Why are Mumps news?

Well there seems to be plenty of coverage of mumps outbreak in cthe entral united states. Why is this news worthy, didn’t people get innoculated against mumps as children in the states. Measles Mumps and Chicken Pox were innoculated against as children since they are potentially dangerous if caught by adults. Is this a new strain of mumps unaffected by previous innoculation or what?

I haven’t seen the coverage, but I would expect it’s a big deal *because *mumps is one of the routine childhood vaccinations. Either this is a virulent strain or (more likely) the people affected were not vaccinated. The CDC likes to keep these kinds of things in the news to remind people to vaccinate (and scare those who choose not to.)

It’s a lot of cases compared to what normally happens. Since 2001, in an average year, Iowa gets five cases of mumps. They’ve had more than 800 this year.

That article points up an interesting statistical anomaly- 68% of the people who’ve gotten mumps have had the recommended two doses of the MMR vaccine. The problem is that the vaccine isn’t 100% effective, so some people who’ve had it still get mumps.

Of course, this is nothing compared to what we would see if more people refused to get the vaccines for childhood diseases. People do need to be reminded of how important those are- all too often, the nuts who think vaccinations cause autism or whatever get more news coverage than the number of people kept from getting diseases like mumps by vaccines, just because somebody not getting the mumps makes a pretty dull news story.

Well, it is being called the worst US outbreak in the last 20 years. (search “mumps worst” on Google News for more articles claiming that) Seems like a good reason to report on it to me.

Iowa Mumps Tally Tops 1,100 Cases

Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, South Dakota all have cases.

CDC: Exposure to Mumps During Air Travel — United States, April 2006

I imagine there’s also interest because mumps is one of those childhood diseases that can lead to sterility, IIRC. So, in addition to the statistical anomoly there’s the possibility that those who survive will end up with a life-long consequence from the disease.

When you get 200 times the average annual number of cases, particularly when a large number of those people had received the recommended immunizations, that’s no longer a childhood disease, it’s a bona fide epidemic.

Does anyone even remember the last Mumps outbreak in the 80’s?

I sure don’t.

Do we know what percentage of people received the 2 dose MMR vaccine?

So is it just the air travel of carriers that has lead this to become an epidemic? Why don’t the usual 5 cases of mumps / year turn into epidemics? What is special about this year? Do we know?

If this was in '88/'89, I remember a few cases at my university. One was the roommate of a guy I dated a few times, and one was a woman on my hall. They were offering booster shots at the health center, and I got one just in case.

I got the two dose vaccine (as have most people in this town, as it’s required for admission to the college) and we’ve had several cases. At least two people I work with have had it.

227 cases in Kansas, the vast majority are at KU as of April 25th. On April 18th, there were 67.