Why Are "Charter Schools" So Popular?

After reading the replies to the OP, I think one of the advantages of Charter schools is the variety. Different places are trying all sorts of different things. Some states allow cherry picking, some don’t. Some Charters take dropouts, some take gifted and talented. So all of the responses to the OP seem correct.

That said, I live in Louisiana, and here Charters and Vouchers have been taken to such an extreme that they truly are killing the public school systems. What happens when significant portions of the state do not have the ability to educate their young people will be a revelation that won’t be long in coming.

Yes. I have never before heard of a charter school like yours, Johhny Bravo. Is your school supported financially entirely by taxes?

Almost entirely. We’re operated by a not-for-profit organization that runs charter schools in four or five states. I believe there might be some donations and such at the corporate level, but down in the trenches where I work our funding is done with grants and regular school funding.

Yes.

To answer the OP: “Charter schools” are popular because the term still carries a kind of no-questions-asked aura of the magic wand–the wondrous cure that will lead to effortless universal education.

Truly educating everyone–no matter what their background–was never meant to be easy or cheap, though more and more people seem to expect it to be that way. Charter schools cannot magically evade the difficulties of doing this any more than other schools.

Charter schools, on average perform worse than the public schools that feed them.

And there is little reason to think those numbers will improve significantly given that charters typically pay teachers less, hire less experienced teachers, are profit-seeking operations, and cause significant negative externalities.

As for why people like them, I think it’s mostly because people incorrectly assume the market will always ensure better outcomes than government, and because the poor, often powerless people, in the places where charters usually exist, feel empowered by the freedom a charter gives a community.