:30 pm. When I woke up, it was 1:30 am. Weird shit. It goes without saying that I lay down in bed and tried to get back to sleep, but that didn’t work.

I can also, however, mention the fact that Bonzai the cat is very happy that I am up in order to give him pets. I am not quite so happy.

They say warm milk will help, but I can’t say I’ve ever tried it. I usually resort to boubon, but that’s not so good either.

That sounds familiar - I’m ready for bed at 8:30, but I just woke up at 2 for no reason. Odd for the girl who can usually sleep 12 hours at a stretch if she’s left without an alarm.

Both of the cats have been sitting near me staring at me. I know they’re trying to figure out why the hell I’m awake.

A.R. Cane, I’ve resorted to a dose of Thera-Flu. With luck, I’ll catch a couple more hours before we have to go out and run errands. Alcohol just makes me giggle lately, not sleep.

E.

I just have to insert that I loved the typo on the word bourbon…now that’s classic.
Personally I have no sleep patterns which drives any woman who has ever tried to domesticate me NUTS.
I get drowsy, I nap.
I wake up at 3 a.m., I go find something to do.
I get drowsy again later, I nap.
-ad infinitum-

Welcome to my world!

Three, four and five o’clock in the morning are marvellous times. Usually rubbish on the TV, but even here in a normally very busy part of London it’s uneerily quiet. You get the odd emergency vehicle unnecessarily blaring its siren along the Uxbridge Road (which boasts a triple-whammy of Police station, Fire station and Hospital with A&E [US=“Emergency Room”]) and the house shakes a bit when the odd freight train goes by on the Great Western Main Line. But otherwise, silence.

In recent weeks, I have taken to doing the (London) Times cryptic crossword at that time of the day and have been actually completing it more often and quicker than I would during more sane daylight.

I actually asked the doctor a few weeks ago if he’d give me something. He declined, saying that he considered them too addictive. But he suggested I try an over-the-counter herbal job instead. Having tried them before and found them useless, I actually bought something called “Sleep-Aid” which turned out to contain 50 mg of Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride - an antihistamine. Bugger: they don’t usually have any effect on me. I duly took one (as directed) 20 minutes before retiring but it seemed I actually slept worse than usual. I then decided, daringly, to exceed the stated dose: I took two(!) going to bed on Sunday the 16th. How long did I sleep for? An hour and a half.

I give up. Maybe I’ll try four tonight…

CynicalGabe had the same problem…
Is there a hidden meaning I just can’t see?
Something to ponder.