Why are Chinese take-out restaurants so stingy with duck sauce?

zombie or no

those ducks don’t grow on trees.

Wow…more posts after three years!

Anyhoo…the Chinese place my wife and I USED to frequent changed hands and has really started to suck, so we found a new place for similar cuisine. They give you the duck sauce in little clear plastic tubs with lids on them…like the dipping sauces you’d get at a fast-food restaurant, that is, maybe a couple of tablespoons of sauce in 'em. If you want extra, they charge 25 cents each. But you can have all the soy sauce you want! (BTW, to the poster who said that mustard sauce is the most expensive…my experience has invariably been that you get almost as much mustard sauce as soy sauce!)

BTW, a few years ago my wife went to our former favorite Chinese restaurant and asked where they get their duck sauce from because she wanted to keep a supply in the house because her husband can never get enough of it. The manager said he was about to place an order and he’d order her a box for eight bucks. They called her. She went to pick it up…it was a HUGE box, enough to ship a stack of records. Think it contained 1000 packets of duck sauce. And they told her no charge for it!

And that giant box of 1000 duck sauce packets? That ended up being wrapped up as a birthday present to me.