Why are Chinese take-out restaurants so stingy with duck sauce?

To tell you the truth, I’ve never had anything called “duck sauce” around here. Obviously, it’s pretty popular, since I’ve heard the terms used a lot by people outside my geographic region, but I have no idea what it is or how it differs from sweet and sour. Any ideas?

It has the same consistency and almost the same look as sweet and sour but slightly more yellow whereas sweet and sour is more of a pure orange.

Duck sauce is also not really sour, but is still sweet. It also has different flavorings in it that I can’t put my finger on, but if it had pineapples crushed into it to give it more pineapple flavor and sourness I’d feel comfortable calling it almost sweet and sour.

I’d say its a very mild version of sweet and sour sauce, but mostly sweet. Its certainly not sweet and sour in the way a sweet and sour dish would be.

Sweet and sour/duck sauce is the orange stuff in the jar next to the Chinese mustard.

The other sweet and sour sauce is the sauce that comes in a dish of sweet-ans-sour pork/chicken/shrimp.

But I’ve never heard of the latter being referred to as “sweet and sour SAUCE.” you refer to the dish by name – e.g., sweet and sour pork – there’s rarely any reason to refer to the sauce with the word “sauce.”

Sure there is – at a Chinese Buffet. You can have the fried pork/chicken bits independently of the sauce, which I call Sweet and Sour sauce.

Really? I did not know that :rolleyes:

HTF do you propose we should refer to a sweet and sour “sauce” that ISNT in a dish? Sweet and sour stuff that isnt actually a sauce but its the stuff makes the dish sweet and sour (and probably makes the sauce to boot)?

Did anybody here say “sweet and sour sauce pork”? And even if they did, your being a nitpicker.

My experience is in the D. C. metro area and north Florida. I’ve never cared for soy sauce (too salty), and for that matter, I prefer not to use any sauces on my meat or veggies from any culture (I don’t want the taste covered up or overwhelmed by a sauce or condiment); however, I do like to dip my egg rolls in duck sauce (sometimes mustard – I do like spicy). In my experience, it’s always been called duck sauce. My local Chinese carry-outs in Florida put all their condiments in a self-serve tray, and when you pick up your food, you take whatever condiments you want (no extra charge). In the D. C. area (Md. suburbs), I always had to ask for specific condiments, but no extra charge.

I’ve always known it as plum sauce.

As to the OP, maybe the restaurants think you are referring to the sauce they use to marinate the duck so they aren’t giving you any packets other than the standard soy sauce and plum sauce. Try calling it plum sauce to see if there are any changes to the number of packets.

I’m not nitpicking. I’m just describing usage as I have observed it directly. The term is used to describe two different things but there’s rarely any confusion because of context

Plum sauce - or at least, the stuff I’m familiar with - is different. Plum sauce is purplish-reddish, opaque, and contains stuff like plum juice and hoisin sauce. I usually only see it with dishes like moo shu.

Oh, and I’m another person who’s really only seen it called “sweet and sour sauce”, not “duck sauce”.

That just sounds like it’s hoisin sauce.

Plum sauce in a big jar

In a packet

Actually, the plum sauce I’m familiar with is this. It’s definitely not hoisin sauce. But it seems, from the wikipedia link, that plum sauce has quite a bit of variety.

Yep, there’s a lot of variation with these sauces… I’ve actually never heard of it referred to duck sauce before. And sweet and sour is something completely different… red without the tangy taste.

Anyway, it looks like that particular plum sauce you linked to is the kind you’d cook with whereas the one the OP is describing is the dipping kind, another variation of plum sauce. If you look at this link, it’s from the same brand, but it’s clearly more orange/brown.

It must be regionalistic…in the Pac NW we are saturated in Chinese food and markets which I frequent. I’ve never heard anyone refer to anything as “duck sauce” before. Plum sauce or hoisin sauce are the staples here, or sweet and sour sauce.

Another consideration. With soy, you are probably using it on the whole dish that also has lots of rice… The other sauce is used for generally dipping one eggroll. It gonna take much more soy to cover that dish than it is whatever sauce to dip the eggroll in.

Don’t you have to step on it?

“Duck sauce”? Never heard of it.

I can safely say, though, that Chinese food is extremely different between the US and Canada.

For that matter, Chinese food differs wildly within the U.S. It differs both in the quality of the food (from utterly terrible to absolutely wonderful) and in the type of food (the different regions of China that the recipe comes from and the extent to which it has been Americanized).

Well I am just thoroughly confused now. (Not an unusual state for me to be in. ;))

I have had duck sauce, sweet and sour sauce and plum sauce. And they are all different. The packets of duck sauce are sort of like sweet and sour but not exactly and plum sauce is different entirely. I like all three, but they have way different uses (IMO) different flavors and different colors.

I’ve lived in the north east all my life and have loved asian food all my life, but have experienced quite the opposite. In NY & CT they are always stingy with the soy sauce. Always have to ask for extra, very annoying, but these guys shower me in duck sauce like it’s their main purpose in life, we will receive an extra bag of condiments full of duck sauce 3 or 4 to 1 ratio. I enjoy both but prefer soy on most things, so kinda frustrating when i ask for extra and they give one. Must cost extra around here. Not sure how people eat this food with out, tried when I have traveled and each variation isn’t all that different, but maybe i haven’t traveled far enough!

For people unfamiliar with the name, the packets are actually labeled Duck Sauce and are an orangey colored sweet sauce that isn’t very strong.

I’m just rambling but that’s my fun filled experience for s and g’s :smack: