Why are men the bad guys?

In a thread on musical tastes, turpentine says:

It reminded me of a discussion I had the other day with an operating room nurse. We were talking about the recent TIME article on phobias and she said she was scared of snakes and jellyfish. “I was swimming in the water here when I was bitten by a jellyfish. He wrapped himself around my leg and stung me so I could feel an electric shock from my hip down to my toe that lasted for most of the day. Jellyfish suck!”

I asked her what a female jellyfish would have done. Would it have given her bread and preserves? “Don’t worry, my lass, I’m a jellyfish and have lots to spare. It;s just my positive nurturing instinct”.

It reminds me of all those “don’t shake the baby” commercials where the man is always the potential abuser. This makes a little more sense to me; though I doubt the statistics are always as strong as some claim.

So why are men either bad and insensitive, or completely clueless and pussywhipped, or antisocial and career-obsessed? Whatever happened to positive male role models?

Dr_Paprika, oh come on now! How many statues of FEMALES showing them accomplishing anything have you seen, anyway??

ARE there guys with the questionable traits you mentioned, sure. Do they get mentioned a lot, yep. But, GUYS do great things, and they not only get mentioned, many times they get immortalized too.

BESIDES, is there anything better than a guy’s husky voice, their wonderfully sexy big shoulders, their HANDS??? Uh oh…Anti must go sit in front of a fan!! :wink:

Your points are valid, but you sidestep the crucial jellyfish question.

Did your co-worker actually believe that the jellyfish was male? Because I’ve known quite a few people who automatically refer to animals as “he” - perhaps it’s just a case of misunderstanding?

Hmmm.

Well, I like guys. I’ve dated my share. Some were nice, some were great, some were not so great. I don’t honestly know if I can say that men are any meaner, more cruel, or more heinous than women. It’s just that in most cultures men get more of a chance to display, to create, to DO, so we get to see more of them, of what they do, and of what they leave in their wake. I’m not complaining. Just observing.

You are as cute as a button Doc! The female jellyfish would’ve killed her, since as a female, she not only would’ve been hungrier, she probably would have had to use the rest of the person as preserves for later.

Oh, I just grossed out myself! :frowning:

Doc: I recommend to you a volume entitled IDOLS OF PERVERSITY: FANTASIES OF FEMININE EVIL IN FIN-DE-SIECLE CULTURE by Bram Dijkstra, Oxford University Press, 1986.

“In this groundbreaking analysis of the development of anti-woman sentiment in literature, art, and thought, Bram Dijkstra explains how artists and writers at the turn of the century exploited the Theory of Evolution and portrayed women as instinctive, animalistic, and grossly sensual. Using over 300 reproductions of once famous but now largely forgotten paintings from this period and the writings of such figures as Zola, Strindberg, Henry James, and Baudelaire, as well as such cult classics as DRACULA and VENUS IN FURS, he presents a compelling cross-cultural analysis.”

I guarantee, this book’ll warm the cockles of your heart!

The last twenty years of television has been a barrage of commercials and public service spots showing how wonderful women are and generally contrasting them with negative portrayals of men.
That carries much more emotional impact than statues in the park or bronze plaques that no one notices.

Commercials are aimed basically at the female audience. Keep track of how men are lost or incompetent and women show them up just before displaying the product. Notice women always getting the last word and always being right. (I hate those phone commercials where Alyssa Milano tell weight trainers to exercise their brains for once. Or where Mom is sick and Dad is completely unable to make a bowl of cereal for the kids.)

And Movies! Men in movies are regarded as disposable. A villain can mow down a dozen males and the audience finds it exciting or even humourous but as soon as a woman is in danger, the viewers become anxious and concerned.

Why is it funny when a woman kicks or pokes a man in the balls? You see it on prime time TV every night but if a man shoves a woman, he's likely to be killed by the end of the show?

I’m croggled to see the ineffable Dr_Paprika so misled by the default masculine pronoun. If I were to see a jellyfish swimming nearby my last concern would be to sex the critter, even if I knew what to look for. Which I don’t. And I don’t WANT to know. I’ll just assume jellyfish enjoy the hell outta them and they’d probably just get even crankier if probed over-personally–and they’re not a barrel of giggles to begin with.

So the media casts males as the heavies in commericals, tv and movies. Women are usually cast as either dumber than ditch mud or scheming opportunists. Heck, neither gender is reflected accurately. (Of course normality ain’t exactly fascinating stuff usually.)

But consider how long it took to slap masculine names on hurricanes. Pure hell and fury slams forth, destroying lives and propery wholesale and what’s the riff? “Mother Nature sure has PMS!”

True idiocy is usually equal opportunity.

Veb

Ineffable? I wasn’t in my latest Pit thread! :slight_smile:

The use of the masculine pronoun in reference to the jellyfish reflects more upon a peculiarity of the English language than upon the intent of the woman using it. English has no singular gender-neutral third-person pronoun. “It” is neuter, referring to things with no gender; the language has no singular pronoun to refer to things of indeterminate gender. So in common usage, “he” is usually used when referring to something or someone of unidentified or indeterminate gender. The sexism is a function of the language itself, not in the person using it.

Well, reckon this needs to be posted. Many thanks to Rudyard Kipling:

The Female Of The Species

When the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster who will often turn aside.
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail,
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

When Nag, the wayside cobra, hears the careless foot of man,
He will sometimes wriggle sideways and avoid it if he can,
But his mate makes no such motion where she camps beside the trail -

When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws,
They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the squaws -
'Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale -

Man’s timid heart is bursting with the things he must not say,
For the Woman that God gave him isn’t his to give away;
But when hunter meets with husband, each confirms the others tale -
The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

Man, a bear in most relations, worm and savage otherwise,
Man propounds negotiations, Man accepts the compromise;
Very rarely will he squarely push the logic of a fact
To its ultimate conclusion in unmitigated act.

Fear, or foolishness, impels him, ere he lay the wicked low,
To concede some form of trial even to his fiercest foe.
Mirth obscene diverts his anger; Doubt and Pity oft perplex
Him in dealing with an issue - to the scandal of the Sex!

But the Woman that God gave him, every fibre of her frame
Proves her launched for one sole issue, armed and engined for the same,
And to serve that single issue, lest the generations fail,
The female of the species must be deadlier than the male.

She who faces Death by torture for each life beneath her breast
May not deal in doubt or pity - must not swerve for fact or jest.
These be purely male diversions - not in these her honor dwells -
She, the Other Law we live by, is that Law and nothing else!

She can bring no more to living than the powers that make her great
As the Mother of the Infant and the Mistress of the Mate;
And when Babe and Man are lacking and she strides unclaimed to claim
Her right as femme (and baron), her equipment is the same.

She is wedded to convictions - in default of grosser ties;
Her contentions are her children, Heaven help him, who denies!
He will meet no cool discussion, but the instant, white-hot wild
Wakened female of the species warring as for spouse and child.

Unprovoked and awful charges - even so the she-bear fights;
Speech that drips, corrodes and poisons - even so the cobra bites;
Scientific vivisection of one nerve till it is raw,
And the victim writhes with anguish - like the Jesuit with the squaw!

So it comes that Man, the coward, when he gathers to confer
With his fellow-braves in council, dare not leave a place for her
Where, at war with Life and Conscience, he uplifts his erring hands
To some God of abstract justice - which no woman understands.

And Man knows it! Knows, moreover, that the Woman that God gave him
Must command but may not govern; shall enthrall but not enslave him.
And She knows, because She warns him and Her instincts never fail,
That the female of Her species is more deadly than the male!

You fool. You’re talking about bears. I’m talking about jellyfish.
:slight_smile:

Oh, pooh, I misread the OP.

Please disregard my previous post. There are no paintings of jellyfish, or citations of literary works produced by jellyfish, in IDOLS OF PERVERSITY.